Yet another passport gripe...

BCDisneyFanatic

DIS Veteran
When I started looking into getting my daughters' and my passports this spring (our old ones expired in January), I wasn't particularly concerned as I knew we weren't travelling out of the country for quite a while. However, I mailed them in by expresspost on March 20th, and I have documentation that they were received March22nd.

I sent Passport Canada a request for status after 50 working days had passed (the "up to ten weeks" it's supposed to take), and this is the reply I got:

Although we could have received your application, it has not been
processed yet nor has a file been opened in your name. Passport Canada
is experiencing a sharp volume increase in passport applications and
therefore this step could now take up to 50 working days.

NOT VERY HELPFUL! I think it's time they updated their emails and website...50 working days, my ***!

The backlog just seems to get bigger and bigger! I thought they hired a whole whack of people a couple of months ago to try and get on top of things.

Anyway, has anyone heard what "mailing date" they are up to yet? As we are at 55 working days today, I'm hoping we must be close!

Heather

Two weeks ago they said they were opening March mailings. We sent ours in early April. I hope I am still here when it arrives.;) ;)

Really? That's odd.

I went to the passport office March 16, applied for me, DH and DD and we received the passports in the mail on April 6.

55 days seems like a long time to me.

Geez:confused3 We took ours in person and got them in just 9 business days!:scared1: This was in mid - April.....

Gosh and if there is something missing:scared1: you have to send them back again:scared1: .....Holy cow, there is no need for this. Government knew this was happening and would continue to happen:scared1:so there was no need for this.

In the fall, just before January, it will be a nightmare:scared1: !!!!

Charleyann

Really? That's odd.

I went to the passport office March 16, applied for me, DH and DD and we received the passports in the mail on April 6.

55 days seems like a long time to me.

It is a bit ridiculous, isn't it!

I went to the passport office on March 20th, but after waiting in line for a couple of hours, and only moving up about 5 metres (the line snaked all the way around the building), I figured there was no way I'd get in that day. The post office sign right next to where I was standing was beckoning me, and since I could go without my documents until at least July 9th, I wasn't worried.

Now...I'm starting to worry. ;) It won't be the end of the world if we don't get them (we are only flying to Ontario in July, but had planned to do some border hopping with some friends while we were there). We'll just get new birth certificates if we don't get them in time (but I don't like having to pay $75 for three birth certicifates that I shouldn't need).

It just seems to me that they should be getting the system back under control by now - it's been six months! However, it only seems to be getting worse...:scared1:

I just think that the whole system is fried!

Two weeks ago they said they were opening March mailings. We sent ours in early April. I hope I am still here when it arrives.;) ;)

I'll let you know when mine arrive, and you can bet it will be a couple more weeks (at least) before yours do!

When are you travelling?

Heather

If it makes you feel any better, the US has lifted the passport requirement for air travel from Canada - or so says my news crawl...

If it makes you feel any better, the US has lifted the passport requirement for air travel from Canada - or so says my news crawl...

After standing in lines and the money dished out for these passports?:confused3

Charleyann

we did ours through the post office and it took just over 5 weeks.

I believe this is only for Americans coming here and flyiing back, but I could be wrong.

Ah, chalk that one of up the vague and inconsistent CP24. I should know better than to trust it.

I am 100% sure you are correct. I heard the same today.

Yes it is ONLY Americans as thats what its said on the news Canadians arnt intitalled to this.
Thanks Gosh we are driving down as I couldnt imagine the wait time PLUS getting NEW passports for myself and 3 kids

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter