• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Year of a Million Dreams - Again?

scheddj

Take that Tag Fairy - I made my own!!
I was just reading a post on Facebook about how rude guests are to cast members and each other now. Someone mentioned that Disney should bring back the Year of a Million Dreams celebration because we were all on our best behavior trying to get to be family of the day, a night in the castle, fast passes, etc. I think this is a brilliant idea. I can remember using that on my littlest at the time “you know they aren’t going to pixie dust anyone who is whiney or sassy” 🤭. Anyone else think Disney could use this to make grownups behave?

I don't even remember this promotion, if we went during that time I wasn't thinking about getting anything extra, so my vote is no. I don't think there is much that will improve the rude behavior of people, rudeness has been normalized in our society unfortunately.

Sadly, I don't see a connection either. Would be nice to bring back random acts of pixie dust by Disney, but I don't see a connection to behavior. Many rude people would tell you that they're not rude! But the idea of someone from Disney walking up to your family and offering a magical bonus would be awesome again!

It might, but like a pp said, many people are just acting like they always do. :(

Sidebar: during the Million Dreams, we got free preferred AK parking and then we were in the TT holding area, they gave all of us special tickets to have an Epcot after hours that night.

I loved a Year of a Million Dreams but I could see it causing more rude guests- not less. Why weren't they selected for something?!? It's not fair! Etc... Like with things like the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer Island social media made it where they couldn't keep it as adults were running out there first thing to fight over finding them for an extra fastpass. With social media like it is today any Year of a Million Dream teams would be stalked and timing posted hoping to figure out a pattern or a way to game the system. It would be a mess.

Some people already fuss and complain that their vacation is ruined now if they don't get pixie dusted- Year of the Million Dreams would be that on steriods.

Last edited:

Ah Year of a Million Dreams brings back memories. I remember it lasted like 2-3 years instead of just one and I remember I didn't win a darn thing! Lol! But yeah, like the pp said, I think it would make people behave worse with the entitled attitudes. Then I picture all the vloggers/influencers out there trying to get the magic moments for themselves so they can film it or whatever these people do.

I'm not excusing rude behavior, but I think people are acting the way they are out of frustration. Costs at Disney are skyrocketing, while park staffing is lower than ever, Genie + is a mess, and the poor cast members are being unloaded on.

I'm not excusing rude behavior, but I think people are acting the way they are out of frustration. Costs at Disney are skyrocketing, while park staffing is lower than ever, Genie + is a mess, and the poor cast members are being unloaded on.
I agree with your reasons as to why it may be worse now. But, we noticed this was starting to show up before the Co-Vid shutdown. Our trip last month, we saw more rude behavior than ever. Not sure how you change that (or if you can).

I agree with your reasons as to why it may be worse now. But, we noticed this was starting to show up before the Co-Vid shutdown. Our trip last month, we saw more rude behavior than ever. Not sure how you change that (or if you can).
We first noticed it back in 2015, but it seems like the rudeness and entitlement just keep getting worse.

Actually the MILLION DREAMS campaign was very organized/laid out.
The CM was given a card with certain info : For example

Go to this attraction /area, at this time.
Look for a guest with a red hat (for example).
Cm would 'screen' that guest. They could not have ANY connection to DISNEY.

You had to be able to use that 'dream'. The hardest was the Cinderella suite since it was only avail THAT night.
If that wish was not given out, it went to another CM to get another card to choice another gst with different 'rules' .

The process was lawyered up so Noone could say it was rigged.

No, I don’t think it will help. The entitled behavior was there back then. SM was not as prevalent, but the Dis was here. I’m sure you can find some old posts.

As for YOAMD, Iger and team did a great job steering the company through the Great Recession. And that was for the 35th. I wonder what could’ve been had he stayed on during Covid and the 50th…but even more what he will do now.

We were fortunate enough to experience 2 year of a million dreams giveaways in one trip. When exiting IASW we were given free Mickey ears, and then in HS we were given a lanyard with fastpasses for all the major rides. It made the trip extra special, but I agree that with social media and the greater numbers of visitors, it would be very hard to do something similar today.

No. This behavior started WAY before COVID. In 2019 we actually decided to take a break from our AP after a decade because I couldn't stand the guests behavior anymore. It was beyond acceptable. It had been happening for years.

I think most guests don't pay attention to others behavior but I usually travel with just DS#1 who doesn't talk so I spend lots of time hearing/seeing everyone else. There simply is no excuse for the behaviors we see, frustration or not.

AGREED.

One thing I wish Disney would do is not work from the "customer is always right" stand point. It only emboldens. I wish they stick to their rules, and not bend over backwards. No other company puts up with this kind of abuse. If folks think they can't get what they want by acting up, perhaps it will slow it down. It won't stop the abuse towards each other but Disney needs to protect frontline CMs from the abuse.

I'm surprised Disney didn't do this for WDW's 50th Anniversary like they did for DLR's 50th Anniversary.

It's not frustration because you see the same stuff outside the parks, it's just how some people are. Example, yesterday at the grocery store the guy left the cart next to where he'd parked, right next to the end of the cart return. It was 10 feet to the opening and would have taken him less than a minute to actually return the cart to it's proper location instead of leaving it between two spaces. Some people just don't care for *insert so many different reasons*.

I love your desire to change rude behaviours but unfortunately I don’t think small rewards will do it.
YOMD was great (although we didn’t win anything in 30+ nights on property during this promotion :))
but rude or not, if you were the fourth person off Soarin when that winner came up, you won, behaviour notwithstanding.
I’m also saddened that grown *** adults can’t simply be kind because they’re human. That’s the truly tragic part in all this.

I work in retail, there is less and less human or kind in humankind these days.

Disney is not known for repeating marketing initiatives.
Especially when it comes to year long events.
I say, "NOPE!"

That promotion was so fun. We won the fast pass lanyard getting onto Jungle cruise and it was awesome (even tho I was there with my child too small for most of those rides). We have them in a scrapbook. I loved the complete randomness of it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter