Young adults 18-21

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Hi. Me again. :blush: I have a couple of questions regarding the young adult scene on the ships, specifically the Wonder but any feedback will be helpful.

Our oldest will be 18 y/o on our cruise next year and I am wondering what the young adult crowd likes to do, what activities are offered, as well and any advice. Her siblings will be almost 17 and 14 and will be allowed in the Vibe together but my oldest won't. They are really close and get along well. I know they'll have meal times together but wondering what else? I am thinking maybe the sports deck and pool time? Could the 18 y/o and 16 y/o get pedicures together?

I know DD will like Palo and as this is her graduation gift, that might be a fun special treat for her. She also loves coffee (works for Starbucks now as a barista) so the Cove Cafe might be neat if she meets others to have coffee with.

Also regarding the legal drinking age. Will she be allowed to partake in Mexico? I know legally she can but what does Disney say about this? Obviously she'll drink responsibly.

:thanks: and :goodvibes

I am curious of the responses you get too....My daughter will be 18 on our cruise next year so was wondering about this age group also...She has always enjoyed hanging with the other kids she has met and still stays in touch with some of them from several cruises...

I am curious of the responses you get too....My daughter will be 18 on our cruise next year so was wondering about this age group also...She has always enjoyed hanging with the other kids she has met and still stays in touch with some of them from several cruises...

That's great! :thumbsup2 I can imagine the dynamic changes somewhat with less of an organized structure of activities but I truly don't know. My DS was a not a huge fan of the club on board when we cruised just this past April but did make some friends he stays in tough with. It was just he and I, without dad and siblings, so I'm sure that had a little to do with it.

Hi. Me again. :blush: I have a couple of questions regarding the young adult scene on the ships, specifically the Wonder but any feedback will be helpful. Our oldest will be 18 y/o on our cruise next year and I am wondering what the young adult crowd likes to do, what activities are offered, as well and any advice. Her siblings will be almost 17 and 14 and will be allowed in the Vibe together but my oldest won't. They are really close and get along well. I know they'll have meal times together but wondering what else? I am thinking maybe the sports deck and pool time? Could the 18 y/o and 16 y/o get pedicures together? I know DD will like Palo and as this is her graduation gift, that might be a fun special treat for her. She also loves coffee (works for Starbucks now as a barista) so the Cove Cafe might be neat if she meets others to have coffee with. Also regarding the legal drinking age. Will she be allowed to partake in Mexico? I know legally she can but what does Disney say about this? Obviously she'll drink responsibly. :thanks: and :goodvibes
I suggest she go to the 18-21 meet on the first night, usually held around 10:00-10:30pm at one if the bars that's where she will hopefully meet more people her age. As for activities, she can do everything minus the drinking stuff. For kids doing stuff together they will be able to do pool as long as not adult pool, sports deck, any family activities. For drinking in Mexico I'd say she would be able to on land, but not on the ship, so that'd be more up to you guys

it's important to go to the 18-21 meet that's on the first night of the cruise. If no one shows up they won't have much. Though she can do anything besides drinking stuff, but going to the meet in first night is great way to meet others and time if year matters as well sometimes there will be a big group and sometimes no group

I suggest she go to the 18-21 meet on the first night, usually held around 10:00-10:30pm at one if the bars that's where she will hopefully meet more people her age. As for activities, she can do everything minus the drinking stuff. For kids doing stuff together they will be able to do pool as long as not adult pool, sports deck, any family activities. For drinking in Mexico I'd say she would be able to on land, but not on the ship, so that'd be more up to you guys

Great, thanks! I didn't know they did an 18-21 meet. That's terrific! Hopefully she'll make some friends. She's very outgoing but you never know. I just don't want her in no man's land. I'm not trying to ditch her- LOL- but not thinking she'll want to be with us every minute.

I forgot she can go to the adult pool too. Yay her! I found the family and kid pool maddening. :scared: DS did too.

Thanks on Mexico too. Not sure she'll want to imbibe or not but I am thinking she may as it'll be legal and she'll be with us so I feel okay with it.

I just realized, I've got my Navigator's from my cruise. Those should give me and idea.

I'll also push that it's important to go to that first night's meeting. That's when the "group" meets with the CM facilitating the group. Everyone meets up and makes decisions as to what sorts of activities they'd like to set up while onboard.

This age group is kind of hit and miss, depending on college breaks, so it's quite possible that your particular cruise may not have a lot of people in this age group. Or there could be a lot. If she doesn't show up the first night, she takes the chance that group may not get off the ground.

On our MR cruise a couple of years ago (with our 19 year old) it was during winter break and there were about 12-15 people in the group. Now, most days/nights they tended to meet up in a smaller groups of about 5 or 6 (not always the same 5 or 6). And sometimes they all met up. We hardly saw our son except at dinner and most shows. I mean the time he would spend with us. We did see him several times around the ship with his new friends. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

Not only does it depend on college breaks, but also what other states that are on break too. In Texas, because of the early cut off date, you can find high school seniors who are 18. It really does just depend. I know on last NYE on the Fantasy it was a big group of 18 - 21 year olds. The 18 year olds were a mix of high school seniors and college freshmen.

This NYE we will be sailing and my daughter will be in the 18 - 21 but still a high school senior (heck at least half of her class will be 18 by the time winter break comes)

Also the 18 year old can drink at your table and sometimes at the bar if you sign the release. Most people are unaware of the release and is used more on European based DCL cruises.

Not only does it depend on college breaks, but also what other states that are on break too. In Texas, because of the early cut off date, you can find high school seniors who are 18. It really does just depend. I know on last NYE on the Fantasy it was a big group of 18 - 21 year olds. The 18 year olds were a mix of high school seniors and college freshmen.

This NYE we will be sailing and my daughter will be in the 18 - 21 but still a high school senior (heck at least half of her class will be 18 by the time winter break comes)

Also the 18 year old can drink at your table and sometimes at the bar if you sign the release. Most people are unaware of the release and is used more on European based DCL cruises.

I believe the release is only on the European cruises.

I'll also push that it's important to go to that first night's meeting. That's when the "group" meets with the CM facilitating the group. Everyone meets up and makes decisions as to what sorts of activities they'd like to set up while onboard.

Thank you for replying. I have found your input spot on. :thumbsup2 DS went to his meet and lasted maybe an hour.

This age group is kind of hit and miss, depending on college breaks, so it's quite possible that your particular cruise may not have a lot of people in this age group. Or there could be a lot. If she doesn't show up the first night, she takes the chance that group may not get off the ground.

Its the 5 night from San Diego to Mexico. Its selling like hotcakes but I am not sure of the dynamics of age groups yet.

On our MR cruise a couple of years ago (with our 19 year old) it was during winter break and there were about 12-15 people in the group. Now, most days/nights they tended to meet up in a smaller groups of about 5 or 6 (not always the same 5 or 6). And sometimes they all met up. We hardly saw our son except at dinner and most shows. I mean the time he would spend with us. We did see him several times around the ship with his new friends. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

That would be perfect. I hope she spends time with us because she wants to not because we're the only option. Dd you meet many of the friends he made? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around my child almost being an *adult*.

Thats interesting about the release. Thank you. I'll check into that. She will have graduated before the cruise but still be 18.

I believe the release is only on the European cruises.

Oh okay. I will call Disney tomorrow and report back. :thumbsup2

Thank you for replying. I have found your input spot on. :thumbsup2 DS went to his meet and lasted maybe an hour.

Its the 5 night from San Diego to Mexico. Its selling like hotcakes but I am not sure of the dynamics of age groups yet.

That would be perfect. I hope she spends time with us because she wants to not because we're the only option. Dd you meet many of the friends he made? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around my child almost being an *adult*.

Thats interesting about the release. Thank you. I'll check into that. She will have graduated before the cruise but still be 18.

Oh okay. I will call Disney tomorrow and report back. :thumbsup2

From the DCL website (bolding mine):

Q:What is the policy on alcoholic beverages?
A:The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage consent form allowing the 18 to 20 year old to purchase alcoholic beverages while in their presence onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage consent form in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the consent form at check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/beverage-policy/alcohol-policy-onboard/

I cruised at 20 and 21 went to the first night meet up on both sailings and was the only one to show up. So just be prepared that her being the only one is a possibility.

I cruised at 20 and 21 went to the first night meet up on both sailings and was the only one to show up. So just be prepared that her being the only one is a possibility.
yup it is, I had the same thing happen though on those cruises I knew some of the cruise staff so got chatting with them and they encouraged me to go to night club so I still had amazing cruises

From the DCL website (bolding mine):

Q:What is the policy on alcoholic beverages?
A:The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage consent form allowing the 18 to 20 year old to purchase alcoholic beverages while in their presence onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage consent form in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the consent form at check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/beverage-policy/alcohol-policy-onboard/

:thumbsup2 Great, thank you for posting this.

That's a bummer. Thanks for sharing that. Maybe I'll walk over with her and she can check it out.

This is making me think that maybe we should have her bring a friend....maybe.

yup it is, I had the same thing happen though on those cruises I knew some of the cruise staff so got chatting with them and they encouraged me to go to night club so I still had amazing cruises

I'm glad you knew staff who encouraged you to go to the night clubs.

DD is more than welcome to chill with DH and I. On my last cruise, I only had one evening where she wouldn't have been allowed to participate at the club.

This is all great info and insight. :goodvibes

We'll be cruising with our 18-year old son. (The trip is his graduation gift.) I'm hoping that we'll get to spend some time with him, but it's nice to know he may have options for meeting up with his age group on the ship.

Thanks everyone for the information! Sure hope there are some people her age...Have never cruised in October and with it being the 14 days I am sure she will want some people her age to hang with!

We'll be cruising with our 18-year old son. (The trip is his graduation gift.) I'm hoping that we'll get to spend some time with him, but it's nice to know he may have options for meeting up with his age group on the ship.

Ours is a graduation gift too. :thumbsup2 Great minds and all. I feel the same way. I want her with us as much as she wants but peer options are nice.

I think the policy for the release is if you are from a European country it is also ok to sign. Our table mates last NYE were from Europe and the father signed for both of his daughters for when we were at the table. We were on the Fantasy. So interesting what their written policy states.

We will do the Baltic and repo for a graduation gift. We may do one tour that is adults only which would be nice. Not much more than that since we are sailing with friends with you her kids. We will also have am adult graduation celebration in Palo Our NYE cruise we are also sailing with friends and hope to do a yep I am 18 years old dinner in Palo with them

Not much of a help but I was 20 on our last sailing on the fantasy in 2012 and I basically just hung around with my parents and boyfriend who were on the ship with me because I couldn't find anyone of similar age. I did go into the adult stuff/shows/games and had a blast. The adult areas are nice as well and I loved the spa, it was nice getting away from all the kids (I know disney cruise, what do I expect...) but it is refreshing to have the silence, especially on vacation.

As far as drinking I don't believe you can drink at 18/19/20 on the ship if you're in Mexico but I know you can on land. When we were at Grand Cayman I had asked what the legal drinking age was because I didn't really consider it Mexico and our response from the waitress was "I don't know.." sooooo with that being said... I had a few. lol. I heard at the Cpatains party you are not id'd for the alcoholic drinks so I'm really not sure if they just had bad cast members offering them or what the story is there.

There is plenty to do that is not too childish that they can do with the family such as the disney trivia which is surprisingly harder than it sounds and movies and mini golf etc. They will have a blast no matter what.

Hi,

This will be my first cruise in this age group. The previous times I've been were at ages 11, 14, 16, and 17. What's it like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter