Yet another packing question

It sounds like you've made up your mind already but I would just jump in with another opinion (if you're allowing it? ), the trunk sounds like it might be too big for the closet and possibly too big to fit under the bed. I don't know the exact dimensions but the trunk I have would be too big for both the closet and the bed and I have a relatively small trunk. Sounds like a hard sided rubbermaid rolling thing might be a good alternative like you suggested, assuming that it was low enough to fit under the bed, otherwise I would just go with hard-sided luggage. I am not sure what the rules are on locking it but I think probably many lock it and have no issues.

eta: I've gotten my packing cubes from ebags and amazon, amazon usually runs a special around the holidays and I've found they really help with packing efficiency and also help with curbing over packing behavior.

Since we started using packing cubes , we can not travel without them. Bought them on EBAGS when they were on sale...different colors for me and hubby. The year we took daughters family (which included 4 grandgirls ) on a cruise, we purchased a set of the cubes for each girl...each in a different color. Again , they were on sale and came in 3 different bag sizes to a set. They were a tremendous hit and the girls loved the bright colors we chose for them. They really do make packing and traveling easier.

eta: I've gotten my packing cubes from ebags and amazon, amazon usually runs a special around the holidays and I've found they really help with packing efficiency and also help with curbing over packing behavior.

I'll second the packing cubes. I regularly travel for a week (5-6 days) at a time, in a carry-on, in part thanks to packing cubes (and also in part to rolling techniques that invariably lead to rolled eyes from my wife :rotfl2: ).

Another suggestion for packing cubes is IKEA. I find the large size that Amazon and Ebags use to be too big, especially for summer trips when the clothes are smaller (i.e. sorts and tanks.) I prefer this set because they don't have the large size bag. The set linked above also has one that is double sided. I always use that one for pre-cruise packing since I can put my stuff on one side and my daughters on the other. It works great and then that is the only thing I have to pull out in addition to our toiletries. The shoe bag is great for swim gear.

I'll second the packing cubes. I regularly travel for a week (5-6 days) at a time, in a carry-on, in part thanks to packing cubes (and also in part to rolling techniques that invariably lead to rolled eyes from my wife :rotfl2: ).
I ordered said packing cubes on suggestions from this forum. They just offered a discount on Amazon prime day. 2 sets in 2 different colors. Last cruise I did not unpack one of the suitcases and just did grab&go for our DDs (8&6). Looking forward to condensing the packing & staying organized in the cabin. DH claims he is not interested!

OP - wish I could picture the "trunk" you are talking about. Seems like since you are packing & driving you would be OK to lock it, then they can contact you should they need access. It never hurts to confirm with porter when dropping off at port terminal. Do I recall that they were replacing the storage trunk coffee table on the ships? Could this larger trunk serve as that in your room? I feel confident you could find a suitable storage space, maybe check videos of your type of cabin for ideas.

It sounds like you've made up your mind already but I would just jump in with another opinion (if you're allowing it? ), the trunk sounds like it might be too big for the closet and possibly too big to fit under the bed. I don't know the exact dimensions but the trunk I have would be too big for both the closet and the bed and I have a relatively small trunk. Sounds like a hard sided rubbermaid rolling thing might be a good alternative like you suggested, assuming that it was low enough to fit under the bed, otherwise I would just go with hard-sided luggage. I am not sure what the rules are on locking it but I think probably many lock it and have no issues.

Thank you for your suggestion. It does seem to me that the trunk will be too big. If it was just a bit shorter I think putting it under the bed would be the answer so I may possibly look for something an inch or two shorter.

My DH used to laugh at my rolling techniques also until he watched me pack for a 7 day FL trip for 4 of us in a Prius . It's anywhere from 14-18 hr drive for us depending on stops Everyone was comfortable, fed and had plenty of clothes.

I ordered said packing cubes on suggestions from this forum. They just offered a discount on Amazon prime day. 2 sets in 2 different colors. Last cruise I did not unpack one of the suitcases and just did grab&go for our DDs (8&6). Looking forward to condensing the packing & staying organized in the cabin. DH claims he is not interested!

OP - wish I could picture the "trunk" you are talking about. Seems like since you are packing & driving you would be OK to lock it, then they can contact you should they need access. It never hurts to confirm with porter when dropping off at port terminal. Do I recall that they were replacing the storage trunk coffee table on the ships? Could this larger trunk serve as that in your room? I feel confident you could find a suitable storage space, maybe check videos of your type of cabin for ideas.

I would love to post a picture for you but I am not tech savvy and can't seem to figure out how to do it from my phone without the file being too big.

So it sounds like the packing cubes are the way to go. Could those of you that use them share the dimensions and about how many of what goes in each cube/size? I don't want to over/ under purchase.
I would LOVE to be able to fit everything in a carry on per person if I could. We will be using the laundry facilities at our resort before the cruise so I will have 7 days worth of clean clothes when we get on.

So it sounds like the packing cubes are the way to go. Could those of you that use them share the dimensions and about how many of what goes in each cube/size? I don't want to over/ under purchase.
I would LOVE to be able to fit everything in a carry on per person if I could. We will be using the laundry facilities at our resort before the cruise so I will have 7 days worth of clean clothes when we get on.

It really depends on your particular luggage, and which brand of packing cubes you choose.

I use Eagle Creek luggage, and also Eagle Creek packing cubes - because, even though they're a bit more expensive, they are designed to fit efficiently inside their luggage.

I would explore on Amazon, find the dimensions of the various packing cube brands, and compare that with the dimensions of whatever luggage you end up deciding to use.

We use the Ebags cubes and have the 3 sizes. I pack pants and larger items (e.g. dresses) in the larger bags and can get almost a week's worth of clothing in the large bag, the medium bag I use for shirts and can pack well over 7-days worth of shirts in those bags, and the small bags I use for undies. We also use a 2nd small bag for socks. Each of us has our own color/set of bags and we can get away with packing the 4 of us for a 2-week vacation into 2-28" uprights, shoes and costumes go into the (?) 24" upright (just 1, we were on a Halloween cruise and were spending actual Halloween at the MK and "needed" separate costumes and thus extra space) and then we pack 1 20" carry-on spinner with various stuff. This last cruise I think we had an extra 2nd 24" suitcase with FE crap in it--which was kinda nice because we then had space to bring souvenirs back. But we normally would not need that much stuff. We typically would be able to get away with 3 larger bags (since I'm diabetic, I have to really switch up my footwear if I'm doing a lot of walking if we're at the MK, thus all the extra packing of shoes :D). Cubes are the way to go!

We use the Ebags cubes and have the 3 sizes. I pack pants and larger items (e.g. dresses) in the larger bags and can get almost a week's worth of clothing in the large bag, the medium bag I use for shirts and can pack well over 7-days worth of shirts in those bags, and the small bags I use for undies. We also use a 2nd small bag for socks. Each of us has our own color/set of bags and we can get away with packing the 4 of us for a 2-week vacation into 2-28" uprights, shoes and costumes go into the (?) 24" upright (just 1, we were on a Halloween cruise and were spending actual Halloween at the MK and "needed" separate costumes and thus extra space) and then we pack 1 20" carry-on spinner with various stuff. This last cruise I think we had an extra 2nd 24" suitcase with FE crap in it--which was kinda nice because we then had space to bring souvenirs back. But we normally would not need that much stuff. We typically would be able to get away with 3 larger bags (since I'm diabetic, I have to really switch up my footwear if I'm doing a lot of walking if we're at the MK, thus all the extra packing of shoes :D). Cubes are the way to go!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! You just gave me the visual I needed. I was having a hard time figuring out how many things would fit in each cube. I think, with the cubes, we might actually be able to pack in our 4 carry on's with maybe one bag of incidentals.

Oh totally doable with cubes! When I used to travel for my business conferences, I'd need to pack for a week (and I tend to overpack), with the cubes, I'd have plenty of options and then some for the week and it all fit in a 20" roller bag! If you're planning for laundry, you'll be fine!

If you're looking to get new luggage, Kohl's has it on sale right now, all different brands and styles. I just got a 28 inch Travel pro that was regularly priced over $300 for $133, I had codes for an extra 30%, $50 off, and free shipping. I think the sale goes on until the end of July. I took 3 25 inch Travel pro cases and a 21 inch one on our last cruise(on the Fantasy) and they all fit under the bed with room left over. I just bought some packing cubes also and am looking forward to using them on our next cruise, before I just used those large zip-lock storage bags.

I like these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Packin..._rd_wg=unRt3&refRID=GT1B063ZXHTA17EYDN7V&th=1

upload_2017-7-19_14-9-26.png

They are the perfect size for about 14 t-shirts folded like you'd have them in a drawer (not rolled). My teen sons' shirts also fit in these folded this way. Really, look at how you fold things and measure the sides. You'll notice that most packing cubes on Amazon will give you dimensions. These worked best for me and I liked the double zipper. The IKEA ones work fine, but are only single zipper.

Also, if you're not sure, our dollar store sells some. You could get one and do a test pack to see if you'd like a different size or if they'll even work for you.

They are the perfect size for about 14 t-shirts folded like you'd have them in a drawer (not rolled). My teen sons' shirts also fit in these folded this way. Really, look at how you fold things and measure the sides. You'll notice that most packing cubes on Amazon will give you dimensions. These worked best for me and I liked the double zipper. The IKEA ones work fine, but are only single zipper.

You mean, you don't roll your clothes in your drawers?

I think I'm the only person who does that. It's okay. I accepted my weird a long time ago.

I like these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Packin..._rd_wg=unRt3&refRID=GT1B063ZXHTA17EYDN7V&th=1

View attachment 254221

Also, if you're not sure, our dollar store sells some. You could get one and do a test pack to see if you'd like a different size or if they'll even work for you.

Those look nice. I actually just ordered 1 set off of Amazon it was this brand. I didn't think to look at the dollar store. I may run up later when the kids go to karate. We have a trip to TN for the eclipse coming up and I figured this would be a great way to try them out. I actually made a shirt folding thing out of cardboard and DH's shirts are only about 9x6x1 inches once I fold them. I was able to get 21 of DH's t-shirts in a small 12 x 18 drawer . The rest of us will be about half that size or 1/4th so I'm hoping we can really pack these up. I'll take the one set and have the family set out clothes for me along with the suitcases they have. If I can pack them well with my set I'll color coordinate every one's . Thank you to everyone for mentioning these to me. Fingers crossed this makes our trip more organized.
Now if I can just remember not to let the cat out of the bag and ruin the surprise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XKZZ8Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1697.PNG
This is the set just offered on Amazon Prime Day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter