You think flying is tough now?

Purseval

DIS Veteran
http://www.indyposted.com/109675/skyrider-airline-seats-give-23-inches-of-space/

In an effort to cram as many people as possible into an airplane, a company from Italy called Aviointeriors, have created the Skyrider, which cuts passenger space down to just 23 inches.

The Skyrider seat is being unveiled next week at the Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas conference in Long Beach, and could soon find its way into many commercial airlines that are looking to save space.

The Skyrider solves the problem of leg room, by basically standing the passenger up. According to USA today, these saddle seats could create a whole new class on airplanes. First Class, Coach, and the sardine section.

Budget airlines are already toying with the idea of creating a standing room only ticket in order to get more people on their planes, so these Skyrider seats are not too far of a stretch.

skyrider-seats.jpg

LOL. I am surprised at nothing the airlines do nowadays. I'm pretty"roll with the punches" regarding the airlines since I love to travel and my only alternative is to stay home.

wow.. if thats the case I can see the airline companies going out of business.. Im sure there would still be some who will fly, but cant imagine that there would be enough people that would.. Maybe Im wrong, which is always possible, but I know I wouldnt be flying if thats the case..

I certainly wouldnt stand for the flight and wouldnt sit in a seat like the one you have pictured..

I'm thinking that this would only catch on for short hops in Europe, where price would outweigh discomfort, and some people just about commute by air. I can't imagine it catching on in this country.

Wow...does that look uncomfortable or what?? I guess we won't be flying if that's the case!! We'll just save our vacation time and money and go on the road here in the US. We'd be helping our own economy.

As somebody who has spent many long hours in the well-worn seat of her saddle, I have to say that does not look remotely comfortable nor does it mimic in the slightest way the "cowboy" saddle they reference in the article. :scared1:

I'm thinking that this would only catch on for short hops in Europe, where price would outweigh discomfort, and some people just about commute by air. I can't imagine it catching on in this country.

actually Deb it's the opposite. Americans are pretty much the ones with more of a "Walmart" mentality. We want stuff absolutely dirt cheap, no matter if it's junk. I see that with the free dining. As long as the food is free it can be absolutely horrible, which it's getting worse year after year. Disneyworld Paris is absolutely 360 degrees different, they will pay the premium price for better product.
My inlaws are Portugese, the quality of clothing is waaaay better, of course the cost is also higher but they don't have the need to buy a new pair of jeans every week that we do over here (in general people)

So I personally think if southwest told people they could fly from Philly to Orlando for 19.99 but they would be standing up in capsules. The flights would be packed to the gills.

I dont like flying, and I would not like those seats. I think its ryan air where they are trying to come out with a seat something similar to that, but it looked like you standing up alot more than that? Would it even fit a babies car seat? Jo

The article I saw on this online also mentioned one or two of the airlines saying they would like to see people STANDING during a flight. These seats may be crash tested or whatever (and I agree, how WOULD you handle a young child or baby seat?) but unless they plan to strap you to the cabin walls what happens to people standing during turbulence?

Yeah, most CEOs of airlines are trying to do something (anything) to figure out how to turn a profit. Now that they're all merged up, adding fees for everything possible and are shrinking their costs as much as they can....the only things left are packing more cattle....errrr....passengers on the plane....and raising prices.

I'd never in a million years fly on a plane with that layout. I'd stay home.

Yeah, most CEOs of airlines are trying to do something (anything) to figure out how to turn a profit. Now that they're all merged up, adding fees for everything possible and are shrinking their costs as much as they can....the only things left are packing more cattle....errrr....passengers on the plane....and raising prices.

I'd never in a million years fly on a plane with that layout. I'd stay home.

God bless ya D' ;) I liked to think I had some sort of common sense but I just brought my plane ticket to France in March. $800 bucks. :scared1: I talk a good game but I wonder if some one offered me that seat to Paris for $199 would I pass it up? :rolleyes1

http://www.indyposted.com/109675/skyrider-airline-seats-give-23-inches-of-space/

In an effort to cram as many people as possible into an airplane, a company from Italy called Aviointeriors, have created the Skyrider, which cuts passenger space down to just 23 inches.

The Skyrider seat is being unveiled next week at the Aircraft Interiors Expo Americas conference in Long Beach, and could soon find its way into many commercial airlines that are looking to save space.

The Skyrider solves the problem of leg room, by basically standing the passenger up. According to USA today, these saddle seats could create a whole new class on airplanes. First Class, Coach, and the sardine section.

Budget airlines are already toying with the idea of creating a standing room only ticket in order to get more people on their planes, so these Skyrider seats are not too far of a stretch.

skyrider-seats.jpg
:eek:That is one company I would not fly with. SMH...:sad2:

LOL - would never happen in the US with our 60% overweight or worse adult population, of which, in this case, I am a proud member!

Even the girl in the picture appears to be laughing...

And where do you put your carry ons? Do I hear the cha-ching of baggage fees?

I have a bad back and there is no way my back could take one of those seats for even an hour and standing would be totally out of the question because if I stand in one spot for too long my back goes into spasm. I guess I'd have to start driving to FL which is not my top choice. I hope airlines don't go in this direction : (

We do have that "walmart" mentality for consumer goods in this country, but we also don't tend to have a lot of non-business travellers taking really short hops from hub to hub. I'm thinking of my cousin in London, who can take a short flight from City to Dublin, and be in her parent's kitchen on the other side of the city in less than two hours door to door. I think she's in the air less than 40 minutes, and it wouldn't take her brother in Brussels much longer. I live just outside Philadelphia, and I would never fly to my parent's home just outside NYC, since even though the distance isn't much greater than my cousin's trip, the overland journey is much more straightforward, and it would probably take me longer to fly than to take a bus or train.

Also, while we like and expect cheap, we're also used to things being big. Compare the average size of a car in the U.S. to one in Europe.

This is definitely aimed squarely at the European short-hop market. Americans don't have nearly the bargains that are available there. It is my understanding that the way that airlines are taxed in the EU, tax is due on the seat regardless of whether or not it is occupied. That's why you often see flights from London to Antwerp (or Dublin to Leeds) for less than $4; if you buy the ticket for so much as a penny, then YOU pay the taxes, not the airline.

This seat idea is just a sign of things to come in the US unless there is serious overhaul of the public transportation system.

The airlines here have been doing so many things so wrong - for so long - that it's impossible to fix with the current state of things.

Something that most people don't know about is how hard the aircraft maintenance industry has been hit in the US and now more and more aircraft are going OUT of the country to be repaired in countries that do not have the same standards as the United State does. Pretty crazy.

I've often thought that there HAS to be a better way to do this...
"This" being air travel -

Can't they just load us, along with our luggage into shipping crates that are equipped with the bare necessities needed during a flight??? I think I would rather fly with Fed-Ex :lmao:

Think about it! They could pick you up - curbside - and deliver you to the airport - and then deliver you to an address. As long as I have a window - a parachute - and access to potty facilities - what could go wrong??? :rotfl2:

So I personally think if southwest told people they could fly from Philly to Orlando for 19.99 but they would be standing up in capsules. The flights would be packed to the gills.

Stephen Hawking would have a hard time trying to refute that logic :thumbsup2

I don't see that happening for your regular flights. I mean I can see the commuter short type flights in europe, but for me to fly from CT to FL...not going to work. I wouldn't fly if that happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter