YES, another one

We just returned home last night. It was my DS25 first time with FP+. He hated every thing about it. We did a marathon day, visited 4 parks in one day. Had FP+ for HS, nothing at the other parks. Started at AK, lines were longer than we like, but we did ride the things we wanted. Hopped to HS, had fast passes all was well. Over to EPCOT, not great luck, but not bad. Hopped to Mk. What a nightmare, it was Saturday, but mercy. Park was open until 1:00 with EMH from 1:00 - 3:00, we got there around 9:30. You could not move it was so crowded, did not get on one ride because my son was unwilling to wait 40 minutes to ride POC or HM. We tried to ride during the fireworks and still a long wait. Then we are talking to a CM, DS25 was telling her how he hated the FP+ system, she agreed it was not a good thing. She told us that there was a 10 to 1 ratio of fast pass to stand by. Yep, 10 fast pass riders to 1 standby rider. No wonder everyone hates the system. My family has vacationed at Disney for 19 years, my sons grew up Disney, FP+ has taken DS25's joy out of the park. I really hope someone can chime in and tell me the 10 - 1 ratio is wrong.

That 10-1 ratio varies quite a bit based on length of FP+ queue, ride capacity, and how the CM is feeling.

I'm another FP+ disliker, and I thought it'd be a great system for us. We've never made a rope drop in our lives, and we don't usually ride tons of high demand rides in a day, so guaranteeing a single FP+ for a ride like TSMM should have worked for us.

But I just returned yesterday from a trip where FP+ had a few benefits and more problems. Possibly the biggest problem for me is that it really cut into the fun of planning. I love planning vacations, and it used to be a treat in my day to make plans for an upcoming trip. Planning this trip was the exact opposite - a little automatic bad mood machine cranking up every day (or a few times a day). I'd log in and find again that none of my FP+ plans were possible, none of the ADRs I wanted were available, etc. Which was frustrating, and as the trip got closer, stressing me out that I'd spent a ton of money on a trip that didn't look promising. We've walked in to HS on previous trips and found TSMM fast passes were gone for the day, and it was fine...we were at Disney, there was other fun to be had, oh well. But to know far in advance that you couldn't ride TSMM, or 7DMT, etc. on any day of your trip, that was a problem.

The negative impact was less severe once we got there, but it was still there. Three park days, all FPs worked as they should, two park days had time wasted on tech frustration. Lines were really long, which I know is about attendance but I felt like FP+ probably played a part too. (and I now know it was a bad move to go during F&W -- my kids LOVED Epcot in past years, but checking out the world showcase was not relaxed and fun...I assumed since all our previous trips were over spring breaks, October could only be better. Live and learn)

Disney definitely got less of my money on this trip. We spent much less time in the parks -- the standby lines were too long and we mostly didn't have ADRs, so we tended to hit our FP rides and leave soon after. We only had two table service Disney meals during the 6 day trip; previous trips we always had at least one and often two per day. In the past we'd get dinner at Jiko, Brown Derby, CA Grille, BOG...this year we ate at the Mara a lot.

My sister picked us up from the airport and asked for everyone's favorite thing: not one of my kids named something Disney (we stayed onsite and didn't have a car, so the few times we cabbed off campus are what made the trip...quite a change from years past). When bowling beats the parks, I think you've got a problem.

I'm another FP+ disliker, and I thought it'd be a great system for us. We've never made a rope drop in our lives, and we don't usually ride tons of high demand rides in a day, so guaranteeing a single FP+ for a ride like TSMM should have worked for us.

But I just returned yesterday from a trip where FP+ had a few benefits and more problems. Possibly the biggest problem for me is that it really cut into the fun of planning. I love planning vacations, and it used to be a treat in my day to make plans for an upcoming trip. Planning this trip was the exact opposite - a little automatic bad mood machine cranking up every day (or a few times a day). I'd log in and find again that none of my FP+ plans were possible, none of the ADRs I wanted were available, etc. Which was frustrating, and as the trip got closer, stressing me out that I'd spent a ton of money on a trip that didn't look promising. We've walked in to HS on previous trips and found TSMM fast passes were gone for the day, and it was fine...we were at Disney, there was other fun to be had, oh well. But to know far in advance that you couldn't ride TSMM, or 7DMT, etc. on any day of your trip, that was a problem.

The negative impact was less severe once we got there, but it was still there. Three park days, all FPs worked as they should, two park days had time wasted on tech frustration. Lines were really long, which I know is about attendance but I felt like FP+ probably played a part too. (and I now know it was a bad move to go during F&W -- my kids LOVED Epcot in past years, but checking out the world showcase was not relaxed and fun...I assumed since all our previous trips were over spring breaks, October could only be better. Live and learn)

Disney definitely got less of my money on this trip. We spent much less time in the parks -- the standby lines were too long and we mostly didn't have ADRs, so we tended to hit our FP rides and leave soon after. We only had two table service Disney meals during the 6 day trip; previous trips we always had at least one and often two per day. In the past we'd get dinner at Jiko, Brown Derby, CA Grille, BOG...this year we ate at the Mara a lot.

My sister picked us up from the airport and asked for everyone's favorite thing: not one of my kids named something Disney (we stayed onsite and didn't have a car, so the few times we cabbed off campus are what made the trip...quite a change from years past). When bowling beats the parks, I think you've got a problem.

I'm sorry your trip wasn't as good as it could have been. It sucks when you spend money and time on a vacation & the turn out isn't great:hug:. Maybe Disney will discontinue FP+ and go back to the old FP system. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath!;)

I was up at midnight also. Booked for 10 days and got to bed at 2:00am!!! Had to get up early and just got back home... very. tired. And why? because I was planning a WDW vacation. Sigh.

I did well with getting our FP+s last night (didn't need A&E, but saw it show up here and there). Most FP+ times are at least close to what I wanted, but I have a couple days that definitely need tweaking. We are a party of 5.

I have NOT enjoyed this experience. And, it scares me to hear of some of the long wait for rides that we didn't get FP+ for. :scared: You know, those rides that are "never" busy!!! But, apparently are now. :crazy2:

What has really affected my opinion to date is that our ADRs are SET IN STONE and having to try to fit FP+ around them has been HARD to say the least. Yes, theoretically you can change ADRs, but reality is there just ISN'T availability.

And, we are not "huge" park hoppers, but we do so occasionally. In the past, for instance, we'd have FP- all day long in AK. Then we'd hop over to MK. Grab a FP- for Space Mountain and head for dinner. After dinner, grab another FP- while heading to SM. Then ride our other FP- and maybe grab one more for the evening. Now, we can get those 3 for MK, but have ZERO for our day at AK. Explain to me again why Park Hoppers are an "advantage" (under FP+)? Maybe advantage is the wrong word, but they are an upcharge!

Sorry, getting too fired up. Hey, maybe I'm just tired! LOL.

Anyway, do the MAJORITY of people ENJOY, I mean really enjoy, the process of booking FP+??? I did NOT. :confused3

MK is a tough park to plan. After reviewing all my FP+ plans, I realized I had forgotten to book a FP+ for Splash Mountain. I was too busy worrying about the rides "everybody" was encouraging me to get FP for. I ended up changing some around. I am leaving Friday morning and I still don't know if my decisions were good or not. Checking out the wait times over the past week, I may have been way off base in thinking I could ride Jungle Cruise Standby. :crazy2:

FWIW, unless it's unusually hot for October when you're there, the lines for Splash won't be long and FP+s for it are readily available the day of. Even in August, when it was deathly hot and I wanted to die from the heat, we were able to pull Splash as one of our 4th FPs. During our past October trips, lines for Splash were typically in the 20-25 minute range in the mornings and evenings, making a FP+ of marginal use unless you're hellbent on riding during peak times in the early afternoon.

We are like you. We were just there in September and we never hit rope drop. It's a Small World is still one of my favorite rides. And Soarin once a decade is more than enough.

But since I didn't stay up until midnight we missed 7DMT. So, now I am trying to convince the family to make rope drop so we can "dash" to ride it. And I am using a scooter. :worried:

Now, I still love Disney. And this won't make me change where I vacation. But I am disappointed.

But since I didn't stay up until midnight we missed 7DMT. So, now I am trying to convince the family to make rope drop so we can "dash" to ride it. And I am using a scooter. :worried:

This is one of the things that really bothers me.
Under FP-, if you had mobility issues, you might not be able to make the standby line at rope drop, but at least you could get a FP- and ride later. Now, if you are locked out on-line (booked a late trip, have a short trip, staying off site, popular ride, etc.), your only real option is to wait in a long standby line (because the rope drop "runners" will beat you there). That's lousy!!!!

We used to really appreciate FP- because it minimized the wait time for our family members with minor mobility issues. We did rope drop, approximately, to avoid long lines - not necessarily to get in SB lines at rope drop, but to get FP- to minimize standing.

I am not sure that a commando, do all the E-tickets at MK in one day touring is still realistically possible. Disney, I'm sure wants to find the right mix of slowing everyone down but everyone still enjoying themselves which translates into guests needing more days to accomplish each park. I had 3 MK days last week and due to early park closings and slow recoveries from those afternoon breaks we still did not do everything. My basic strategy going forward is rope drop one to two E-ticket rides in the same land then line up FP+ for the mid-morning to noon time frame for 2nd tier type rides then the afternoon/evening will be the shows and low wait rides while mixing in the 4-5-6 FP+ options. Anything with a decent wait must be done first thing or with FP+. Having a 2nd set of bands linked to a different MDE for same day FP+ helps, I am sold on that. Hopefully that loop hole remains open.

I'm sorry your trip wasn't as good as it could have been. It sucks when you spend money and time on a vacation & the turn out isn't great:hug:. Maybe Disney will discontinue FP+ and go back to the old FP system. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath!;)

I don't expect them to drop it either, but I'm also confident they'll improve it. Disney does try to get things right (and almost always succeeds). It made me think I'd let a little more time pass before our next trip, and by then it'll be a better system.

And the trip wasn't bad -- lots of other things went well. The weather was beautiful (hot, but at least it was dry and beautiful blue skies), and Splitsville was something we hadn't tried before and everyone loved it. AKL was also new for us, and a slower, less-time-in-the-parks trip was a great one to spend there. Usually our Disney days are very action-packed, but it wasn't all bad to have more time on the balcony watching the zebras munch (for me...I'll admit the beauty of the beasts was lost on my kids after the initial oohs and aahs. But hey, to each their own -- I found my happy in the savannah viewing, they found theirs on the water slide.)

I don't expect them to drop it either, but I'm also confident they'll improve it. Disney does try to get things right (and almost always succeeds). It made me think I'd let a little more time pass before our next trip, and by then it'll be a better system.

I hope Disney improves the current situation, but it seems that everything they are trying lately is making it worse. I'm referring to eliminating the SB line at TSMM and Soarin'. It seems that the execs are trying to force guests into using FP+.
Also, IMO the idea of lengthening the amount of days I spend at Disney so that I can experience everything is just not worth it. I have substantially lowered my expectations about what we will be able to do at WDW on our next trip in April. We will only visit Epcot and MK and then visit Universal.

Also, I am thinking this will be our final trip to the world. I have great memories of past trips, but now it seems that I spend a lot of time wandering around the parks and wishing for the "good old days".

We'll probably visit DLR for our Disney fix, but WDW is just becoming too much work for too little return on investment.:(

I feel bad for OP, but why is it that others aren't allowed to express that they like FP+, but people are allowed to complain that they don't like it?

I like hearing both sides of who had good experiences and who had bad ones to help make more informed decisions.

Exactly- seems like every time someone starts a thread complaining about fp+, someone else pops in and "predicts" there are those who like it and give the reasons they do...perhaps they do it to dissuade others from posting their experiences so that it appears as though everyone hates it.

While they may seem psychic, the "standard" reasons for not liking fp+ are just as predictable. I suppose those who have found they enjoy fp+ could do the same thing, but that just makes for useless arguments and really doesn't add to the discussion at all.

We just got back Tuesday and had a positive experience with FP+, but I see that's apparently off-limits to talk about so I'll spare the details.

We just got back Tuesday and had a positive experience with FP+, but I see that's apparently off-limits to talk about so I'll spare the details.
Personally, I would love to hear about your trip. I'm glad you had a positive experience.

Exactly- seems like every time someone starts a thread complaining about fp+, someone else pops in and "predicts" there are those who like it and give the reasons they do...perhaps they do it to dissuade others from posting their experiences so that it appears as though everyone hates it.

While they may seem psychic, the "standard" reasons for not liking fp+ are just as predictable. I suppose those who have found they enjoy fp+ could do the same thing, but that just makes for useless arguments and really doesn't add to the discussion at all.

This conversation was going along without any rancor until now. People were sharing their disappointments.
Do you deliberately travel around the boards to create arguments? If so, congratulations you are very successful.

This conversation was going along without any rancor until now. People were sharing their disappointments.
Do you deliberately travel around the boards to create arguments? If so, congratulations you are very successful.

And congrats for adding to it. I agreed with what someone else said-I don't see a problem.

And congrats for adding to it. I agreed with what someone else said-I don't see a problem.

Glad to hear you don't have a problem with FP+. But instead of leaving it at that or giving the reasons you like FP+, you choose to make inflammatory statements.

Glad to hear you don't have a problem with FP+. But instead of leaving it at that or giving the reasons you like FP+, you choose to make inflammatory statements.

Calm down friend. All that happened was they agreed with my post. Everything was fine then you came along and started acting like we bursted in on a private pity part for FP+ haters.

No one was arguing, but you are starting to stir the pot a bit.

Calm down friend. All that happened was they agreed with my post. Everything was fine then you came along and started acting like we bursted in on a private pity part for FP+ haters.

No one was arguing, but you are starting to stir the pot a bit.

I'm very sorry. That was not my intention.

And the trip wasn't bad -- lots of other things went well. The weather was beautiful (hot, but at least it was dry and beautiful blue skies), and Splitsville was something we hadn't tried before and everyone loved it. AKL was also new for us, and a slower, less-time-in-the-parks trip was a great one to spend there. Usually our Disney days are very action-packed, but it wasn't all bad to have more time on the balcony watching the zebras munch (for me...I'll admit the beauty of the beasts was lost on my kids after the initial oohs and aahs. But hey, to each their own -- I found my happy in the savannah viewing, they found theirs on the water slide.)
The problem is Disney is not trying to make the customer happy, they are trying to change the way the customer thinks and acts while in the park. That's their main objective.

I'm very sorry. That was not my intention.

No worries brother. I too can get annoyed when people are posting and then someone throws a wedge into things.

FP+ like it or not has definitely caused some ******* among Disney fans...that's the saddest part about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter