Yet another packing question

ddpaints

Mouseketeer
Before I post my question I want you to know I did try to search for the answer so please be kind. :duck:

Our trip will be, once again, on the Magic where I actually met my now husband. :love: We will be staying on Deck 5 in an interior room.

My husband and son just bought these awesome rolling tool trunks to take to Boy Scout camp. They are hard sided with plenty of room. I got to looking at them and thought that it sure would be nice to pack all of our things in one for our 2 week Disney Extravaganza. I figure with my mad packing skills I could manage to get all 4 of us packed in there for our 7 day Disney trip (I'll do laundry) and our 5 day cruise.
My questions are theses.

1. Are there any size restrictions for NON carry on luggage? (I know the restrictions for the carry on. :-) )

2. What are the dimensions of the closet? The size of the truck is 34"L x 23"W x 13"H. I'm sure it would be too high for under the bed. I'm thinking as long as I have 2 feet worth of space in the closet I could set it up on end and be done with it.

3. Can I lock said trunk or does it need to be able to be opened for inspections?
We only drive and haven't been on a cruise in almost 6 yrs so I'm rusty on what restriction there are for luggage.

:thanks: in advance for any advice.

Before I post my question I want you to know I did try to search for the answer so please be kind. :duck:

Our trip will be, once again, on the Magic where I actually met my now husband. :love: We will be staying on Deck 5 in an interior room.

My husband and son just bought these awesome rolling tool trunks to take to Boy Scout camp. They are hard sided with plenty of room. I got to looking at them and thought that it sure would be nice to pack all of our things in one for our 2 week Disney Extravaganza. I figure with my mad packing skills I could manage to get all 4 of us packed in there for our 7 day Disney trip (I'll do laundry) and our 5 day cruise.
My questions are theses.

1. Are there any size restrictions for NON carry on luggage? (I know the restrictions for the carry on. :-) )

2. What are the dimensions of the closet? The size of the truck is 34"L x 23"W x 13"H. I'm sure it would be too high for under the bed. I'm thinking as long as I have 2 feet worth of space in the closet I could set it up on end and be done with it.

3. Can I lock said trunk or does it need to be able to be opened for inspections?
We only drive and haven't been on a cruise in almost 6 yrs so I'm rusty on what restriction there are for luggage.

:thanks: in advance for any advice.

I'm not aware of any size restrictions, but please be cognizant of the weight of this trunk. It may create a challenge if it's more than 50 pounds.

I haven't sailed in an inside cabin, but one of the closets is what I would call a hanging closet, so your trunk would fit upright in there. It would however make it hard to hang things. People have reported being able to put 13 inch high luggage under the bed .

Luggage can be inspected, so use a TSA approved lock so it can be opened if necessary.

If they are the same as my Boy Scout sons' trunks, I'd say they would be taking up a ton of room in the closet if they would fit at all. I recall at least one side of the closet having open non-removable shelving.

I did remember the 50 lb weight limit I just forgot to post that. I don't anticipate hanging much if anything. All of our clothes are either made of wrinkle resistant material or will be folded store style in ziplock bags. As for size this reminds me of a decent size stroller when folded up just a bit wider. DH is doubting that I will get all of our clothes in there but I have proved him wrong before. HMM well that gives me some things to think about. Thank you for your responses.

I did remember the 50 lb weight limit I just forgot to post that. I don't anticipate hanging much if anything. All of our clothes are either made of wrinkle resistant material or will be folded store style in ziplock bags. As for size this reminds me of a decent size stroller when folded up just a bit wider. DH is doubting that I will get all of our clothes in there but I have proved him wrong before. HMM well that gives me some things to think about. Thank you for your responses.
I would just suggest that you be aware that the checked bags are really tossed around by the various CMs handling the bags. If the weight/size/solidity of the bag could damage other bags, I wouldn't do it. Here's a picture of one such staging location for bags coming aboard:
fantasy 2013 Luggage Holding.jpg

Are you sure the one item will be less than 50 pounds? Be sure to take into account the actual weight of the bag itself. It's not really fair to expect the CMs handling the bags to have to toss (literally) a much heavier bag about.

I would just suggest that you be aware that the checked bags are really tossed around by the various CMs handling the bags. If the weight/size/solidity of the bag could damage other bags, I wouldn't do it. Here's a picture of one such staging location for bags coming aboard:
View attachment 251229

Are you sure the one item will be less than 50 pounds? Be sure to take into account the actual weight of the bag itself. It's not really fair to expect the CMs handling the bags to have to toss (literally) a much heavier bag about.

This is why I rarely post questions anywhere. There is always someone that either doesn't read what I am asking and decides to give unsolicited advice or forms their own opinion and decides they know exactly all of the thoughts in my head. You even quoted me as saying I knew about the 50 lb rule and had forgot to add that to my original post. I wouldn't expect anyone to lift anything heavier than the 50 lbs that is stated on the site. I am not inconsiderate. Your picture is exactly why I'm looking for an alternative to the standard soft sided suitcase.
I just asked 3 questions
1. Are there any dimension restrictions?
2. What is the size of the closet?
3. Can I lock my luggage.

I have a decent idea of what I'm looking at from two of the people that commented .
Thank you.

This is why I rarely post questions anywhere. There is always someone that either doesn't read what I am asking and decides to give unsolicited advice or forms their own opinion and decides they know exactly all of the thoughts in my head. You even quoted me as saying I knew about the 50 lb rule and had forgot to add that to my original post. I wouldn't expect anyone to lift anything heavier than the 50 lbs that is stated on the site. I am not inconsiderate. Your picture is exactly why I'm looking for an alternative to the standard soft sided suitcase.
I just asked 3 questions
1. Are there any dimension restrictions?
2. What is the size of the closet?
3. Can I lock my luggage.

I have a decent idea of what I'm looking at from two of the people that commented .
Thank you.
Sorry if the answer wasn't helpful to you. I was just commenting further on what dcassetta had to say. There are many people who look at questions and answers here and I wanted to be sure all the information possible was tossed into the mix.

BTW, I did read what you had to say. As well as all the responses. I typically don't post until I've seen what everyone has posted.

Here is as close as I can find to the official rules:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...gs-wonder-seattle-trying-limit-one-bag-176630

Summary is that each guest gets two checked bags, up to 50 lbs each, any size is fine, but keep in mind the available space in your cabin.

And each guest can have one carry on no larger than 9x14x22.

Thank you! This was all that I had found also. I'm still trying to figure out the perfect combo for efficient travel (we drive a Prius) and durability when they are getting thrown around . I'm guessing it will be some sort of a hard sided suitcase at the least to maybe a Rubbermaid trunk with wheels if I can fit most of the family's clothes in it.

Last edited:
I am assuming you wil flying in since you mentioned the 50 lb rating for luggage. If you are flying the luggage cannot be locked as TSA will inspect the luggage. As for whether Disney cares if it is locked, i don't know the answer to that.

I am assuming you wil flying in since you mentioned the 50 lb rating for luggage. If you are flying the luggage cannot be locked as TSA will inspect the luggage. As for whether Disney cares if it is locked, i don't know the answer to that.

Nope we are driving. The 50lb weight limit is the cruise line restriction. I'm thinking (not sure so don't quote me) that the cruise terminals are treated just like an airport.

Nope we are driving. The 50lb weight limit is the cruise line restriction. I'm thinking (not sure so don't quote me) that the cruise terminals are treated just like an airport.

Cruise terminals are treated kinda like airports. Each bag gets dog sniffed and x-rayed, but usually if they need to open up your bags they'll try and contact you to go down and open it up and be a witness if possible (unless it's something serious, obviously).
I always lock mine because I'm paranoid if it opening it up and my stuff being all over the place lol.

Cruise terminals are treated kinda like airports. Each bag gets dog sniffed and x-rayed, but usually if they need to open up your bags they'll try and contact you to go down and open it up and be a witness if possible (unless it's something serious, obviously).
I always lock mine because I'm paranoid if it opening it up and my stuff being all over the place lol.
LOL I'd just be angry that things weren't in the correct order. I am OCD when we are on vacation. No one can touch anything unless I approve it because they will lose something I guarantee it.

Let me remind you that this is a public message forum. No one here works for DCL, so the only thing anyone can offer you is an opinion. If you want OPINIONS post on a public message forum like this one. If you want facts, call DCL directly and ask them. People spend their time on these boards to help out of the kindness of their hearts. Don't go bashing the VERY PEOPLE you came on here to post a question to. If you are not seeking opinions or unsolicited advice, a PUBLIC FORUM is probably not the place to ask a question.

I found your post quoted above to be incredibly rude! Shmoo was just trying to help you. Jeesh!

Let me remind you that this is a public message forum. No one here works for DCL, so the only thing anyone can offer you is an opinion. If you want OPINIONS post on a public message forum like this one. If you want facts, call DCL directly and ask them. People spend their time on these boards to help out of the kindness of their hearts. Don't go bashing the VERY PEOPLE you came on here to post a question to. If you are not seeking opinions or unsolicited advice, a PUBLIC FORUM is probably not the place to ask a question.

I found your post quoted above to be incredibly rude! Shmoo was just trying to help you. Jeesh!

I found it incredibly rude that she decided to reprimand me for making the bags too heavy ( even though I stated I knew the 50 lb rule) and asking me if I was sure my bags were less than 50 lbs (before I even packed them) and telling me that I needed to make sure my bags weren't going to mess up anyone else's ( without even knowing my intentions). None of her advice was helpful in any way it was condescending just as yours is. I know how public forums work and you reprimanding me isn't any better, if you found my post rude. I'm not sure why people can't just hold their typing fingers if they aren't going to just stick to the questions asked.

She wasn't reprimanding. She was stating. She was reminding. Possibly even stating something someone wouldn't think of.

If I have a 3 lb bag vs a 10 lb bag I'll hit the weight limit much earlier with clothes in one vs the other. And some people don't get that.

OP- we are just off the Dream yesterday. I remembered your question! Both closets have built-in shelving that takes up the bottom right fourth. I didn't measure or anything, but I don't think my boys' scout trunks would fit in there easily. The bed was a bit higher than I remembered but still around knee-height. My worry would be if the trunk didn't fit in the closet or under the bed you really would be stuck with no place to store it (the tub?) -- we had a hard enough time with the coffee table-storage unit as it was.

OP- we are just off the Dream yesterday. I remembered your question! Both closets have built-in shelving that takes up the bottom right fourth. I didn't measure or anything, but I don't think my boys' scout trunks would fit in there easily. The bed was a bit higher than I remembered but still around knee-height. My worry would be if the trunk didn't fit in the closet or under the bed you really would be stuck with no place to store it (the tub?) -- we had a hard enough time with the coffee table-storage unit as it was.
Thank you. That helps a lot. That was my only concern, the what if it's 22 inch wide in the closet or the bed is about 1/2 an inch too short. 4 people in a tiny space will be hard enough. I may be buying some hard sided suitcases.

Not sure how old your kids are, but mine are 16 and 14 boys. We have really outgrown one cabin unfortunately. Of course, if we had a room four times the size, they would still find a way to trash it and make it seem too small.

Back OT, I ended up hanging up more stuff than usual since that's where there was more space. And I used packing cubes to separate cruise stuff from pre-cruise, which worked great. We ended up using one of the suitcases as a hamper as we went (made sure things were dry -- great clothesline in the shower), so just zipped it up when it was full and popped it out on the last night.

Not sure how old your kids are, but mine are 16 and 14 boys. We have really outgrown one cabin unfortunately. Of course, if we had a room four times the size, they would still find a way to trash it and make it seem too small.

Back OT, I ended up hanging up more stuff than usual since that's where there was more space. And I used packing cubes to separate cruise stuff from pre-cruise, which worked great. We ended up using one of the suitcases as a hamper as we went (made sure things were dry -- great clothesline in the shower), so just zipped it up when it was full and popped it out on the last night.

Mine will be 11 and 9 at cruise time, one of each. They are still small enough that I can put their clothes in gallon bags and push the air all out. We don't do the princess dress stuff so that helps a lot with space. lol
I'm intrigued by the packing cubes. Where did you get them? I'm always looking for a way to pack more efficiently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter