• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yikes! The $ rate is in freefall

It means nothing in the current market. New rules are being written every day. At 1am this morning the $/£ rate was $1.55 its now $1.58 up 3 cents.
Toss a coin and you have as much chance as an expert of getting the right direction.

indeed...
if anyone could truly predict, they'd be billionaires....

although i do like the economic programs that the obama team is supposedly going to put in place (if you believe the new york times)....
so i'm hopeful....or cautiously optimistic...or not quite so suicidal over the economic situation ;)

How wrong was this forcast? Maybe they have it right for next year:rotfl:
http://www.forecasts.org/pound.htm

what were they smoking???????????????????

Well...Obama's projected plans for our economy is going to help the dollar continue to rise against the pound, Euro, and most others.

I agree that it's a bit ridiculous to obsess over the exchange rate. You should plan your vacation here, pay, come over, and enjoy. Believe me, all Americans welcome you with open arms...we want you here putting your money into our economy!

Hopefully we will be able to return the favor by coming to Britain and spending some money likewise.

Well...Obama's projected plans for our economy is going to help the dollar continue to rise against the pound, Euro, and most others.

I agree that it's a bit ridiculous to obsess over the exchange rate. You should plan your vacation here, pay, come over, and enjoy. Believe me, all Americans welcome you with open arms...we want you here putting your money into our economy!

Hopefully we will be able to return the favor by coming to Britain and spending some money likewise.

London's incredible, but also incredibly expensive - at any exchange rate :eek: :eek: but still worth a visit (or two or three)..

it's my favorite city in europe - and that's saying a lot, since there are lots of lovely european cities...

sorry for going OT.....

so let's see, getting back on topic...exchange rates....i'm 100% sure they will be rising and falling somewhere in the world...

I agree that it's a bit ridiculous to obsess over the exchange rate. You should plan your vacation here, pay, come over, and enjoy.

Unfortunatley can't do anything but obsess about it, everything now costing almost 30% more than beggining of year, along with my investment dropping like a lead ballon and sales in my business about worst they have been in 18 years of trading.
We have been doing upto 4 trips a year to US, next year our usual Easter trip has turned into a 2 night break in UK(just booked hotel last night) we were planning Alaskan cruise for end of May, now postponed that at least a year. August doing usual 25 nights, already half paid Disney cruise and fully paid flights. Only leaves our Oct break, will see how things go in next 6 months but can't see us doing it.

I can see your point but why obsess about something you cant change ??? My point was it looks bad compared with the last year but go back to five years ago and its actually exactly the same . After all the good times it was inevitable that eventually everything had to level out.
personally id lose everything ive got tomorrow if that meant that my ds would be fit and well so i wont be obssessing about the exchange rate *** im just grateful that he will be coming with us this trip no matter how much it costs!!!

We have just got back, we filled up our 7 seater mpv for $40 and never paid more than $50 for a meal out for 2 adults and 3 children. Once you've paid for your trip and tickets, the cost of living is much lower than here, as long as you don't eat in Disney the whole time!
Denise

Down another 4 1/2 cents again today:scared1: , its not looking good for the short/medium term :confused3 , I guess the tourist rate will be down to about $1.45 tomorrow! Still have hotels and tickets to pay for next years visit so hope it goes up over the next 6 months, but cant see it improving much.

Just had a look over on fairfx and it's $1.47 :scared1: Usually we don't pay for our dollars until around 5 days before we go and pick them up at the airport, luckily we made the decision to lend the money from my aunt back in September when it started dropping :worship: (plus it's interest free. LOL)

We were pretty gutted then with the rate at $1.72, suddenly that looks amazing and we have an extra $360 compared to now ....

I am getting really worried now because I have been monitoring the dollar since Jan and its just been a slow slow decline. Really really don't want to buy at 1.4 but if it keeps on dropping maybe I should.

I have decided that I will be using my card for purchases and room key for park purchases and just change up a couple of hundred for snacks and tips etc.

I just had to transfer our spending money (and next years DVC dues) to the States and between starting the process and hitting submit the rate droped from 1.50 to 1.47 (I usually do the transfer using Paypal)... :sad2: :sad2:

Part of me wanted to hang on and see if it got any better but the way things are going I'll probably be happy to get 1.47 in a few months.

I am so glad I took everyones advise a couple of weeks ago and paid my cruise off. It was 1.59 which I thought was quite bad then but now I am pleased!! Have still got to pay for the trips in $'s, but am not going to worry about that until Feb - at least I have got the biggest bit out of the way.

We bailed at $1.60.

Of course we were hoping to see if the rate went up, but we are due to fly third week in December.

Perhaps $1.60 wasnt so bad after all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter