Yes, Virginia, it IS another food question. :)

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
How amenable are they in the MDRs to substituting sides for the entrees?

Example: Looking at the AP menu for the Dream, the ternderloin itself sounds great, but I like the sides with the lemon chicken better. Is it possible to get the tenderloin with the chicken sides? (Just as a note, I'm not opposed to chicken, and indeed might order that depending on what I'm feeling that night, so it could be a non-issue anyway.)

Then again, we're on a three-night. Would we have the standard menus for each of the MDRs or would they be different for Pirate Night or the last night? Or are those differences just for longer cruises?

Ok...so it was a couple of food questions. Sorry! :goodvibes

Example: Looking at the AP menu for the Dream, the ternderloin itself sounds great, but I like the sides with the lemon chicken better. Is it possible to get the tenderloin with the chicken sides? (Just as a note, I'm not opposed to chicken, and indeed might order that depending on what I'm feeling that night, so it could be a non-issue anyway.)

Then again, we're on a three-night. Would we have the standard menus for each of the MDRs or would they be different for Pirate Night or the last night? Or are those differences just for longer cruises?

Just be specific with your request. If you say I would also like this particular side you will get it in addition to you meal. State that you do not want this but want that and you will be happy.

Just be specific with your request. If you say I would also like this particular side you will get it in addition to you meal. State that you do not want this but want that and you will be happy.

Thanks so much! Yes, specificity is a good thing!

Thanks so much! Yes, specificity is a good thing!

you might have them add what you want. the portion size of the sides generally small. You might actually like the side. I add stuff all of the time, I will generally swap the type of potato. I might ask for a twice baked instead of mashed.

I got off the boat last Saturday and ready to go back!!!:)

As others have noted, you can get the "other" sides.

On a 3 night cruise each MDR has it's own menu. That's all that you will be offered.
On the 4 night cruise the 4th menu is the Pirate menu. And longer cruises have other menus, including the Til We Meet Again, Prince & Princess, Golden Mickeys, and many others.

On a 3 night cruise each MDR has it's own menu. That's all that you will be offered.
On the 4 night cruise the 4th menu is the Pirate menu. And longer cruises have other menus, including the Til We Meet Again, Prince & Princess, Golden Mickeys, and many others.

Thanks! That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure! :)

On the 4 night cruise the 4th menu is the Pirate menu. And longer cruises have other menus, including the Til We Meet Again, Prince & Princess, Golden Mickeys, and many others.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if the "special" menus like Til We Meet Again are available online anywhere?

I have found that it depends on your server. I have had some that will not actually make the substitution but bring the whole second plate of food that has the requested side. It is probably easier for them to just order a whole second plate. Once we had a server who insisted that we had to order just one thing from each section of the menu, so no substitutions, no two appetizers etc. I thought he was joking but he was not. I am sure it made his job easier.

I have found that it depends on your server. I have had some that will not actually make the substitution but bring the whole second plate of food that has the requested side. It is probably easier for them to just order a whole second plate. Once we had a server who insisted that we had to order just one thing from each section of the menu, so no substitutions, no two appetizers etc. I thought he was joking but he was not. I am sure it made his job easier.

Wow. That would make tipping him easier. Nothing extra in service? Nothing extra in tipping (meaning nothing above the required minimum). And we're usually very generous tippers.

Wow. That would make tipping him easier. Nothing extra in service? Nothing extra in tipping (meaning nothing above the required minimum). And we're usually very generous tippers.

We had this same experience on our last cruise on the Wonder. Although it was a 7 night cruise, I think at that point our server was accustomed to shorter cruises. The service was adequate but far from what we have come to expect on DCL. I guess it depends on who you get.

Yes, they can do substitutions but it is more likely they will bring the whole other entree than just the side....the entrees are pre-plated for ease of service. You may just get the side but you may get the whole entree.

MJ

Our last cruise, December Fantasy, we only received the diff sides we asked for, not an entire entree. Might depend on the server.

you might have them add what you want. the portion size of the sides generally small. You might actually like the side. I add stuff all of the time, I will generally swap the type of potato. I might ask for a twice baked instead of mashed.

I got off the boat last Saturday and ready to go back!!!:)

Off last Saturday too! 8 nights weren't enough:(

My 20-year old dd changed her sides just about every night. In lumier's the very first night. We were both going to get the sirloin cause we didn't like the tenderloin sides. The server said tenderloin much better and I'll bring whatever you want.

Some nights we got an extra side or 2 for the table, iethe croquets:)

You'll love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter