• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yeast Shortages?

Temp and time?

My sourdough has been going for 2 years. I use my discards for coffeecakes and pretzels and other things, but a flatbread sounds yummy!
I really just wing it. 350 for about 15 minutes,or until it looks done.:thumbsup2 I also saw an idea somewhere that you can make a drop donut,like fried in oil with the pouroff, but I haven't done that.... like I said, butter on the watrm flatbread pouroff is my treat.

If anyone wants 16 ounces of instant yeast, you can get it at Waffle Pantry. I ordered it from there and it arrived in 2-3 days. I know its a substantial amount of yeast, but instant yeast really doesn't expire (unlike active yeast), doesn't need to be bloomed, and could be added in a cold state. So its perfect for freezing.

I've had a sourdough starter for about 5 years now, and it really doesn't need any fussing around, at least in my experience. I had a couple of false starts when I first made it (mix 4 ounces each of flour and water and let it sit out on the counter covered until it bubbles). I would feed it once a week (pour out half and then add 4 ounces again each of flour/water then wait for it to bubble), but honestly I let it sit in the fridge for months and months and then take it out to feed it and it pops back up. I at least haven't found I needed to feed it daily or even weekly at this stage.

I really just wing it. 350 for about 15 minutes,or until it looks done.:thumbsup2 I also saw an idea somewhere that you can make a drop donut,like fried in oil with the pouroff, but I haven't done that.... like I said, butter on the watrm flatbread pouroff is my treat.
Awesome, will try this later!

If anyone wants 16 ounces of instant yeast, you can get it at Waffle Pantry. I ordered it from there and it arrived in 2-3 days. I know its a substantial amount of yeast, but instant yeast really doesn't expire (unlike active yeast), doesn't need to be bloomed, and could be added in a cold state. So its perfect for freezing.

Thank you!
This is still in stock so I was able to get some.
I was able to order flour from Target for shipping this morning and it's already shipped too!

Thank you!
I was able to order flour from Target for shipping this morning and it's already shipped too!

Thanks for this! I just saw this post and ordered, too! :) Have been trying for weeks to find it.

My home made yeast got cold during the night and it didn't work.

What in the world do I do with it at night short of snuggling with it in my pillow?

My home made yeast got cold during the night and it didn't work.

What in the world do I do with it at night short of snuggling with it in my pillow?
Put it in a turned off oven with the light on.

ETA: Getting cold won't hurt it, just slow it down a bit.

Thank you!
What did you guys pay for shipping? They wanted to charge over $40 in shipping fees for a $9 bag of yeast!

What did you guys pay for shipping? They wanted to charge over $40 in shipping fees for a $9 bag of yeast!

I paid $7.99 shipping for FedEx 2 day shipping. I bought 2 bags of the SAF-Red Instant Yeast. The shipping quote was the same for me for 1 bag or 2, so I got 2 bags. My total, with shipping, was $25.95. When I put in my zip code for the shipping quote, they showed 3 options for shipping: an option for overnight shipping that was $30-something, usps priority mail 1-3 days or fed-ex 2-day. The fed-ex and usps were both offered at $7.99, so I chose the fedex 2 day. Maybe it automatically/accidentally on the overnight shipping option, instead of the other choices?

[/QUOTE]="HeatherC, post: 61816589, member: 50590"]
[/QUOTE]

If it's shipping from east to west coast or vice versa that would help explain the shipping cost as well as the weight of the yeast. We run an ecommerce website and shipping costs have gone up to ridiculous levels lately. Makes me appreciate the days of free shipping even more.

I paid $7.99 shipping for FedEx 2 day shipping. I bought 2 bags of the SAF-Red Instant Yeast. The shipping quote was the same for me for 1 bag or 2, so I got 2 bags. My total, with shipping, was $25.95. When I put in my zip code for the shipping quote, they showed 3 options for shipping: an option for overnight shipping that was $30-something, usps priority mail 1-3 days or fed-ex 2-day. The fed-ex and usps were both offered at $7.99, so I chose the fedex 2 day. Maybe it automatically/accidentally on the overnight shipping option, instead of the other choices?

I also paid $7.99 for fedex shipping (to NY).
I wanted 2 bags but it alerted me that there was a limit on 1 so I didn't try for 2.

If you are still looking for yeast, try Aldi. I’m not a bread baker, so I haven’t bought any. But the last few times I’ve been there they have had plenty of the little yeast packets in the baking aisle.

I also paid $7.99 for fedex shipping (to NY).
I wanted 2 bags but it alerted me that there was a limit on 1 so I didn't try for 2.

We're in northeast PA; about 40 - 45 minutes from Binghampton, NY.
There wasn't alert or anything when I was on yesterday. Maybe they got more in stock. There was a banner across the top of the home page that said something like "we have instantyeast in stock!". I was thrilled to see it! :)
I got 2, because it said that unopened, it would last a long time- I think it said 2 years. My son has a peanut & tree nut allergy, so we make / bake a lot of stuff at home.
Yesterday, at the grocery store, I saw in the refrigerated case- near the cheese's, the store had stocked some little containers of yeast - in like take-out salad dressing containers, for $0.99 each. I think they just repackaged from their bulk supply from their in-house bakery department. I didn't buy any there, because of my son's allergies- the bakery uses nuts and everything is on shared surfaces- so they advised us in the past that their products made in store weren'y safe for allergy-suffers- but for those without issues, it may be an option to find small amounts :)

Thanks. The only option was FedEx ground. Think I will pass. $50 for a bag of yeast is not something I need that much.

I placed an online order today and there were quite a few yeast choices for the first time in a month, so this may be recovering (havent picked it up yet)

they also let me ask for tp!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter