YIKES!!! Does DVC really book up this fast?

Thank you all for the replies! I didnt mean to come off too picky. I thought I had the option to be a little picky based on what I was previously told about Disney down times. But it's OK, I still love you Disney!! Now I understand that booking at 11 then 7 is KEY! I'll be sure to book soon for my next year vacation in April.
As for the weeks in May still available, I appreciate some of you finding weeks available at SSR, but we have to small boys (1,3, and a little girl on the way, OMG!!!!) and were really hoping to stay at the AKL because of the animals and the sweet splash park area! Again, thanks so much for the DVC booking insight.

OK.

I think the real problem here is not "I can't find resorts" but "I can't find what I wanted" Sorry but that's a different issue then the one you orignally posted.

As a late booker I generally don't have any issues, but I don't have to have a certain location, view etc. If you plan to book late then you need to accept the fact that your "preferred view" isn't always going to be the option you get.

OK.

I think the real problem here is not "I can't find resorts" but "I can't find what I wanted" Sorry but that's a different issue then the one you orignally posted.

As a late booker I generally don't have any issues, but I don't have to have a certain location, view etc. If you plan to book late then you need to accept the fact that your "preferred view" isn't always going to be the option you get.

Yes, I totally understand this NOW. When I first got on I thought the world was my oyster and I'd have pick of mostly all resorts at all room types in a non "peak" month. Soon realized "not so much.". We're actually not usually late planners either. We like booking a year out and starting a countdown with the kids. This is a rare occasion where I'll be switching jobs and wont have vacation till after a year with my new job so we decided we throw in a trip right after our DVC was completed. But to tell u the truth, I really like searching for that better room. It keeps my wife and my mind on Disney thoughts. Ain't nothing wrong with that. We actually had the option to either book the whole week at boardwalk but decided we wanted to get a taste of two resorts since we've never been to either. We also had a chance to swap our boardwalk days with wilderness lodge. We stayed with boardwalk cus it seems pretty cool to be able to walk to Epcot. Getting super excited and still keeping my eye out for that savannah view to possibly open up! Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog!!!!!

Yes, I totally understand this NOW. When I first got on I thought the world was my oyster and I'd have pick of mostly all resorts at all room types in a non "peak" month. Soon realized "not so much.". We're actually not usually late planners either. We like booking a year out and starting a countdown with the kids. This is a rare occasion where I'll be switching jobs and wont have vacation till after a year with my new job so we decided we throw in a trip right after our DVC was completed. But to tell u the truth, I really like searching for that better room. It keeps my wife and my mind on Disney thoughts. Ain't nothing wrong with that. We actually had the option to either book the whole week at boardwalk but decided we wanted to get a taste of two resorts since we've never been to either. We also had a chance to swap our boardwalk days with wilderness lodge. We stayed with boardwalk cus it seems pretty cool to be able to walk to Epcot. Getting super excited and still keeping my eye out for that savannah view to possibly open up! Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog!!!!!

I totally agree with your way of thinking :) there is NOTHING more exciting then planning your first trip and dreaming about the different resorts and what wonderful things each bring to the table.. you just can't get there fast enough !! News flash !! that feeling doesn't change even after booking your UMTEENTH trip.. Welcome aboard the crazy Disney train and may this be the first of many wonderful memories to share with your family and ours pixiedust:

Don't forget that timeshares, by definition, are designed to be at 100% occupancy all the time. Though Disney wishes this were true of its hotels, that is hardly the case. Witness "free dining" and the likes.

Unfortunately, this is one of the things I least understood about DVC and timeshares in general when we purchased. We can hardly ever adapt ourselves to booking at 11 months out and rarely even at 7. For this reason, we rarely get to stay at one of our home resorts (BLT). Fortunately, we own at Kidani too and it's one of the larger resorts so it's generally easier inside 7 months (depending still on time of year, of course).

You will adapt. It's just part of the learning curve. You can usually find a room somewhere in the system if you have a little flexibility. Ironically, had it not been for this, we probably would have never discovered of WDW's and DVC's true treasures, OKW.

I totally agree with your way of thinking :) there is NOTHING more exciting then planning your first trip and dreaming about the different resorts and what wonderful things each bring to the table.. you just can't get there fast enough !! News flash !! that feeling doesn't change even after booking your UMTEENTH trip.. Welcome aboard the crazy Disney train and may this be the first of many wonderful memories to share with your family and ours pixiedust:

That makes me so happy to read that this feeling never gets old!!!! Can't stop smiling!!!!! :) NEW UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! We did have 4 days standard view at Kidani and 3 days with pool/garden view at Boardwalk, NOW we have 3 days Savannah View (OH YEAH!) at kidani and 4 days at boardwalk. I think our perfect book for this trip will be 4 days savannah at Kidani and 3 days boardwalk view at Boardwalk. Still checking everyday!!!!! It's only been great news so far. I did read somewhere that Boardwalk view rooms can be slightly noisy at night. Anyone ever stay there can agree or disagree? Also, a lot of the earlier messages stated SSR was a great resort for kids. I think we'll try them next time. Whomever reads this, please post ur Most Favorite and Least Favorite resort that you've stayed at. I would assume everyone has different opinions for different reasons but I'd like to see where people stand. Thanks and have an awesome day!!!

I think our perfect book for this trip will be 4 days savannah at Kidani and 3 days boardwalk view at Boardwalk. Still checking everyday!!!!! It's only been great news so far. I did read somewhere that Boardwalk view rooms can be slightly noisy at night. Anyone ever stay there can agree or disagree? Also, a lot of the earlier messages stated SSR was a great resort for kids. I think we'll try them next time. Whomever reads this, please post ur Most Favorite and Least Favorite resort that you've stayed at. I would assume everyone has different opinions for different reasons but I'd like to see where people stand. Thanks and have an awesome day!!!

With such young kids and a baby en route, I would prefer Jambo to Kidani. We stayed both last year at the time my kids were 5 & 3, for the second trip we had just found out my wife was pregnant--she's due in 4 weeks...yikes!). I found Kidani to be isolated, and there was no counter service or buffet like you get a Jambo. Jambo is more of a typical resort, with all the amenities. Kidani has a tiny lobby, one sit down restaurant and a very small shop with limited selections. Yes, you can get over to Jambo, but I know from experience that the further you have to travel with children of that age, the harder it is.
Don't get me wrong, Kidani is beautiful. I am only speaking about the convenience factor, based on our experience. This is just my opinion; I am definitely not suggesting that you won't enjoy Kidani. I personally would just find Jambo easier. As for Savannah views, it's really cool but keep in mind that there are tons of viewing areas around the resort, so you will see plenty of animals either way. And again, I am not saying that Kidani won't be a wonderful, fun experience.

With regards to a split stay (and it's good to only move once in 7 days, twice is a bit much), take advantage of the fact that the resorts are very accommodating in this regard. Bell services will come and take your bags (I found the Kidani bell services to be exceptional) and send them to the Boardwalk. If you have leftover food to bring, they will store that and send it over as well. Just plan accordingly--check out is 11 a.m., and you might not have your next room until 4 or later (not likely later, but not impossible--plan for the worst). So have a day bag with changes of clothes for the kids, bathing suites, whatever you might need.

I have never stayed Boardwalk view but have heard stories of noise. People will be out on the Boardwalk later in the evening/night, so assume you'll hear something. I remember a recent thread from somebody who got an entire sobbing, drunken breakup argument that went on for about 30 minutes right outside their room. However, most seem to love the experience so I wouldn't be too worried--it's worth the try and it's only 3 nights. They are hard rooms to get though. Either way, you will like BWV. Not having to deal with buses to the parks is fantastic, and both DHS and Epcot are close by. As a suggestion, we always found that our kids love the boat from Beach Club or Boardwalk to DHS, but when one of them gets tired if you are looking for a nice way to get them to nap just take the walking path back to Boardwalk on your way back from DHS. It's really quiet, peaceful and right along the water. It's about 15 minutes, and its our go-to method for getting a nap in.

As for favorites, I have not been to or stayed at all, but of those I have stayed at or visited/toured my order would be BCV, BWV, AK Jambo, BLT, Kidani........of those I am yet to visit or stay at my desired order of preference is VWL, OKW, SSR. (Not including HHI and VB, just talking on-site).

Finally, you mentioned Garden Grocer. We have used them 5 times, not one problem or mistake, prompt service and reasonable prices. We appreciate their professional service, so I have no reason to try anybody else. I know others like WeGo Shop, both have stellar reputations. One word of advice: Don't over-order! We find it a nice way to get some essentials though, for the kids especially, like diapers (saves a lot of room in the suitcase), sunscreen, snacks, breakfast items, fruit....

Good luck with the planning, to me it's almost half the fun.

:goodvibes we are making second trip to the world as DVC member this summer! Both trips have been to AKL, our home resort and since im an anal retentive sort I booked our second trip on the 1st day of the 11 month period. the only problem was as an 9 day trip I had to call the next day to add the 8th nite. We love Kidani and are trying Jambo, club level this trip.

I anticipate making next years ressies at AKL at the 11 month window and then checking in December for other resorts at the 7 month window, we are thinking beach club :beach: or board walk :cool1: for trip number 3:banana:

Finally we are proud owners of DVC! We have been anxiously awaiting this moment for over a month now. So of course the first thing I do is see what options I have at booking a resort in May. Ah! No openings for a full week. So we ended up splitting our stay between three resorts. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but better than the alternative. Slightly bummed about the setup, I researched rooms available at 7 months out. Just about everything seems to be booked. So I tried booking in September (down time for Disney) and still have issues with unavailable 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom options. Am I doing something wrong or is it nearly impossible to book a room for a week outside of the 11 month range of ur home resort? Before buying I was told by multiple Disney employees that booking during offseason isn't a problem. Is there a secret to getting a week at a 1 or 2 bedroom preferred view resort? Please say yes!!!! Any suggestions are appreciated.

it's strange to me that may is booked? we just booked at blt for easter break and we don't own there so it wasn't until the 7month window but it was only for 4 nights so i guess that could be the difference? i'm surprised about may being busy though!

My kids LOVE the SSR pools and splash areas. And I would find a way to make sure we aren't moving before I'd take a trip. Relocating rooms once sucks, let alone 3x! :scared1:

i agree that moving resorts is a pain even with disney transporting luggage for you (we stayed at pop then went to okw) and the ssr pools are great plus i always feel like ssr is a nice quiet break from the action in the parks. they also just redid the paddock pool (which i loved) to be more of a main feature pool so no matter where you stay, you should be pretty close to a pool

it's strange to me that may is booked? we just booked at blt for easter break and we don't own there so it wasn't until the 7month window but it was only for 4 nights so i guess that could be the difference? i'm surprised about may being busy though!

Sometimes it is just one random night that will prevent you from getting what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter