Yeti Gone?

I duuno...all reports of them working on it to have it work in some sort of at least 1/2A mode seemed to have dried up. Either it wasn't really happening, or they couldn't make it work.

I don't usually post here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I rode EE in A mode, and it was great. Not an extreme coaster by any means, but great story, theme, atmosphere, the yeti effect at the end, was like icing on the cake. Just made it better (had to love the little boy who told his mom after getting off, "I liked the monkey waving good-bye!"), but anyway. At some point Disney is going to have to figure out that it takes money to make money. There is a reason we go to Disney rather than Six Flags or Universal or whatever. Even as it is, it's still better, for now. If they keep making short sighted, profit is the only god, type decisions, maybe it won't be better for long. Once upon a time Disney was innovative and spent lots of money on ideas, eventually it paid off. Of course they are a business and businesses need to generate profit, but they also have to keep to their corporate mission and go the extra mile in pleasing their guests. Maybe that will mean not cheaping out and doing things correctly, rather than cheaply, and fixing it if it's broke. I love Disney, I always have a great time when I go, but it would be nice if I didn't keep noticing things that used to be or could be better, including the Yeti.

I just rode EE Sunday, June 5th and the Yeti was there uncovered but in strobe mode. Still a great ride. The lines are long and everyone enjoys the ride. To me that must mean Disney did something right or the lines would be short and no one would want to ride. Word of mouth happens fast when you are at a theme park. personally I like the ride, love the reverse part of the coaster and love the theming. I am a coaster enthusiast and have ridden over 50 different coasters throughout the U.S. and Disney has some great ones for the age group they are trying to cater to.

EE with the moving Yeti is definitely a different ride than without it. We rode when it first opened DD11 was 6 then. She was terrified and wouldn't ride again because "the yeti touched my head!" She was sure the swiping claws hit her head :)

We've talked her into riding it since then and she still doesn't like it... because it goes backwards- no mention of the yeti.

I dined with an Imagineer on Monday and the yeti debate popped up and she stated rather confidently that "yes, were working on that" and gave a chuckle. yeti in full motion coming 2012, hopefully...

I dined with an Imagineer on Monday and the yeti debate popped up and she stated rather confidently that "yes, were working on that" and gave a chuckle. yeti in full motion coming 2012, hopefully...

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think that this is permanent. There's just no way to get that thing operational - if the reports are correct - because it has a bad structural design.

I don't see anyway you can feasibly fix a bad structure unless you peel the mountain and track back and basically spend two years redoing the foundation - which will NEVER happen.

This is fastly becoming the biggest mechanical failure in the history of WDI...and that's with doozies like test track and rocket rods on the books.

Thanks Joe Rhode!!!

It took you 3 trips to Nepal with like 20+ people to do what you should've done IN ONE TRIP, costing too much money to do a good job designing the ride... Wasn't that your job?

Thanks Joe Rhode!!!

It took you 3 trips to Nepal with like 20+ people to do what you should've done IN ONE TRIP, costing too much money to do a good job designing the ride... Wasn't that your job?

to be fair, i suspect he's more look and feel rather than structural engineer isnt he? so its other people letting him down.

to be fair, i suspect he's more look and feel rather than structural engineer isnt he? so its other people letting him down.

yeah...but he sure seems to be a goofball that is moody and is fighting the wrong battles in light of the operation at disney these days.

He should be all for the systems and engineering techniques that will yield popular attractions at this juncture...not fighting to maintain extensive details that do not show on a balance sheet.

Im not saying sell your soul...but the only way to keep money flowing into WDI is to produce hit attractions and shows...and if that means research and design needs to take a little of a back seat for awhile until the track record is improved and they get a little more discretionary cash to work with - so be it.

The best examples i can think of are the tower and splash mountain...

Would management greenlight a splash mountain type project or tower of terror right now if they were new and innovative? no
Could WDI pull it off if they did have the time and money to do it? no

so therein lies the problem. The future lies in the past: they have to get back to building expensive things that nobody else would bother too...that's the bottomline.

yeah...but he sure seems to be a goofball that is moody and is fighting the wrong battles in light of the operation at disney these days.

He should be all for the systems and engineering techniques that will yield popular attractions at this juncture...not fighting to maintain extensive details that do not show on a balance sheet.

Im not saying sell your soul...but the only way to keep money flowing into WDI is to produce hit attractions and shows...and if that means research and design needs to take a little of a back seat for awhile until the track record is improved and they get a little more discretionary cash to work with - so be it.

The best examples i can think of are the tower and splash mountain...

Would management greenlight a splash mountain type project or tower of terror right now if they were new and innovative? no
Could WDI pull it off if they did have the time and money to do it? no

so therein lies the problem. The future lies in the past: they have to get back to building expensive things that nobody else would bother too...that's the bottomline.

Another problem is that WDI is bandwagoning on innovation, and not even in the right spot! Currently they're "innovating" with CGI, bringing us the "lovely" laugh floor, and other grand crowd control money shredders. I mean sure, its a good show, but that's it, good. I wasn't really wowed by it. They're following the innovation of others as well themselves (i.e. Turtle Talk with Crush was already using that tech, they just updated it) and they're just going in circles.

Here is Universal, competition at the gate, with honestly what I feel is THE most innovative and immersive attraction I have ever been on. Given they have other issues, WDI needs to step up their game and really bring us something BIG. Fantasyland expansion? Ok, cool. Sure a few new rides, a new restaurant, those used to be little things for Disney.

WDI's innovation is falling and I'm not sure if its due to Disney's budgeting and money hoarding or if its just that they're focusing in the wrong places but in recent years I've been both impressed and disappointed, the latter of which should not be present in a Disney park.

well my wife would love this as she hates when it jumps out at her...haha. Makes me take the inside seat b/c of that :rotfl2:

Did I miss a posting??? I was at EE today and the Yeti is up and running!!! Missed him.:thumbsup2
You mean like it originally was? If that's the case it's a major change in I'm sure many others will be posting the same information. We can only hope.

KYMickey said:
You mean like it originally was? If that's the case it's a major change in I'm sure many others will be posting the same information. We can only hope.

I'm sure its still disco yeti

Well to be honest I was up in front on most rides so take that into the mix but last times:thumbsup2 I was there it was dark and he was either gone or covered... yesterday he looked lit up and I thought his arm moved too like the old days... hope someone else has better eyes.

Well to be honest I was up in front on most rides so take that into the mix but last times:thumbsup2 I was there it was dark and he was either gone or covered... yesterday he looked lit up and I thought his arm moved too like the old days... hope someone else has better eyes.

disco yeti...

he wasn't moving....you were.

The yeti is broken permanently. Is infrastructure is integrated into the ride system itself.

Fixing him would require shutting down the ride for a long time .

granmanh603 said:

I was there Oct 13 and thought he moved too. I actually shouted to my bf after we passed it"hey they got the yeti working!" So you're not the only one who's crazy.

Perhaps the strobe light threw us off...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter