YIKES! $448 for Polynesian Garden View!

Poly Pal

DIS Veteran
Well, we just got our "revised" resort confirmation for next April at the Polynesian. $448 per night (incl. taxes) for a plain ol' garden view room. I think they have finally crossed that "psychic pricing barrier" that makes me say "what are we, nuts?!"

Yes, it is peak season and the week before Easter. Still, I've never paid so much for a hotel room. My wife is even talking about staying somewhere else...she said the dreaded "o. s" (I can hardly bring myself to say the words "off site"...but hey, that new Ritz Carlton may be open by then!)

I know the feeling. That bill from the Contemporary over this past New Year's! (Holiday Season - Tower Club - yikes! It was close to the price of GF Royal Palm Concierge in value season!).

That is pretty steep. Keep your fingers crossed for some discounts in the upcoming months. Discounts would probably come out during the winter.:D

Believe it or not, some people are willing to pay that, otherwise Disney would not charge that much. But fret not, because unless there is a MAJOR turnaround in the economy between now and then, there will probably be significant discounts available. I would start looking for them around January. (At least that's how it went this year.)

Good luck and happy planning!

It's unbelievable how many people are willing to pay those prices. Some are just that wealthy and some don't know any better when it comes to discounts. I can't tell you how many people get excited about the "great rates" they get with a package. They cannot believe how much they can save when I research discounts and piece meal it for them.

Then there is my SIL parents who reserve a room by calling CRO and asking for the "best room available". I could have saved them over $250/night (7 nights) for their GF conceirge room during value season, but they said "Nah, it's not worth the hassle." MUST BE NICE!!:rolleyes:

Honestly, I wouldn't pay it :confused: I love all things Disney, but that's WAY to high for me... I'd use Priceline to bid on a Resort, you might get that New Resort that just opened, it looks great, but I can't remember the name!!

Hate to be a bummer, but that is just WAY too high!!

I agree with Chris! As much as I love the Polynesian, unless I hit the lottery there is no way I could justify that price for a hotel room. I had a hard time spending 374.00 when I thought that was going to be the price for our night there in July. Luckily we got a code and it came to less.

Keep watching for discounts & good luck!

It really is a pricey ordeal. I've been going yearly for the past seven years and have stayed on-site. It was after my stay at the Grand Floridian last year that I became turned around. It was beautiful, but, we were plagued with transportation problems that week, had to take cabs because buses would not show etc. I also considered the hotel services to be average with just a few minor problems.

It finally hit me! I'm not really sure I'm getting great value for my buck.
So, we searched the boards and decided on Marriott Grande Vista for 10 nights this December. The rental car deals look pretty good and I have an annual pass to cover parking.

If it turns out to be a mistake ( no magic) I will admit it in a posting and make my next years' reservation at the Polynesian, WL, or Yacht Club!
:p

Wow....:eek: :rolleyes:

personally I think that is too much for a disney resort. I would go moderate for that trip.

We are paying 1/2 that for a 1 bdrm suite at the Ritz Carlton in Cancun......just for comparison here.........;) ;) .....

I sure hope a discount comes up for you......;)

a lot of people just pay the rate and don't even realize that they offer discounts.
well, hopefully they will offer discounts even for peak season, they did for christmas week last year, so ya never know!

I would keep the ressie, until you know if there will be a discount or not, if none are available, what about a moderate, or renting dvc points? (I might be able to help you there!)
disney club usually offers discounts too.

just trying to give alternatives to staying off-site! (i dont like those words either :))

Laura :)

$448.00 per night? At the Polynesian?

Is Mel Gibson included in the price?;)

Hi: Why don't you book a moderate that you like for the same time and keep watching for codes/discounts thru the fall and winter and then you can change it. At least you will have something to go to if the rates don't come down. Or change your travel times,

Deb.

Poly = NO HOT TUB = Ridiculous = won't stay there again no matter what the price. ;)

We spent a week at the Poly a few years back. I liked the place, but I can't justify the cost, when we spend at least 10 hours a day at the parks. I'm very satisfied with POFQ. By the time we stagger on to the Last Bus Out, a flophouse in downtown Orlando would fit the bill.
But I must admit that while at the Poly I felt very comfortable knowing that Tonga Toast was available a scant 100 yards away!
:jester:

I would keep the ressies. I would say that there will be better rates and discounts by then. What you are seeing now are the obvious rack rates.

That price IS OUTRAGEOUS!!! We're also in the process of booking a room for a few nights following a Disney Cruise. There is NO WAY I'm paying that price for the Poly- where we wanted to stay. We'll be spending a lot of time in the parks. That price is WAY out of line. Give me a break! We'll either go moderate even though we've only stayed in deluxe before. Either that or perhaps give Univeral a try. We've never been there.

Hey, I'm only paying $109 per night before taxes ($120 after) at Universal's new Royal Pacific Resort with a South Pacific island theme the third week of July - this is with 2 queen beds and pool view and turn down service if you request it. The pool is the largest in Orlando and it has hot tubs. I heard that the lobby rivals any at WDW. This will be our first time not staying on-site at Disney. We also get milk and cookies for being Loews Club members. Just thought I'd throw this info in for comparison.

Of course the price is rediculous, as stated earlier, that is the RACK RATE. There will likely be discounts that come out later to lower the price significantly.

Antonia, I expect a full review of the Royal Pacific Resort after you return. It sounds interesting, I'd like to compare it to the Polynesian, and see how it measures up. ;)

Originally posted by sandramaac
I would keep the ressies. I would say that there will be better rates and discounts by then. What you are seeing now are the obvious rack rates.

I would cancel the ressies and tell them that the price is ridiculous. By keeping the ressies, they are assuming that the room is priced correctly, that the occupancy rate is at a higer percentage for the resort than it actually is, thus minimizing the chances of everyone or anyone getting a sizable discount. Why discount the rooms if this far out, you are showing an 80% occupancy rate? The process of setting rates and discount rates is based on yield management.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter