You just found out your youngest

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
child when born there was a mix up at hospital , would you want to find everything out or just let sleeping dogs lie ?

I let sleeping dogs lie

My youngest?...I would return to the rightful owners and that would explain a lot :)

Are you watching "Switched at Birth"? That's basically the original premise of that ABC Family show. It's a good show.

Now if it happened in real life, it's hard to say. I'd probably wouldn't be able to "let sleeping dogs lie."

My youngest?...I would return to the rightful owners and that would explain a lot :)

:rotfl:

Are you watching "Switched at Birth"? That's basically the original premise of that ABC Family show. It's a good show.

Now if it happened in real life, it's hard to say. I'd probably wouldn't be able to "let sleeping dogs lie."

I am not, but if you open that can of worms might really hurt your child to the core, its a tough question

I'd be afraid if I let it go that there might be some medical issue that they need to know their real genetics. Something weird could happen too, like they married a sibling without knowing it!

Definite hard question.

I wouldn't want to open the can of worms, but I would be continuously waiting for someone else to come knocking on our door and demanding "their" child back.

I think the biggest question is how much harm would it do to the child. Do you find out the child you have loved (for any amount of time) isn't yours? Even without knowing the child wasn't yours, most people would probably question small "not our family" behaviours.

Makes me so glad my youngest was born in a birthing and recovery suite. DH and I accompanied him to the first bath...baby was never out of our sight. Yes, I was exhausted after the hospital stay, but he never left my side. Now, the older kids...each was taken to nursery at some point. They could have been mixed up. ;) But then when you look at pics of all of them...can't tell each apart.

:rotfl:

I am not, but if you open that can of worms might really hurt your child to the core, its a tough question

Not tough at all - the child I raised is the child that's mine ::yes::. I would fight like a tiger to prevent anybody from disrupting the relationship.

Not tough at all - the child I raised is the child that's mine ::yes::. I would fight like a tiger to prevent anybody from disrupting the relationship.

I agree with you but its tough cause of the flip side, your own flesh and blood might be living a life where no one cares for them

Interesting….

because mine are twins….

and

they are adopted.

Can I just give back my husband instead?:p

I guess it would depend on the circumstances. My youngest is now in college. If only I found out, then I guess I would feel compelled to tell him. My preference would be to let sleeping dogs lie though. I am happy with the one I got and there is so much more to a bond between a parent and a child than being blood related. We have memories and experiences that bonded us.

Luckily, my youngest son looks just like my husband, so nobody was switched at birth.

Nope. The dog would sleep for a long, long time. No way can anyone have my DS16 (or his older brother, for that matter)! He's mine. I'm wouldn't worry about him marrying his cousin or anything like that. DH was adopted in the early 60s when very little information was given to the adoptive parents. It would be nice to have medical history, but so far he's doing fine.

I can't imagine being in that situation. I have no clue what I would do.

Same with all those folks on Maury and Paternity Court.....especially the women who have been back to test 5 or 6 times to test different guys.

Just before I had my kids I said to my husband, no matter what happens, follow our baby and don't take your eyes off of them, even if they get whisked away right at birth. I was so paranoid. :scared:

So, yeah, I couldn't let sleeping dogs lie. I would want to know everything.

:rotfl2:

I would need to find my other child and make sure he or she was happy, healthy and being taken care of. I also feel everyone involved, including the children, have a right to know the truth. The timing of telling them would depend on their age.

:rotfl2:

I would need to find my other child and make sure he or she was happy, healthy and being taken care of. I also feel everyone involved, including the children, have a right to know the truth. The timing of telling them would depend on their age.

Yeah I agree with this. None of my kids look like me anyway and everyone always thinks they're adopted.... until they meet dad. I'm Irish and hubby is Native American. Let's just say his genes won. ;)

The day my twins were born, there were 3 sets of boy/boy twins born within 15 minutes of each other. I was on some pretty strong drugs and started freaking out. I thought that that was too many boys to keep up with and that mine were going to get switched. DH finally calmed me down when he told me that moms of the 3 sets were all of different races and there was no way that the boys would get mixed up.

If there was a mix up, I think that I would just want to make sure that my bio child was happy and with loving parents.

I have two boys, one bio and one not.....love them both the same. I would not investigate anything until my child was 18. The risk of loosing my child that I had raised and loved and have them taken away from me would make that too big a risk. There was a real life story quite a few years ago where something similar happened except one of the children had died. The remaining child was like pre-teen when the switch was discovered and the court battle was horrific. I can not really remember what happened, but it was ugly. I would always worry about my bio-child, but that would be very much like giving a child up for adoption. The laws in our county are so strongly in favor of bio-parental rights that loosing the child you had raised would be huge.

If the children were swapped I don't know how you would find out without other people (and eventually the other parents) knowing. The law has pretty much sided with the child belonging with their natural parents. So, if it came out that my youngest was swapped, I'd hope to work with the other family in a way that we could both be involved in each other's lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter