"Year in Review" Christmas cards

castleview

I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown
So I just got the press release from my dear friend and neighbor telling us everything she did this year. I love her dearly, but I'm at the point where I just want to throw it out before I start to read it. Anyone else?

Nobody would want to read my past year - starting with my father's death (who I lived with for a decade) , my lip being shredded (literally) by one dog followed by multiple staph infections, death of other dog from cancer at age 5, best friend diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, and sciatica that made me scream with pain. Everytime I think this has to get better something worse happens!!!!! Not everyone has had a charmed life!

So I just got the press release from my dear friend and neighbor telling us everything she did this year. I love her dearly, but I'm at the point where I just want to throw it out before I start to read it. Anyone else?

:rotfl:

I don't like them. If I am close to you, I most likey know all of this stuff. If I'm not that close to you, either I don't really care about your annual accomplishments or if I really want to know how you are, or what you have done, I'll ask. I don't need you to send me a newsletter :thumbsup2

DD and her DH got one of those Christmas Newsletters yesterday that they always get from this same couple they're friends with.. They always have me read it out loud to them for some reason.. (They're local - they see them about every other week..)

I have to note here that it's always written by the husband - not the wife (she thinks they're stupid)..

Anyhow - it really started off pretty well.. Not too over-the-top; talked about his job; their children; his wife's accomplishments at work (and within the community); and then proceeded to literally rip his wife to shreds!! He was insulting her left and right (and no - he wasn't kidding)..:sad2:

We all just stood there dumbfounded.. Who does that to their wife? And sends it to God-only-knows how many people? I have to say my opinion of him just dropped about 150 notches.. It was awful! :eek:

Somehow I think if there's a Christmas Newsletter next year, it may be about his role as an "ex-husband" and a "weekend dad"..:sad2:

Unbelievable!! :eek:

We sent one out to folks that we don't keep in close contact with but that we still send Christmas cards to, updating them on deaths in the family (2), and marriages in the family (2). Figured they'd want to know at least that much. Didn't mention any of our travels or other "highlights".

We send out an annual letter to extended family only because we live so far apart. It's rare year that we all can be together, so the one page, double spaced, non-complaining letter keeps them in the loop.

We got a letter from some 60-something friends of ours. It had a picture of their motorcycle and a sappy poem about how we should appreciate life :confused3

I don't mind those letters, no worse than what folks post on a daily basis on Facebook, or even here.

DD and her DH got one of those Christmas Newsletters yesterday that they always get from this same couple they're friends with.. They always have me read it out loud to them for some reason.. (They're local - they see them about every other week..)

I have to note here that it's always written by the husband - not the wife (she thinks they're stupid)..

Anyhow - it really started off pretty well.. Not too over-the-top; talked about his job; their children; his wife's accomplishments at work (and within the community); and then proceeded to literally rip his wife to shreds!! He was insulting her left and right (and no - he wasn't kidding)..:sad2:

We all just stood there dumbfounded.. Who does that to their wife? And sends it to God-only-knows how many people? I have to say my opinion of him just dropped about 150 notches.. It was awful! :eek:

Somehow I think if there's a Christmas Newsletter next year, it may be about his role as an "ex-husband" and a "weekend dad"..:sad2:

:scared1: What do you mean?? What was he saying? I guess she didn't read it before he sent it. Wow.

We got 4 -

One was completely bragging; I roll my eyes every year. (It's from someone so otherwise sweet and not like that too!)

One was amusing - always is. She uses a cute format and I look forward to this one.

One was new. They don't usually do one, but it was honest, and OK.

The last was the annual "lets convert everyone in our address book, even though they're already celebrating Christmas" one. I always want to say, "I get it already. Leave me alone!"

I'm at the point where I just want to throw it out before I start to read it. Anyone else?

Honestly....I DON'T read them....not a one.

I fold it back up, put it back in the envelope, and leave it on the counter for DH, in case he wants to read it. Each and every time. I just don't have the time, nor interest.

I love a few bullet points or maybe a one page 12 point font or larger. I really do enjoy them 90% of the time.

We got one last night from friends and I kid you not, it was on LEGAL paper and 8 point font! I love these friends but there was no way I was going to buy new reading glasses strong enough to get through that.

We've sent them out before but we usually try to make them very funny. If they don't come quick and funny, we don't send them out. We haven't done one in three years now. I did 'A year in FB statuses' on facebook and that pretty much accomplished the same thing. :lmao:

Then DO throw it out. We don't send ours to anyone we see more than twice a year...we send to relatives and old friends. If they don't care, it matters not to me if they pitch it. I don't read all of them that H's friends send. When I get a card from an old friend that has only a signature, all I know is that they didn't die this year.

I found a neat photo card on Shutterfly - it had space to type in our top 10 moments/experiences/events of 2010, and each one was only a short sentence. It allowed me to capture the main events of the year and what the kids were into but not gush about them. And we didn't have a lot of major things, so some of them were simple. To me that's a perfect kind of "newsletter"!

Apparently it's just me, but I kind of enjoy them. I get a chance to "catch up" with people I don't normally get to. :confused3

We got one letter... from the in-laws. They're always so ridiculous. At one point in the letter they detailed the job that DH's sister has been doing for the last year and then followed it up with, "her contract ends in early January so she is currently searching for work." Is that really necessary? :scared1:

They also "sign" the card from all the kids and inlaws. I was creeped out enough when my signature showed up on the card the year we got married - the only thing I can figure out is they scanned my signature from the thank you card I sent them after the wedding and then digitally added it to all the cards. But then this year my 4 month old DS's "signature" showed up the card... complete with childish handwriting. SERIOUSLY!?!? He's 4 months old! He just mastered grasping squeaky toys!!!! :eek:

I think this needs to be posted for all DISers to see.;)

I still get an annual Christmas newsletter from a "Little Sister" from my college fraternity. I haven't seen this woman or had any other contact with her at all in over 25 years. I used to send her a reply Christmas card but stopped after about five years.

Never met her husband, kids, or pets. She apparently sends the newsletter to all the 'brothers" of my graduating class.

It's actually kind of an amusing letter; no bragging or anything like that. But I'm not sure why she bothers after all these years without getting a response. Guess she just enjoys it.

Jim

Wow! I just don't get all the hostility about something as innocent as a letter in a Christmas card. Sure, some folks do go over the top bragging about their family and their material possessions, but most of the ones I read certainly do not. I try very hard to make mine interesting, not braggy and straightforward. Sorry if saying DS does well in school is bragging. Guess I could also mention he got a D in English last term (but all other classes an A or B) b/c he didn't turn in a major paper, or that her is responding well to his increased dosage of ADHD med, but why embarrass the boy? It's a fine line.

I started sending a yearly letter when DS was little and we were no longer as free to visit old friends and relatives. Yes, yes, we could send e-mails or make phone calls....but we don't. Now with DS 14 and DD 7 we are busy, but still want to keep in touch with folks. And I don't tell my whole life on Facebook, nor are all of our friends and especially our older relatives on Facebook. I have found it is those older folks who make a point of saying they enjoy getting our letter.

I am sure there are folks who pitch our letter without reading, but that is their choice Personally, I hate getting a Christmas card from people who rarely see or talk with that only has a signature. As someone else said, all I know is that they are alive. I would like to know what the kids are up to (and guess what? I don't always want to talk with their parents). DH has a cousin with 2 kids. They send a picture card each year, often some very strange picture At least take the time to explain the picture!

Wish I knew however who pitched my card without reading the letter....I would take them off the list and save my postage. If you don't even care enough about my family to spend a couple of minutes reading about us, why should I bother wasting my money?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter