Yosemite

momto2nenas

DIS Veteran
We are planning a daytrip to Yosemite from Denair (near Modesto). What are the top must sees of the park? Is it do-able in 1 day? TIA!

Drive down to the valley floor...see half-dome (from the road going through over the pass to Mono Lake)...the waterfalls (I saw Bride's Veil (I think) and it was awesome).

The park has so much to offer.

I'd say to definitely go to Glacier Point. If you take Highway 41, you will pass the turn-off to Glacier Point on the way to the Valley. Right before you get to Glacier Point (like a half mile, maybe?) There is another point called Washburn Point. Stop there first for a view of Half Dome & three waterfalls - Vernal, Nevada, & Illouette. Then from Glacier Point again, you can see Vernal, Nevada, and around the point you can see Yosemite Falls. The valley will be spread below you. It is a spectacular sight. There is a little hut there that has maps on the wall that illustrate how Yosemite was formed, and you can get some appreciation of the magnitude of the grandeur that is Yosemite.

Once you visit Glacier Point, you can go down to the valley. You will go through Wawona Tunnel and right on the other side, when Yosemite is unveiled before you, there is a perfect spot - Inspiration Point - where you can stop & see another view of the valley, seeing Bridalveil Falls, Sentinel Dome, Cathedral Rocks, Half Dome, Clouds Rest, El Capitan, and many other points to see.

When you go down to the valley, you will pass a little parking lot for Bridalveil Falls - stop there for a very short walk to the base of the waterfall. Down in the valley you can also drive to a parking lot and walk to the base of Yosemite Falls. I also recommend visiting the Visitors Center there, and perhaps stopping at Curry Village & having a pizza there at their outdoor deck.

This should really take most of your day, but if you just want to touch these places & see the most you can, then when you leave, going on Highway 41 again, pass the entrance to the park, and go another two miles to the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias.

I have a couple of links in my signature w/pics of Yosemite in them.

Thanks for the great info!

Mary Jo, my DD was looking at all your pictures with me, she was thrilled until she saw the coyote! She is currently going though a "fear of coyotes" stage, which so far is totally unrational since we live in Hawaii, lol. She is 4 1/2 yrs. old.

Oopsies! Let her know that we actually saw that coyote late in the evening when we were driving out of the park, and not in the valley. There are a lot of people so she will probably see a lot of squirrels, chipmunks (like Chip & Dale), and lots of birds. If you're lucky you might also see some deer.

I can't wait to show my girls the wildlife! I grew up in Ohio with a lot of those same animals all around but my girls have so far grown up in Hawaii (we are moving to TX this summer and driving from Cali - hence our Yosemite/Disneyland trips) and they have geckos and mongoose that's about it! yuck!

Mary Jo,

Thanks for the great information. I'm headed to Yosemite before Disneyland and I'll be there for about a week. I'm so excited, my last visit was when I was 12!:banana:

You can see many highlights in a day, but it is worth more days when you get a chance.

Jenn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter