You might be Older than DIRT if....

mickeymousemom said:
Our old store in my teeny tiny town where I grew up used to have the coke machines where you had to pull the bottle out of it. I loved this machine and would get something from it anyday over a canned Coke. Golly, I miss the good old days... :goodvibes

I used to go to a place called The Shoe String, and the only reason I begged to go with my mom was that machine... I still prefer soda in a glass bottle!

I remember 4 of these things, plus we did get milk deliveries, but they were in the plain old store type milk containers.
I remember buying cigs in the machine ... for my older sister! Only 30, I only feel a little dusty so far.

oh, yeah, does anywhere sell teaberry gum anymore? I love that stuff!

disneylizzy said:
I firmly believed that my new PF Flyers would make me "run faster and jump higher".
...and could you "stop on a dime"?
We had 2 softball teams in 8th grade P.E. - PF Flyers and Red Ball Jets.

Yup, I got 10 out of 10.

10 out of 10.

How much did your first McDonald's hamburger cost and were you inside or outside when you ordered it? Was your first one a Big Mac? Do you remember their slogan for "Change back from a dollar"?

1) Candy Cigarettes-They still make these. . my son gets them at the newstand store.

2) Wax coke shaped bottles with colored w/ colored suger water inside-they still make these, too. My son has gotten them but doesn't care for them.

3) Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles- I've seen these on display. Never used it!

4) Blackjack chewing gum=They still make these and Beaman's and Clove gum-- but it's much rarer than it was.

5) Home milk delivery in the glass bottles with the
cardboard stoppers- Purity still delivers here in Tennessee!

6) You had a party phone line-I thought these went out in the 50s! How can anyone here have had one if they're under 40?

7) Watched black and white newreels before the movie-I've never seen these, and I'm about the same age as you.

8) Owned a pair of P F Flyers-don't know what these are.

9) Had a telephone number witha word prefix-My grandparents had this in NY.

10) Collected S&H Green stamps-ahh, my mother collected these. I remember these and some other kind of stamp, too. . . there were two kinds of stamps back then, although these may have been more popular.

Been there, done that. PF Flyers are around retro like Chuck Taylors. I'm not sure about the Black and White newsreels. I think that was before me or I just don't remember.

amy4bruce said:
I remember 10 out of 10 (I'm 54) and so much more.

Anyone remember

Actual double features?

The Teabury Shuffle?

"For bounce and zoom in every step, it's Keds, kids, Keds.
Those shock-proof arches sure are neat.
They sure are great for growing feet.
So be a champion athlete.
Keds, kids, keds."

"Does your shoe have a dog inside?
What a funny place for a dog to hide!
Does your shoe have a boy there too?
A boy and a dog and a foot in a shoe.
Well, the boy is Buster Brown.
And the dog is Tige, his friend.
And they're really just a picture,
But it's fun to play pretend.
So look, look, look in your telephone book
For the store that sells the shoes
With a picture of a boy and a dog inside
That you can put your foot into.
Buster Brown Shoes!"

The NBC peacock annoucing that "this show is brought to you in living color"?

Marky Mapo?

The thought that you could actually survive an atomic war?

Cars without seatbelts?

TV characters who smoked? Worse, comic book characters who smoked? (Not just cigars for tough guys, but, in the 1950s, Lois Lane smoked and this failed to bother anybody.)

I think I'll go to bed now. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I was as old as dirt with 9 out of ten. Then this list, and now I am waaaaaaaaaaaay older than dirt. :faint:

Deb & Bill said:
10 out of 10.

How much did your first McDonald's hamburger cost and were you inside or outside when you ordered it? Was your first one a Big Mac? Do you remember their slogan for "Change back from a dollar"?

I can't remember the price, but it was definately outside. You could not miss those Golden Arches, and then you got to walk up to the window. The sign would count how many were sold, and when I had my first burger there was 1,000,000 sold! We thought it was cool that the sign would change to 2 million.......

I only remember the candy cigarettes (and blowing the flour/cornstarch off of them to make "smoke"), and collecting S&H green stamps (Publix used to distribute the stamps when I lived in Floria - early 80s). Most of the rest I have heard of, but do not actually remember from my youth. I'm 32.

I remember most, but thankfully not all! I was amazed last week, however when I saw that they still sell candy cigarettes! They had them at one of the convenience stores.

I remember all of them and thank God I do. I don't consider being OLD a negative, especially if it's accompanied with WISDOM.

I remember my Dad NEVER getting mad when we picked on him about his age and always wondering why. He smiled at me and said one day "it beats the alternative."

I think he was right, God bless and rest his soul.... :teeth:

Nancyg56 said:
I can't remember the price, but it was definately outside. You could not miss those Golden Arches, and then you got to walk up to the window. The sign would count how many were sold, and when I had my first burger there was 1,000,000 sold! We thought it was cool that the sign would change to 2 million.......

Anyone remember Wetson's? They were pre McDonalds here in NY but same concept. Not sure if they were just a regional thing or not. I think a burger cost 25 cents.

I'm 10 for 10. I got some great gifts with those S & H green stamps. I never wore PF Flyers but other kids did. I fondly remember those days.

I remember 7 out of 10 (I'm 45). Here's the REAL kicker fior being older than dirt...... I remember when gasoline was regular and it only cost 19 cents at Andrews Air Force Base (1966)!

Well, it's official - I am older than dirt.

I remember all 10!!!

I am 55 and when I was a senior in high school we could leave the campus for lunch. I had a car (thanks Dad) and we would go to McDonald's for lunch. Hamburger, fries and a coke - 50 cents.

Those were the days.

Only 4 for me.

And dangit, it's not "old" - it's "experienced."

Candy Cigarettes are my boys' favorite candy. Youngest DS hits the corner candy store every day this summer and picks up a pack. Yea, a lot of people consider me mother of the year ;)

eclectics said:
Anyone remember Wetson's? They were pre McDonalds here in NY but same concept. Not sure if they were just a regional thing or not. I think a burger cost 25 cents.

I remember Wetsons. I'm pretty sure they were regional (like Carvel at the time). They were bought out by Nathans in the sixties or seventies, so you could get decent hot dogs at a fast food chain for a change.

On gas prices - in 1974, during the first great gas crunch, I was in grad school, watching To Have and Have Not with Bogard and Bacall. In it, Bogart is a charter boat captain. In the beginning, he totals up someone's charges, mentioning that marine gas, which was more expensive than regular gas, was $.29 per gallon. It got a huge laugh. I wonder what the reaction would be now?

10 out of 10. :( Guess I'll be getting myself one of these.

0018e53ef60a0f81b9b23fe20b6a0a4e.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter