Your BWV tips urgently needed!

djmeen

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone!

Well, in two days we'll be back at WDW and for the first time since we joined DVC in 2005, we're not staying at our home resort of SSR. :scared1:

This trip - we're staying at the Boardwalk villas. :banana:

We're all (the 2 boys, my wife and I) really excited about this new little adventure.... but it is dawning on me that I don't know much at all about what little spots and stops we should really make sure we hit at and around the resort!

Here's where I'm hoping the more experienced BWV members can help us. :wizard:

- At SSR we know where the store is... does BWV have one too and if so - where is it?

- I keep hearing about Boardwalk Bakery - so what's are the hands down must try items?

- At SSR - picking the right room is a bit of an art (mostly because of the size of the place). What's the scoop on BWV? Is there a room/section/floor that ya think is worth trying to get? Or perhaps is there an "avoid at all costs" location we should know about?

- how many other resorts does the bus from BWV stop at?

Sorry I've so many questions - the vacation has snuck up on me but I'm not complaining! Feel free to share any other tips you may have :)

We are so excited about the staying at Boardwalk Villas - so thanks in advance for any help or wisdom to help us make the most out of the stay. popcorn::

I am far from a BWV expert although we DID just buy there! I'll do my best to answer some questions.

BWV's store is on the Boardwalk near the boat dock. It is much larger than the one at SSR but doesn't have a restaurant built into it (although the Boardwalk has several.)

We have only been to the bakery once or twice so I don't know that we really have favorites yet. We had a cinnamon coffee cake that was wonderful last time, though.

You will here people talk about the "long hallways" at BWV. Yes, you may have to walk a fair bit from the lobby. You didn't mention what category of room you are in because it makes a difference in what you request. If nothing else, a "near lobby" request may be good.

In June, the bus (coming from a park) stopped at The Swan and Dolphin (2 separate stops) then Yacht Club, then Beach Club then BWV - it was kinda painful. I don't know if it always goes to so many stops but it took awhile (as the SSR bus does.)

Hope that helped at least a little.

You can have no worries at all ,I stayed there for the first time this past may and it was great . The only thing you will need to know is that no buses run for epcot or the studios as both are in walking distance or a short boat ride to those parks . Have fun .

In June, the bus (coming from a park) stopped at The Swan and Dolphin (2 separate stops) then Yacht Club, then Beach Club then BWV - it was kinda painful. I don't know if it always goes to so many stops but it took awhile (as the SSR bus does.)

Hope that helped at least a little.

If coming back from a park the bus stops as Swan & Dolphin first, just get off at the Swan and walk through the hotel and cross over the bridge to the Boardwalk. It's much quicker than waiting out all the stops on the bus.

If coming back from a park the bus stops as Swan & Dolphin first, just get off at the Swan and walk through the hotel and cross over the bridge to the Boardwalk. It's much quicker than waiting out all the stops on the bus.

:cheer2: completely agree with exiting the bus at the Swan. Much quicker than the bus ride.

Love the Cheesecake Brownie (a snack credit) at the Boardwalk Bakery. You can also get breakfast pastires at the Belleview lounge. Flying Fish is my favorite place to eat, great scallops and crab cakes and the kids like the desserts. I always like to request close to the elevators, although I usually get the opposite.

You will have a great time. Now I am in the reverse situation. We are staying at SSR for the first time next month and am scared. I know nothing about that place. Any suggestions?

We have stayed at the BWV many times. As others have mentioned, def get off the bus at the Swan and cross the bridge. We very rarely use the boats to go to DHS or Epcot, walking is quicker. You will LOVE the proximity to both parks, as well as the Y & BC. I love walking into Epcot throught the International Gateway:goodvibes

My kids always enjoyed the BoardWalk Pizza window, but now that Via Napoli is open, and so close, (and the pizza is soooo much better) I do not see the point!

You can get refills with your refillable mugs there, as well as the BW Bakery, BW Joes, Leaping Horse Libations and at Seashore Sweets. Please be aware, here they do not refill your actual mug, but hand you a paper cup with your beverage of choice, and you must pour it into your mug. There are no self-service refill stations at the resort.

The hallways can be long, but honestly it has never really bothered us. We have always had a standard view, so we tend to be closer to DHS. It just means we are that much closer! :laughing: I do not think there is an "avoid at all costs" location. Feel free to ask any other questions~ and have a wonderful time!! !!

What size room & view do you have?

I typically only ride the bus to MK and BW is the first stop. I drive to AK and DTD. Walk to Epcot and boat to DHS.

Is there a room/section/floor that ya think is worth trying to get? Or perhaps is there an "avoid at all costs" location we should know about?
Any requests should be made to MS when you make your reservation or at least several days before your trip. Rooms at BWV are pre-assigned and I suspect at this point that your room assignment has already been made. I usually just take whatever they give us when we check in and have been disappointed only one time when they assigned us an HA room. I had no luck changing it since BWV was fully booked that week.

The BWV is a great location. There is entertainment on the boardwalk in the evening (magician, traveling piano player). You can see the Epcot fireworks from some rooms at BWV (boardwalk view or standard view).

You can walk or boat to Epcot and DHS. There are buses for everything else but they serve multiple resorts so it's a long slow trip to go anywhere by bus.

Have a great stay!

You will have a great time. Now I am in the reverse situation. We are staying at SSR for the first time next month and am scared. I know nothing about that place. Any suggestions?

First - thanks everyone so far for some great "insider" tips - especially about getting off the bus @ swan and dolphin and crossing the bridge to BWV's! :yay:

Am getting the feeling we'll really enjoy being able to walk to a couple of parks.

Kimpossible - regarding SSR - we LOVE IT! However I will say section choice is something we pay alot of attention to when we're there. link to resort map

Our favorite area to stay is in the Grandstand section - which has a nice little pool and splash pad, is the first stop within SSR when you come back from the parks, and is an easy walk over to the main building where the boat dock to DTD and the store/restaurant are. We honestly don't eat at Artist :-)artist:) Palette much - we use the kitchen for that kind of food.

We also don't really eat at the Turf Club restaurant either (have, but it's not a must for us) - BUT, I love the little lounge area outside the Turf club where you can order drinks from the little bar and order some bar food (#winning)! :cheer2: DTD just has so many places we'd prefer to eat at for sit down service.

Now - next time we go back to SSR, we'll take a look at staying at the Paddocks as they just opened up a VERY cool new pool area link to artist rendering of pool (as an aside - we love the main pool area too).

Things we love most about SSR include - really feels like at the end of the day, we're in our little home and away from the parks (the kids like walking around the resort and goofing off near the little lakes too); love proximity to DTD either walking over or taking the ferry (side note: last couple of visits we loved renting a boat from the marina and taking it out around the resorts by DTD); and I actually like the bus system from SSR - it always seems to work for us!

If anyone in your group likes to golf - the course is very fun to play and it's right there so easy to sneak in a quick 18! Oh, and one last thing - the SPA. Niiiiiiiiice.

Happy to answer any other questions - as you may have guessed we indeed love SSR :) :love:

As for BWV - keep the tips coming!!!! I am beyond ready to leave now -thanks to all of ya'll for helping to build the excitement for us! :cool1:

Check out the Community Hall activities - it's located near the leisure pool. It has games (video and board), crafts, free movie rentals for members, special activities and a wonderful staff.

If you & your spouse can do a parent's night out without the kids, check out JellyRolls. :)

Your family might enjoy renting one of the a surrey bicycle and pedaling around the lake.

If you enjoy mini-golf, you can walk over to the Swan and then across the street. Believe it has discounts for DVC members and annual pass-holders.

DVC members get a 20% discount at all of the Swan/Dolphin restaurants, except possibly Shula's. Check out the character meals - way less crowded than those at the Disney resorts and Goody is usually a hoot (even if you are not a kid, lol). The Picabu at the Dolphin has some good salads and sandwiches & a grill to make burgers, etc. that you can eat there or take back to the room. Also has packaged cookies, chips and other snack-like items. Believe it is open 24 hours and serves brewed Starbucks coffee. If Beaches 'n Cream is busy, check out the Fountain in the Dolphin. Great alternative and a 20% discount to boot!

If you want some bottled water or less expensive beer, walk out the front entrance and cross the street to the HESS gas station. Some folks bring a rolling bag along to carry their purchases back.

I think they are still doing Welcome Home Wednesdays at Atlantic Dance. If you need an air-conditioned afternoon break with some corny fun and a free snack, check it out. Last time we went, we each got a free DVC baseball cap when we left.

Can't think of anything else right now that hasn't already been mentioned. Have fun!

Take an afternoon break in the bellevue longue...they have replica old fashioned radios in there that they play old time radio shows on - it's neat!

Roast Beef and Bleu sandwich from the Bakery....Oh my, yummy! Then again, mostly everything there is yummy!

Take time to stroll the Boardwalk both during the day and at night, it is a different place at night--lively, entertainers, etc. and the lights are magical.

There are poolside games (the main swimming pool aka--the clown pool) during the day. The villas pool is really quiet and relaxing.

The community hall is nice to visit. Love the chairs outside to just sit and relax.

If your boys are old enough and enjoy sports, the ESPN club is a good place to grab lunch. My boys LOVE that there are TVs in the bathroom! I think there is a DVC discount for lunch there too.

This is one of our favorite places to stay. The only things we would like to see different:

There isn't a counter service restaurant with the exception of the bakery's few sandwiches, so be aware that if you are looking for quick service food, you'll have to go elsewhere.

There are too many stops for the busses but we always have a car and deal with it. (Getting off at the Swan is definately something you'll want to consider).

We love BWV!!! (SSR is our home resort and we like it also, but it is just so convenient to be near EPCOT and HS)

My kids love the Keister Coaster at the main pool. If your kids are on the younger side, they will like the Mickey head cakes at the bakery.

Another plus: At the end of the fireworks at EPCOT you walk right out of the park and onto the boardwalk. No crowds, no line to get a bus. Entering and exiting the international gateway is a huge bonus.

We'll be there on Wednesday....:cool1:

Bring good walking shoes...both parks are within walking distance and it is a pleasant walk!!

HH Extended Family Golf and Beach Blowout 6/2005
BCV MH Homecoming 5/2004
DCL 7-Day Eastern 1/2003
BWV 1/2002
DCL Cruise 4 day 9/1999
DVC Members 12/98 BWV
First married trip to WDW- Dixie Landings 8/98

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter