"You can go to Disney without kids?"

HGD24

DIS Veteran
A co-worker asked me this today when I mentioned that DH and I are going for 2 nghts without DD for our anniversary. He then asked what we could possibly do at WDW without kids :sad2: I was so shocked, I didn't know what to say. I then pointed to another co-worker who was sitting with us and said, "You've been to WDW a few times, you know there's plenty for adults to do right?" to which he responded, "I wouldn't really know since we've only been with our kids." Again, I was shocked. Here was someone who's been to WDW a few times and yet he still didn't get what a great vacation spot it can be for adults, yet he has claimed to me more than once that he has a great time while there and can't imagine vacationing anyplace else. :sad2:

DH and I went to WDW 6 times before we had DD so I guess I have a hard time with people thinking that WDW is just for kids or adults with kids. We've had some of the most fun, relaxing and romantic times at WDW when it was just the 2 of us. Yes, we have fun with our DD too, but it's a different kind of fun, it's the kind of fun you get when seeing things through your child's eyes, you know?

We get this ALL the time.

DH and I aren't lucky enough to have children :sad1:, so we go to WDW alone all the time.

People always say the very same thing, how can we go and have fun, etc etc.
I tell them that it is impossible for them to know if they haven't tried to even imagine it.

They sometimes get curious and ask me to talk them through our typical day at Disney World childless. So I say:

We wake up at about 7, get ready, grab breakfast on our way to the bus, hit rope drop at a park, ride all the thrill rides and headliners within the first hour to hour and a half, then we take it very easy, go to a show, take pictures, we walk up to a sit down restaurant for lunch, have a nice meal, maybe a couple of drinks, then slowly walk, boat, monorail our way back to the resort, we change, go to the pool, hit the hot tub, the pool bar. We go back to the room, nap, shower, and head back out at around 5.

Then we either go to one of the signatures restaurants (with an ADR of course!) or hit another park to watch the fireworks show, or parades and eat some yummy counter service out of one of our favorite spots.

We could also hit the House of Blues if they have someone playing or performing that we wanna see, go to World of Disney, play with the toys at the stores, do a bit of shopping, go to Ranglan Road and grab a beer. We might catch a movie at AMC, or go on the Balloon ride or watch La Nouba.

In October we gather a bunch of our friends and we have an adults only trip to eat and drink around the world. We walk Epcot 3 times or more in one day, taste at least one thing on each booth, try and catch all the sets for Off Kilter, try and get picked by the World Showcase Players, watch the British invasion, and have dinner at Biertgarten to catch the show.

Then the next day we go on all the roller coasters on property hopping from park to park. And having a heck of a time.

If they listen to it all, they normally get it, and now every time I go and they see the photos I bring back they say they are jealous :thumbsup2

I had the same type of comments when I went on my first Disney Cruise this year, but after I returned and everybody saw my pictures, everybody wanted to go on one. :laughing::laughing:

DH and I do not have kids- We have been there about 11 times alone and a few times with our niece and nephew.

I will take Disney w/o kids any day! I hate when people do not understand why we go but do not have kids. I tell them, if they have to ask, they are not doing Disney right and they do not know what they are missing:thumbsup2

IMHO- Disney is the most romantic place on earth.:love:

I've seen this attitude before. I know some people seem to get caught up in the fact that they're providing this wonderful vacation for the kids and don't think about themselves as much. They're getting their enjoyment out of entertaining the kids.

I had one co-worker come back from vacation grumpy. He told me, "I couldn't find a bar in that place." Probably because he spent a huge portion of his trip pushing a baby carriage around Magic Kingdom.

DH and myself(no-kids) go to WDW alone all the time. We have gone with friends who have kids and it is fun because you can see it through there eyes. But going with just my DH is the best.

Co-workers, friends and family just don't understand the whole concept of going without children. I just see so much more of the detail that is put into the parks when no kids are with use. Here are just a few: Windows on Main Street in MK, Details put into the Countries in EPCOT, Conservation at AK and right know the evolving of HS from MGM. There are so many things you can do without children and so many things you can do with children.

I totally agree! DH and I have had some wonderful times together at WDW, just the 2 of us, both before and after DS was born!

Since DS was born, we went once with extended family, who kept him so we could go out on our own a couple of nights, went on a long weekend just the two of us, and, most recently, took DS but got a Kids Nite Out sitter so we could go out one night by ourselves. The cool thing was, DS LOVED the sitter and still talks about how much fun they had that night--I think after 3 days/nights with just us, he was ready to talk to someone other than Mommy and Daddy!

I just see so much more of the detail that is put into the parks when no kids are with use. Here are just a few: Windows on Main Street in MK, Details put into the Countries in EPCOT, Conservation at AK and right know the evolving of HS from MGM. There are so many things you can do without children and so many things you can do with children.

I like to see the details of the dancing little bubbles in my champage I must get every trip from France:woohoo::rotfl2: The buzz carries you to Germany for a good beer.

ITA though- It is great to literally, stop, and smell the roses. Take your time through the ques and stroll worry-free through the parks;)

I USED to get that reaction from coworkers and friends. But not anymore...I've converted them all!

I've never gone with kids (don't have 'em, don't really want 'em)...I go either solo or with friends or other adult family, up to 6 times a year every year. I've been there AS a kid. ;)

I had three different friends who would all declare constantly how Disney was not a place they had any desire to go - or they had just been last year and it was misery. In every case, they went with the kid-centric crush of family, and never really had time to notice anything other than the back of the kids' heads leading them to the next rush. So they couldn't understand why someone who didn't HAVE to go for the kids' sake, would voluntarily expose themselves to that hectic mob of inhumanity.

So I brought them with me...and told them to drop expectations and just play along. 2 out of 3 were instant converts...immediately falling in love with Disney again, and coming home with that "oh...so THAT'S why you love to go to Disney!" look on their faces. They've since spent a portion of their time converting their other friends and family. The 3rd friend was a bit resistant...she couldn't help but fall into the old routine that was ingrained into her by going to Disney annually with her brother's family of 3 kids. She'd wake up without me, and head out to the parks to get fastpasses for everything, run from ride to ride trying to beat the crowd, weave impatiently and frustratingly through the masses trying to go a little faster than they were, getting very upset and angry at people stopping in the walkways to adjust a baby carriage or discuss where to go. Her stress and anger levels were boiling over by noon...her feet were killing her, and she was so tired at 9pm she was out cold. I kept trying to explain that she needs to just try my way, or at the end of the trip, she's gonna come home declaring that she's had enough Disney to last a few years, and needs a vacation from her vacation.

Finally, in the last days of the trip...she tried it. We didn't head to the park until 10:30 - AK. We had a great lunch at Tusker. We didn't rush to a ride, but instead I pointed out how the plants were imported and designed to match the locale, pointed out the tiniest details...things on the backs of bicycles, posters on the backs of poles you can't even see easily, rust on lamps, wear marks on ice axes in backpacks at the Shangri-la, etc. We hit Kilimanjaro...twice...because the line wasn't bad, and it gave a chance to see the animals better. We lingered on the trails, really observing the animals. We had tropical drinks sitting riverside at the fort by Dawa Bar, watching ibis come home to roost near sunset. We stayed an hour after park closing to let the crowds die, and strolled out relaxed, enjoying the little side trails all over Discovery. Caught a bus to Downtown Disney instead of our resort...and then hopped a boat back to our resort - just because. Hit a magnificent meal at Jiko at AK Lodge, with a great bottle of wine. Then played minigolf until 11:30. At the end of the day, we were both relaxed, contented, and she finally understood. The next trip back, she did all the parks my way, and has now gone back on her own twice - with a renewed love of all things Disney!

I've worked the same magic on most of my family...my coworkers (my boss, who would just make a face like he smelled something bad whenever you said the word Disney, is now AT Disney as of today for a week long stay...his 3rd since I gave him some advice of things to do, see, and eat while up there), and friends.

Looks like you've got some fresh meat who need to learn the ways of Zen Disney!

it is sad that people look at it that way. the first time i went to WDW I was 17, not exactly a child, and I had a blast!

I have a friend at work who is in her late 40's, single with no kids. She would LOVE to go to Disney World! Problem is, she cannot find anyone to go with. All of her friends are single, all about her age, and think Disney is for kids. She has told them over and over that it isn't, but they just don't want to hear it. We all know how not true that can be. I was talking to her about the Epcot Food and Wine festival, showed her the web page, she showed that to her friends, and they were still not convinced. She is so frustrated! I sort-of can't wait for the opportunity to go without the kids so I can do just what I want to do!! Don't get me wrong, I have loved going to the World with them, but I am looking forward to it being just me and my husband.

I may be in the minority here, but i fervently believe that children almost shouldn't go to WDW. I'm 44 and single, and have been to disney about 8 times - and never as a child. My problem with children is that most of them simply can't appreciate all that it has to offer. It's so expensive, parents save for months and months and often times years and years to take their family and many kids just want more, more, more. Or throw a major tantrum complete with "I hate you, mom!" when she can't get the 3rd t-shirt she wants, or whatever the case may be. I've talked to several parents in line who've driven hours and hours to get there, they finally arrive, payfor their tickets, are there an hour, and the kids want to go back and swim.

Is this all children? I'm sure it's not! But in my mind, until a child can fully appreciate the sacrifices that have occured in order to give them a fantastic vacation, they shouldn't go!

On the other hand, speaking as an adult w/o kids? There is nothing more relaxing and refreshing than spending 2 weeks or so getting to a park at rope drop and coming back after EMH! There's nothing like absorbing the disney magic as an adult!

I may be in the minority here, but i fervently believe that children almost shouldn't go to WDW. I'm 44 and single, and have been to disney about 8 times - and never as a child. My problem with children is that most of them simply can't appreciate all that it has to offer. It's so expensive, parents save for months and months and often times years and years to take their family and many kids just want more, more, more. Or throw a major tantrum complete with "I hate you, mom!" when she can't get the 3rd t-shirt she wants, or whatever the case may be. I've talked to several parents in line who've driven hours and hours to get there, they finally arrive, payfor their tickets, are there an hour, and the kids want to go back and swim.

Is this all children? I'm sure it's not! But in my mind, until a child can fully appreciate the sacrifices that have occured in order to give them a fantastic vacation, they shouldn't go!

Here, here! My DH was saying just today that most children shouldn't go to WDW...and certainly not until they are old enough to appreciate it.

And for being "The Happiest Place on Earth", we sure do see loads of screaming, crying kids when we're there.

I've been to WDW as a child, as an adult traveling with children, and as an adult without kids. Though I have wonderful memories of all trips, there is something special about experiencing the Magic with your DH...and DH alone.

:love:

i took the DS and DD in july last year. i just went for 9 days without them. i would kinda rather go with my kids because they make it more fun but i have NO problem going without lol!:lmao:

I have a friend at work who is in her late 40's, single with no kids. She would LOVE to go to Disney World! Problem is, she cannot find anyone to go with. All of her friends are single, all about her age, and think Disney is for kids. She has told them over and over that it isn't, but they just don't want to hear it. We all know how not true that can be. I was talking to her about the Epcot Food and Wine festival, showed her the web page, she showed that to her friends, and they were still not convinced. She is so frustrated! I sort-of can't wait for the opportunity to go without the kids so I can do just what I want to do!! Don't get me wrong, I have loved going to the World with them, but I am looking forward to it being just me and my husband.

You ought to tell your friend to consider a solo trip. If there is anyplace on earth where it's not awkward to travel solo, it's Disney! There is so much to do and see, so many friendly people to talk to and meet, and so much catered to serving a mass audience where you are just one of a large group of people. I go to Disney a lot...I live close by, get an annual pass, and own DVC - so basically it costs me a tank of gas and whatever food I eat to go there. Out of 4-6 trips a year, one or two of them are usually solo. One or two trips are with friends, and another two or three are with family. I love traveling to Disney solo so much that I actually break away from family for parts of certain days even when I am traveling with them, just so I can get a little solo experience.

i took the DS and DD in july last year. i just went for 9 days without them. i would kinda rather go with my kids because they make it more fun but i have NO problem going without lol!:lmao:

This is me too:thumbsup2 I'm planning an adult only trip soon.

According to Walt himself, Disneyland was NOT designed for only for children.

He said that he wanted to design a park where adults could share the experience with children. Specifically, he was frustrated that he had to sit on a nearby bench while his daughters enjoyed the rides.

He also always included a mix of attractions that allowed "young and old" to enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth. This philosophy is part of the success of the Disney parks, which was carried through to WDW.

I think one reason that past adult visitors don't understand how much WDW offers them is that they've not experienced that aspect when they take the typical see-as-much-as-we-can-in-as-little-time-as-possible checklist guerrilla tourist approach when they take their kids.

Though im still kinda young (24) I agree with a few PP'ers. When I have kids I will not be taking them till around 6-7 years old at the min. Disney has so much more to offer than what the majority of its visitors see and its a shame so many young children go and are overwhelmed with the time, crowds, and heat to "take it all in".

Xml guy hit it right on the head with true facts that ive recently read in the book "Designing Disney". Walt was sick of sitting down on the bench with other adults while the rides for just for kids. He wanted to make a place where young and old could come together.

DH and I are going on an adults only trip in August and I've been feeling a bit guilty about it :guilty: ~ I'm glad I found this thread! :thumbsup2

I had a wonderful time with my girls on our past trips but DH and I have never taken a trip (anywhere) without them and I am really looking forward to being able to just go to whatever attraction I feel like at the moment instead of having to take a vote or decide who is splitting up to go where.

I'll definitely go back with my girls again but this trip is going to be a real treat for me! :lovestruc

DH and I are going on an adults only trip in August and I've been feeling a bit guilty about it :guilty: ~ I'm glad I found this thread! :thumbsup2

I had a wonderful time with my girls on our past trips but DH and I have never taken a trip (anywhere) without them and I am really looking forward to being able to just go to whatever attraction I feel like at the moment instead of having to take a vote or decide who is splitting up to go where.

I'll definitely go back with my girls again but this trip is going to be a real treat for me! :lovestruc

WDW offers a world of romance for exploration. Get a window seat at the California Grill (at the top of the Contemporary resort) facing the Magic Kingdom during the fireworks. The Italian and French pavilions at Epcot in the evening, with fireworks in the lagoon, then a walk around the Boardwalk afterwards is a nice excursion. You might create your own fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter