YIKES! CRACKED ceramic top of my stove!

KKB

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if the top can be replaced for a reasonable amount?
Or am I doomed to the "it's almost as cheap to replace the whole thing" syndrome???

(we had company over...the girls saw it as an opportunity to get all stainless appliances!! I was beginning to hate my dishwasher...our 2nd fridge died a year ago...but the expense!~)

OF COURSE we just bought new family room furniture & TV.(hey, they were all 15 years old...that TV WAS gonna die soon...furniture had holes!!!)
Then the computer monitor died...
Now the stove....
You know how these things come in 3s...I'm just hoping it isn't a furnace or a car!!!!!!

I don't know how much it will cost, but you can look up the part number and check out the price online. Here is a helpful link to help you find the part number.

http://www.appliance411.com/parts/

But things DON'T look good....
There is no ceramic top listed!
(this is a signifigant crack...looks like a 6" capital D, and it caved in)
Nuts!
That's WDW $!!!
Gotta keep an eye out for "1 year no finance charges" deals!

I have a ceramic top stove and am wondering how you cracked it so good. Just wondering because that would be my luck. Hope you find some good newsbb

This recently happened to my cousin's stove (she bought it and it happened right afterward. I felt guilty because the reason she bought it was because I liked mine so much).

She got a replacement part from the manufacturer and had it installed. I think it was 200-300 for the part and labor.

About 2 years ago, I shattered the top on my stove. By doing some online searching, I found a repalcement top for under 200.00, and then my husband, who is relatively handy, was able to put it on. It was not too labor intensive.

$200 plus labor...they sure to make it hard to make it cost effective! (DH is NOT handy, darn it!)

I was making Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, and it didn't pop open when I tore the wrapper off...I tapped it on the stove; I was going for the edge, but obviously tapped the top. There was a 1" crack on the top from unknown source...guess I just tapped at the wrong spot. I think 3 of the 4 burners are fine, but the one is unuseable.

Well....dunno WHAT we will do at this point...thanks for all the info!

My husband broke the top of our stove last year. He was trying to break apart frozen hamburgers and slipped and put a big crack in the top of the stove. They told us it would be $50 less than a new one to have it replaced and installed. We are not a handy family, so we just had to go and buy a new one! My husband just breaks things and can't fix them!

:rotfl2:

We have had 2 glass stovetops break in 5 years time. The first one was broken by our daughter trying to break apart frozen chicken breasts on the stovetop by banging them on it. Needless to say, she broke it in a BIG way. We looked online for the mfg. website, found the new top, ordered it and my husband put it on. It was about $200.00 back then (about 5 yrs. ago). Now, we are in a different house with a creamic/glass stovetop. It is about 2 1/2 yrs. old. It develped a small crack-we don't know how-that only grew as I tried to clean it. We went to the store to pick out a new stove cuz it was $500.00 for a new top for this stove online. I figured the stove could be replaced for not much more than that so why bother. I was going to give the stove to my sister for an extra oven in the basement. When we talked to the salesman, he asked how old the stove was and what kind it is. He said at that time for that stove they were warrantied for 3 yrs. against breakage for the glass tops. I said I wasn't sure how it cracked and he saidif it cracked from getting too hot from cooking, then it is covered under warranty. Well, I know nothing was dropped on it so I guess it must have cracked from high heat and the crack only grew as I pressed on it to clean the stovetop. We called the mfg. and it WAS covered under warranty. It cost us $60.00 for the labr but the part was free. The salesman saved us alot of money! Anyway, check to make sure yours is not under any warranty from breakage from cooking and getting too hot. If it is, go that route, if not, check the manufacturers website for the cost of a replacement part. If you can't find it, call the company and ask the price. Some cost mope than others, it depends on teh type. Most are not that hard to put in either. Check it all out before buying a new one. If you do, wait for a good sale and be careful using yours until then. Don't get any water inside the crack, the electrical elements and wires are in there and should not get wet. good luck!:)

I just received an email from sears.com

No Interest No Payments for 18 months and Free Shipping on all Appliances:thumbsup2

Tonight Only 9pm to 6am

I will do some research...no rush; I can live w/ 3 burners.
I'll let you know what I find out!
(house is 7 years old...PRETTY sure warrenty is no go; and $1K deductible on homeowners makes that a no go either)

After reading this post I will be very careful with my relatively new glasss top stove. I'm reminding my husband to be careful too, he also has bad luck around my kitchen. ;)

We cracked ours about 2 years ago-it is mostly in the middle of the stovetop-by having a jar candle fall off the top ledge, where my DH had stuck it when he was wiping off counters. The stove has worked fine since then, I am just careful to keep liquid away from the crack, so it doesn't seep down in there and get anything wet that should be dry.

I will be checking out the Black Friday thing though!!! Thanks for the info!

We haven't broken ours, but it's forever warped. It wasn't even my fault - I was cooking on the largest burner and using a large saute pan. When I was done, it looked as though something from underneath had burned straight through the paint. It looks awful and I was mad.

I will never buy one of these again. They suck!

Ours was broken by a contractor. It cost $600 to replace the top. Thank goodness, the contractor had to reimburse me. For cost, it depends on the model of your unit. Mine was from GE and it's a gas slide-in range with a ceramic top. Good luck with your replacement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter