YC or BC with kids? Which one???

Gottalovedisney

<font color=6699FF>Looking to obtain world peace t
We've currently got ressies for the BWI concierge but after reading some posts regarding the "not kid friendly" atmosphere, I've decided to switch. We're looking at either the YC concierge or the BC concierge. There are 5 of us, me DH, DD 13, DS 13, DS 8. Which resort and/or concierge do you prefer? Why? Thanks for any advice or suggestions :jester:
Tracy

If I had children, I'd opt for BC, simply because it has a more relaxed atmosphere than the YC. To me the YC seems, well -- "stuffy." The BC is laid-back, easy-going. The kids would love the character breakfast at Cape May. And while admittedly it is only a few steps, BC is closer to Epcot. :p

The BC concierge had Disney movies playing everytime we went in, except for one more when they had CNN on. However, when a couple of kids asked about the movies, the staff popped one in! The concierge staff at the BC also seemed to make an extra effort to connect with the kids on the floor.

More more plus: towel animals. Our mousekeeper, Carmen (who we'd give a 5-star, A++++++ rating to), was a wonder at making these critters. Lobsters, ducks, turkeys, etc. -- every day she worked -- and we didn't have kids! WOW! She told us all the mousekeepers at BC concierge leave TAs for rooms with kids in them. It's a great surprise!!

Beach Club hands down. I just watched Travel Channels top 10 kid friendly hotels and Beach club made the top 10. Of the 2, you often here people say, BC is more for families and YC is more for adults. My mom would disagree because she and my step-father definatly prefer BC and they don't have any little kids, just us grown up kids and her grandchildern, but in general its BC - families, YC - adults.

Thanks for the quick replies :D The BC is my first choice also. DH would prefer the YC. The kids just want the pool:p Does anyone know if the concierge rooms have balconies? We like to sit out at night while the kids fall asleep. I know the YC rooms all have balconies and the BC only has some. Anyone know how the concierge floor is set up? Thanks again for all the help:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Tracy

Tracy: BC Concierge is the 5th floor. Those rooms have balconies, but they are not huge. You can sit down -- ours had 2 chairs and a table. Comfy, but not spacious.

BC is also spread out, so depending on your room number, you may have a bit of a walk to the lounge/elevators. The concierge staff desks are right next to the elevators and the lounge is behind them.

The lounge has some seating, but not a lot. However, I saw a lot of people and kids grab food/snacks/drinks and head back to the room. If the lounge was crowded, that's what my DW and I did.

We ate breakfast there each day: great selection of cereals, donuts, muffins, english muffins, juice, milk, coffee, tea, fruit.

Snacks thoughout the day were great -- I loved their cookies in the afternoon and the dessert tray in the evening.

Hope this helps!

GottaloveDisney,

We've stayed at the YC Concierge for 6 years in a row - often twice a year. Their lakeview rooms have nice balconies for watching the Boardwalk and you can see some of Illuminations from there. I enjoy sitting out there at night too while my 11 year old winds down. He LOVES sitting out there in the early a.m. while I get ready.

I have absolutely never found anyone at YC to be stuffy, formal or rude. And, the Concierge staff seems genuinely interested in what you did where you went. They have always bent over backwards for me. They were able to get me last minute dining reservations and window tables on 2 occasions at both Ca Grille and Bistro!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Definitely the Beach Club... it is more of a family atmosphere, the kid club is located right on the 1st floor, it is a bit closer to Stormalong Bay, and the walk to Epcot is closer!

Thanks everyone for the great replies:) Now if I can just convince my DH that the kids will feel more comfortable at the BC then the YC! We've never stayed in the Epcot area and it sounds wonderful

Eeyore1954,
Thanks for all the details! As long as I can sit on my balcony with my hubby, I'm happy. I don't need anything huge, just bigger than standing room:D Sounds like it'll be perfect!

You guys are great!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I'll also add my vote for the Beach Club. We've stayed there 3 times and it's one of our favorites.

As another poster mentioned, we also thought the Yacht Club felt "stuffy" while the Beach Club had a very laid back feeling. I think kids would enjoy the Beach Club atmosphere more.

The very first time we stayed at BC, our first choice had been YC, but they were full for the dates we wanted so we "settled" for BC. Boy were we happy. We thought the boating theme would be great, but once we got there, we realized we really preferred the relaxed atmosphere of the BC.

One more thing we really liked about the Beach Club was the greeter (I think Art is his name). He stands at the entry to the hotel greeting all the guests. It was a lot of fun to be greeted as we returned to the hotel each night. It's been a couple of years since we stayed at BC-- Anyone know if he's still there?

Originally posted by Terry S
..., but in general its BC - families, YC - adults.

I would tend to disagree with this statement. No offense implied Terry, and even though I own DVC at BCV, when my wife and I stayed at YC for our honeymoon, the place was filled with kids. They didn't look like they were having any less fun due to a "stuffy" atmosphere.

True the BC is geared toward a beachouse effect, but the YC certainly is not a stiff-shirt type of place. I'd feel that you'd be happy at either place. For sheer pick of water/BW views, I think the YC is much better off in that respect than BC, plus you know you're going to get a balcony no matter what.

Even though I have never experienced them, I have heard that you can really end up with some clunker views at BC.

We picked YC over BC and our daughters are 12 and 14. I think it is a personal preference, some people enjoy one over the other just as the do with the GF, Poly, Contemp, etc.

I recently returned from YC concierge. The concierge CM said that they split their time between the two resorts (in other words they work at both resorts, not just one or the other). She said that the YC has a lot more adults/business travelers and the BC has more families. I didn't think the YC was stuffy at all, so I wouldn't worry about that, but the BC might be most "kid friendly."

Thanks ead79
I think the BC is more my families style:D We enjoy being around other families when we're at Disney! It just seems to be more the spirit of Disney to me. I don't get that same feeling around business suits :p Thank you all for helping me convince my DH, I think he's almost there:jester:

Tracy

We love both!!!! :) I do not find either one stuffy!! They are both wonderful!! We just got back from Y concierge and it was very classy but not stuffy!! My Dd loved going to the lounge in her robe to get breakfest!! :)

Gottalovedisney,

I have not stayed at YC/BC although we did eat at the character breakfast at Cape May and use the Sandcastle club. It seems to be a very kid friendly resort.

We did stay one week at the BWI and found it to be very kid friendly. All the CM's were very kind and welcoming to our children. On our first day there our kids were given Disney beanie baby animals by two CM's who announced "this is your first Disney magical moment". Our housekeeper did very cute things everyday with their stuffed animals. The lifeguards learned their names and greeted them by name each day. Also the life guards gave DD a splash ball to play with and keep. The CM's in the lobby were very friendly, one made balloon animals and when DD went to the desk to ask a question she was treated like an important guest.

So while the BC is a fine resort too, I wouldn't rule out the BWI.
vicb

Well, I can tell you that we are at YC right now and I would definitely pick BC over YC.

We stayed at BC last year and while the resort was beautiful, if was VERY kid friendly. All of the cm's spoke to us and it just felt "cheerful". We were booked for BC this trip, but at check in we asked to extend our stay one night and had to switch to YC to get the extra night.

Here at YC, it is still beautiful, but it *is* stuffier. The lobby is dark and refined, where the BC is bright and open. The cm's are a little more reserved and I am definitely seeing more adults than kids here.

One other thing, at BC if we had a problem with anything, it was handled immediately. Here, we have had trouble with our mini bar and reported it Sunday. They JUST fixed it today and that was after three phone calls. (the mb wasn't cooling at all AND the lock didn't work...not a good thing with a three year old in the room!).

Basically the rooms are identical...BC has seashells, YC has boats. It is only the lobby and other common areas that I feel a little sad that we aren't at BC. :( I guess part of it does come down to personal preference. I can say confidently that next year's trip will be at BC! :)

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I was able to convince my DH the BC is definetly the right place for our family. I emailed my DU agent to have her switch our ressie and luckily it was available for our dates!:bounce: :Pinkbounc I'm SO excited!!!! I even got my DH to agree to a concierge water view:jester: Now I just have to wait untill October:(

Thank you again to everyone who responded. You helped make a tough decision much easier. You guys are great:p

Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter