YC or Contemporary?

ktlm

DIS Veteran
For those who have stayed at both, which do you prefer? We are looking at Garden View/Wing Contemporary or Garden View YC. We have never stayed at either resort.

We've stayed at BC, and we did love Stormalong Bay and the proximity to EPCOT and DHS. That would be a plus for YC, but I'm a little concerned about YC not having a CS at all. Contemporary has never really appealed to me, which is why we have not stayed there, but it sure would be nice to walk to MK. I also figure I shouldn't judge it until I've tried it, I might really like it. We've stayed at Poly, GF, WL, AKL and POR in the past. We loved all of them.

Also, does YC pipe the same scent into the lobby as the BC? Is it as strong over there as at the BC? That was the one really bad thing about BC for us, as it bothered my allergies pretty bad. I've heard that GF uses the same scent, but we have only stayed there in the holiday season when it is a Gingerbread scent instead, and that one didn't bother me at all.

I'd love any guidance or opinions!

We've stayed at both BC & YC. They are really 1 resort with 2 sides. Aside from theming, YC rooms all have balconies. Busses stop at YC first. I found it was a short walk over to BC counter service. And there's the counter service at the pool too, Hurricane Hana's. In the morning the little bar off the lobby had breakfast food, bagels, pasteries, milk & cereal, fruit, and toasters for bagels, etc.
I didn't notice the scent in YC lobby, so it must not have been too strong?

We've stayed at both BC & YC. They are really 1 resort with 2 sides. Aside from theming, YC rooms all have balconies. Busses stop at YC first. I found it was a short walk over to BC counter service. And there's the counter service at the pool too, Hurricane Hana's. In the morning the little bar off the lobby had breakfast food, bagels, pasteries, milk & cereal, fruit, and toasters for bagels, etc.
I didn't notice the scent in YC lobby, so it must not have been too strong?

Thank you so much! That is really helpful! DH usually goes down and grabs breakfast for everyone at CS and brings it to the room, and what the bar has in the morning sounds like what we eat at WDW for breakfast normally, so that eases one of my concerns totally. He won't have to trek down to BC in the morning. I had forgotten that buses stop at YC before BC, so that is a plus as well. I walked down to YC when we stayed at BC last fall and I don't remember it smelling like BC either, but I seem to remember a couple of years ago people talking about them having the same scent, so I wasn't sure if I was right that it did not smell.

Anyone have any opinions on the Contemporary Garden View/Wing? I have no clue about the Contemporary at all other than we can walk to MK which is a big plus, and that the TTC is the next stop on the resort line, so it shouldn't take too long to get to EPCOT. One of the things that makes the Contemporary a little less appealing to us as a resort is the fact it looks like it would be so loud in the rooms with the open center and monorail and Chef Mickey's, so I thought maybe a garden wing room would be quieter? The Garden Wing Contemporary rooms are the same price as YC, so I'm kind of torn on which resort to try!

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite in the Garden Wing in 2011. It wasn't my favorite. The room itself was nice, but the wing is actually a separate building (not in the Contemporary Tower - you can cut through the lobby, go out the backdoors and follow the breezeway along the property to get to the Garden Wing).

I certainly wouldn't talk anyone out of it, but I would have preferred the tower (and the room was beautiful - newly remodeled and with it being a corner, we had water views on each side). Being able to walk to MK was the primary appeal (and the reason we stayed at BLT in 2012 and again on our upcoming vacation). If that particular area was in the Tower, I would be singing it's praises - but at the end of the day, it felt like so much more walking (possibly because we had the very last room at the back of the wing, so not only the walking to and from Contemporary, to get to the Wing, but then the length of the Wing itself).

For me, in this situation, it would come down to whether you would be spending more time in MK or EP. If you'll be doing several days in MK, I've said many times that the walkway is worth it's weight in gold! I wouldn't mind staying in the tower at some point, and we do love Contempo Cafe for QS and Chef Mickey's for one meal of each trip, but for now we adore BLT. Rooms are beautiful and the walk - although probably about the same as the Garden Wing - just didn't feel quite as long at the end of the day :).

That being said, if you're planning on several days at EP, I would probably stay at the YC. Our schedule always has about 4 trips (minimum) to MK, so BLT is the best fit for us at this time. We hate all transportation to and from MK (had some bad experiences with it in 2010). Maybe when our kids are older, we'll start trying other deluxes :).

I don't have any desire to stay in a garden wing room so is say yc. I like location of cr though, have you considered a different monorail resort you know you love?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

When I can't decide, I do a split stay. A MK resort coupled with an EP resort is a perfect split, IMO, but if you didn't want to do a split, I'd pick YC over CR without question.

When I can't decide, I do a split stay. A MK resort coupled with an EP resort is a perfect split, IMO, but if you didn't want to do a split, I'd pick YC over CR without question.

After working out our itinerary and looking at the park schedules and dining reservations we canceled our room at OKW and are now doing a split stay at YC and BLT. We have 3 small children so I am looking forward to being as close to the parks as possible, and this seemed like a great compromise.

On our trip with our DS and his family we stayed at the CR for the first 4 nights and the YC for the last 4 nights (split stay). While both were nice, we LOVED the CR SO MUCH MORE THAN THE YC. We did stay in the tower with a TPV however.

At the YC we were in CL with lagoon view rooms. The rooms were nice there as well, but they were smaller and the view was nice but not spectacular. Stormalong Bay was fun, but we liked the simple pool at CR just as much.

At the CR, we found the walk to the MK to be a wonderful asset with small children. Busing from the YC was a hassle. We did like walking into Epcot and enjoyed the Boardwalk area, but missed the monorail for riding to the front of Epcot. Also, the rooms at the CR were so much bigger and more comfortable. The counter service and Chef Mickey's were great - just downstairs! We never found the rooms noisy at all. The kids loved watching the monorail and fireworks from our balcony with us. It was so magical.

I have stayed in the GW GV rooms as well. It was very nice, but the magic of the view from the tower is worth the extra $$, IMO. Still, the CW have the same huge comfortable rooms and some lovely views of Bay Lake. Be aware that second and third floor rooms do not have balconies in the garden wing, so if you want a patio, request the ground floor.

If you have young children, then the CR is a great place to stay. If it is adults only then the YC is wonderful. It partly depends upon which theme parks you plan to visit most often. The YC is more convenient to Epcot's world showcase and DHS. The CR is more convenient to the MK and perhaps to the future world part of Epcot.

A split stay would let you know yourself which you prefer. Whichever you choose, these are fabulous resorts!

Anyone have any opinions on the Contemporary Garden View/Wing? I have no clue about the Contemporary at all other than we can walk to MK which is a big plus, and that the TTC is the next stop on the resort line, so it shouldn't take too long to get to EPCOT. One of the things that makes the Contemporary a little less appealing to us as a resort is the fact it looks like it would be so loud in the rooms with the open center and monorail and Chef Mickey's, so I thought maybe a garden wing room would be quieter? The Garden Wing Contemporary rooms are the same price as YC, so I'm kind of torn on which resort to try!

There is no noise in the rooms once you close the door, and it's really not nearly as loud as you are imagining. It is, however, a lot more expensive. Also, in some ways, I think staying in a garden view room would not really be giving the Contemporary the full "chance" because you have to stay in the tower to really appreciate how awesome and convenient the contemporary is, especially a theme park view (though the bay view is supposed to be lovely as well). But, of course, now we are talking a difference of money. If you are considering the contemporary, and have the money to do so, I highly, highly recommend staying in the tower. You can request to be on the north side of the building (away from Chef Mickey's) if you are concerned about noise. We were on that side, and it was dead silent.

Since you have stayed BC, and YC is very similar, I would say give the Contemporary a try and if you can, stay in the tower.

For our upcoming trip, we had originally booked a Garden Wing room at CR. We loved the idea of being able to walk to/from the MK and, having stayed at Poly on our previous trip, the idea of being on the monorail loop was enticing. But the CR itself didn't really thrill me. Then, when the spring discount came out, our Garden Wing room wasn't included and to upgrade to a Tower room would have only saved us a few hundred dollars. We ended up switching our reservation to a Garden view rom at the BC to save a lot more money and we are totally excited now about the change. We've been doing so much research and have fallen in love with the theming of the BC, the pool looks incredible, love that we will be able to walk to DHS and all the choices EP has to offer (we have park hoppers, so I can send DH into France to pickup breakfast :) ). Or grab something at the Boardwalk Bakery. We can't wait for our trip!

We have stayed in both the CR garden wing and YC. If those were the only two choices, I would go with YC. If it were CR tower or YC, I would choose CR tower.

CR garden wing rooms were very nice...the same as in the tower. I have no desire to stay in the wing again because there is no balcony, the hallways are somewhat narrow and darkish, the elevators are tiny, and it kinda felt like being cheated of the CR experience. The wings are cheaper but the experience reflected the price. KWIM? We loved the pool. It has great food options in the hotel as well as easy access to many food options on the monorail line with minimal effort, and the transportation is really great. We prefer the MK area and the monorail resorts because MK and Epcot are our most visited parks. We love only having to take the bus 2-3 times for our trips to AK/DHS and the monorail or walking for our 7-8 visits to MK/EP. Also, MK is by far the most congested park to leave at park close and we love not having to wait and board a standing room only bus when we are tired at the end of the day and just want to go to bed!

YC was beautiful. Nice rooms but a bit smaller than CR rooms. The views were great from our balcony and the room was quiet. SAB was not our fav because of the layout and the busing to MK was too long, IMO. Our biggest complaints about YC is the lack of true CS and the long walk in the morning to the front of Epcot for rope drop. We like to eat several CS meals at our resort and found that we had to go next door to the Dolphin for such while staying at YC and we prefer to enter Epcot from the front of the park instead of the IG entrance(contrary to many opinions...I know).

Anyhoo....HTHs. Any other specific questions, just ask:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter