YEAH...we got a trip as a gift...YIKES the only time we can go is JULY!

RubySlippers

DIS Veteran
We received a wonderful, incredible , unbelievable gift of an all expenses paid trip!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:pixiedust:

We are veterans and previous annual pass holders with over 20 trips under our belts HOWEVER only ONE of those was during the Summer.

Our schedule at this point is not as flexible as it used to be and we will be taking this trip the last week of JULY:scared: with a kiddo in a stroller:woohoo:

Give me your best tips and tricks for managing the heat, the crowds , the inevitable 20 min downpour:lmao:

Congratulations on winning a trip to WDW!!!!:cool1:

We always go in the summer & we do everything we want & more. :goodvibes

Get to rope drop

Ride the headliners first (Peter Pan, Pooh, TSM, Soarin)

Use Fastpasses. We just went over Easter & didnt wait more than 10 minutes for anything because of FP.

Take a AC breaks often.

All our trips to WDW have been in July. Get to the parks before rope drop and leave for an afternoon break when the parks are busiest. Arriving early makes all the difference in the world. We also carry water so everyone doesn't get dehydrated. Also, don't let rain stop you. :)

Congratulations on winning a trip to WDW!!!!

Thank you! We actually did not win the trip... It is a GIFT!!!:worship:

Get to rope drop

Ride the headliners first (Peter Pan, Pooh, TSM, Soarin)

Use Fastpasses. We just went over Easter & didnt wait more than 10 minutes for anything because of FP.

Take a AC breaks often

:thumbsup2

We go in July. Hitting rope drop to do the headliners, then go at a more leisuurely pace works best for us. We also take a break mid-day when it is the hottest and most crowded. Congratulations and have a great time.:goodvibes

Hey, that's awesome! :thumbsup2:woohoo::dance3: Well, you are a Dis vet, so not sure I can add a whole lot that you don't already know...

If you can, as others have said, get there early and get as much done as you can. Then either catch a bunch of indoor shows in the afternoon, or head back to the resort and nap/swim. Come back from your nap/pool time and catch the fireworks or evening shows and maybe catch a good ride or two as the crowds clear out.

Seems like the EMH in the morning and evening might be useful. Since the summer is so busy anyway, maybe try to use the EMH to either get a lot done really early, or adjust your sleep schedule and stay up late.

We bring a soft sided cooler into the parks with ice placed inside gallon storage bags (so they don't leak all over) and have bottled water and juices in the cooler. We hang it on the stroller or place it underneath. Helps big time with the heat to grab an ice cold bottled water.

Dan

Washcloth. Zipper plastic bag. Take washcloth and put under sink faucet in bathrooms found all over Disney World. Wet. Wash face and every other exposed body part. Repeat as necessary for maximum effect. Place washcloth into zipper plastic bag.

Repeat many times during the day.

Water bottle. Water fountains. Place water bottle under the fountain head. Fill. Repeat many times during the day.

Air conditioning. Find as much and as often as needed.

The parks are open pretty late in the summer (for the most part) which makes the touring tolerable and fun. Agree with PPs: key is to avoid the midday sun if possible, or plan indoor activities in A/C to break up the unrelenting heat. Do more in the morning before it gets mega hot, and evenings. We also find we are not that hungry in the heat, so we do not plan big meals in the day,but grab what we feel like from CS.

Other key: Drink as much water as you can safely tolerate. This is even more important if you are eating less (and thus getting less water overall).

At first, I too was dreading summer trips, but I've come to love them. I even enjoy the looks no other guests' faces walking by me when I very happily exclaim, which I do often, "Hoo Baby, it's h..o..t!!"

Yes, it is a little like vacationing on the sun -- but it's Disney World. Have a great trip.

If your gift trip isn't park-specific, consider going to Disneyland instead. You've been to the World a bunch so a visit to Walt's park might be a fun change. Also, the weather in July is much more pleasant - 80-85 degree days and 60 degree morning/evenings and no humidity or rain. You can see the new Carsland and Buena Vista Street at Disney's California Adventure and the newly renovated Matterhorn at Disneyland park, plus ride some Disney World favorites such as Soarin', Pirates, Peter Pan, Small World, Muppets and more. Did you know Tinkerbell flys AROUND the castle during the fireworks? :thumbsup2

If Disney World is where you need to be, then plan a trip that focuses on food and lengthy indoor fun as much as possible. When I went in August, those were the things that gave us the best memories of that very hot trip.

My family and I went there last year for the last week in July, with 2 little ones in carraiges. It really wasnt bad. We didnt really get bothered by the heat ( we are from northern new england so not used to it either). Grab one of the spray bottles with the fan on it. It does work to cool you down and if the kids in the carraiges are old enough they have fun playing with it while you are walking place to place. Keep in mind that most of the indoor stuff is really airconditioned so spread apart indoor and outdoor so you get relief. Also grab waterproof high rated sunblock. we went through alot of that (reapply every 2-3 hours). Have fun, The heat is not that bad when your having fun.

I talk to my husband about this often. We went the first time the last week of July and it was hot and humid all the time, we never saw a drop of rain. But it was out favorite trip... maybe because it was out first! We have gone twice since then in March and May and loved the crowds and weather but we are going again last minute mid June so I am trying to be optimistic that it will not be as humid. I do the same as the others. Get there at opening and leave in the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter