Yikes!! Good friends are having Quadruplets!

This physician said most doctors transplant 6. :confused3 But that's neither here nor there. They are hoping she will make it to 32 weeks, September 14. She was put on bed rest (in the hospital) on Friday. We have gotten her lots of books to read, and are trying to think of other things so she doesn't go crazy!

Her two sisters are in college here, and they were helping with housecleaning while she was on bed rest at home. We have set up a rotation, and each of us at work have picked a month to pay for a housekeeping service once the babies are home, and her sisters are in school again. We are also having a diaper shower for them, although I know we likely won't make a dent! They already have a 3 year old, so they had one crib, and have another crib as a hand-me-down. I'm not sure about high chairs, although I guess that can wait. They will be sleeping two babies to a crib, I think.

I like the idea of meals after the hospital, and I will definitely pick up the book that was suggested! She has not read that one! Both the mom and dad have worked in the medical field many years - I am sure they are well researched on the chances of having multiples with fertility treatments.

And FYI, clomid has the lowest risk for multiple births. Less than 10% chance of having twins. Yes, much greater than the under 1% for the general pop, but the chances of this happening were slim at best. I wasn't asking for judgement, just suggestions on how to make their lives easier - and thanks so much to those of you giving that! It is appreciated more than you know!

If she took clomid then there were no embryos to implant. Clomid does have a higher chance of multiples than no medication. But when you do IVF and transfer (not really implant) you wouldn't be on clomid, but as others have said you are on a number of different shots.

Agreed that 4 is not conservative. I just had a failed IVF cycle and we transferred 4 in an effort to be extremely aggressive because of my age (41) and fertility history (a hot mess).

I hope that your friend is able to carry all 4. That is a very large number and many pregnancies of that number unfortunately do not carry to term.

Editing to add that I hope I didn't sound harsh. I literally just finished my failed IVF and it's a touchy subject for me at the moment. I do, of course, wish your friend the best. I think you have gotten good advice about meals, housecleaning, etc. I'm sure you will be a great support to her.

Hope everything goes well with the pregnancy and that mommy and all babies stay healthy.
This is however the reason why Icelandic doctors never put more than 2 embryos in.

Just to clear up your worries about Clomid...

Your friend's quads aren't related to the drugs she took in order to stimulate ovulation and get follicles ready for harvest. She had 4 embryos transferred. The chance of multiples goes up with more embryos transferred.

If you're going to take Clomid but not planning IVF, you should consider the statistics for people who have used Clomid in a similar way. I think that's what your doctor is quoting.

I hope your friend's pregnancy goes well! I agree with some prior posters that it's way too soon to say "my friend is having quadruplets"... your friend is pregnant with quadruplets. Keep it upbeat and positive but don't count your chickens before they're hatched... ugh, that is a terrible proverb for this situation but you know what I mean.

I have a friend with who had a set of sextuplets after two sets of twins. When she was pregnant with the sextuplets, we did a lot of chatting. SHe really did not need too much help. Once the babies were born, I made sure I was a big part of the crew that was there to help. It was quite an undertaking, but just being there to offer any help she needed was the best thing I could think of. She did not want help with laundry or her house work. But she did take offers of help with dinners and baby duty. Many happy hours spent enjoying the miracle of her babies. Good luck to your friend and her family.

Hope everything goes well with the pregnancy and that mommy and all babies stay healthy.
This is however the reason why Icelandic doctors never put more than 2 embryos in.

Not sure what kind of insurance coverage there is in Iceland. Are companies required to cover fertility treatments and/or do you have national healthcare? Here in the U.S., most health insurance does not cover fertility treatment, and the fertility clinics are not regulated. Therefore, patients SOMETIMES push for more embryos to be transferred (since they've spent about $10,000 for the treatment and they want to ensure a pregnancy) and/or doctors MAY push to transfer more embryos to improve the success rate of their clinics (reputable clinics do NOT do this).

Just to clear up your worries about Clomid...

Your friend's quads aren't related to the drugs she took in order to stimulate ovulation and get follicles ready for harvest. She had 4 embryos transferred. The chance of multiples goes up with more embryos transferred.

If you're going to take Clomid but not planning IVF, you should consider the statistics for people who have used Clomid in a similar way. I think that's what your doctor is quoting.

I'm still not sure if the OP's friend did IUI or IVF. What she is saying does not really make sense to me. I have never heard of Clomid used for ovary stimulation with IVF, but maybe that's a new thing...?

Maybe the "four" the doctor referred to were actually mature follicles that they saw on U/S prior to IUI???

I have a friend with who had a set of sextuplets after two sets of twins. When she was pregnant with the sextuplets, we did a lot of chatting. SHe really did not need too much help. Once the babies were born, I made sure I was a big part of the crew that was there to help. It was quite an undertaking, but just being there to offer any help she needed was the best thing I could think of. She did not want help with laundry or her house work. But she did take offers of help with dinners and baby duty. Many happy hours spent enjoying the miracle of her babies. Good luck to your friend and her family.

sounds like the Hayes family on TLC...Table for 12???

I know someone that had a 3 year old and found she was pregnant(not on fertility) and she had QUINTS!! So she had 6 kids under 4!:scared1: ALL BOYS!

Her favorite "help" was getting a night out or even an afternoon out. It's very difficult to find someone to watch that many babies at one time. I think being available is the best gift you can give.

Congratulations to your friend! If she has an older sibling then she understands that the first 6 months will be extra tough. While many quad pregnancies can develop multiple complications, she should also have in mind that they could come home much earlier than she expects.

I spent the last 2 months of my pregnancy in the hospital on bedrest, though I had been on bedrest at home from the very beginning anyway. Not one minute of the pregnancy was easy, but I wouldn't trade any of it for my 4 healthy and active 5 year olds!

A great resource and support is MOST. You can find them at MOSTonline.com

MOST stands for Mothers Of SuperTwins. They have a incredible data bank of statistics and library of information packets on everything from breastfeeding multiples to school placement. They are all mothers of HOMs and know exactly where your friend is and where she will be going in regards to the pregnancy.

Also, if your friend wants to talk to another mom of quads, I am happy to pm my phone number to you.

Good luck and God Bless.

I am the mom of 8 1/2 year old quadruplets (via IUI). MOST (Mothers of Super Twins) is a great resource to hook up with. I carried my babies for 34 weeks and 1 day. I drank so much water (128 oz every day!) and I believe that helped. I was overly cautious about everything. I would not buy 4 of anything until I hit about 25 weeks. Because, realistically, quadruplet pregnancies may not always end successfully.

My husband and I are very fortunate, and we know that. Our children are beautiful and healthy. And we never stop appreciating that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter