YC/BC, Poly, or Cont./BLT

DarkwingDad

DIS Veteran
We are going in 2013 and taking a family that hasn't ever been to WDW....I know crazy right!?! Feedback and input on each is appreciated. FYI...we have 4(2 adults and 11yr old boy & 14yr old girl), and they have 3(2 adults and 1-17yr old girl). Thinking fall break...October.

We love the Poly, and the monorail is such a big plus. That being said, with the ages of the kids, I think the BC/YC might be a better option. Being able to walk to 2 parks (which will probably be the faves with that age group) would be great as well.

Thank you! We were really set on poly but decided to keep an open mind about cont./blt and yc/bc.....again any input is Appreciated!

My choice would be the Poly. We had a great stay at the BC and loved being within walking distance to Epcot and DHS, but the Poly won us over with the theme, larger room, being on the monorail, the pool, and having the beach for watching the fireworks. We choose our resort by the theme/decor rather than ease of transportation and we love the MK area, so a MK resort will always win out for us over an Epcot resort. With that said, I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose :goodvibes.

Having 3 kids in that teen age range I can think of at least 3 good reasons why YC/BC would be a great fit for your group.

First off you are within walking distance (5 plus minutes) to the international gate in Epcot, which is located between the countries of England and France. You are also a short boat ride away from Hollywood Studios. Both of these parks are teen favorites and I think you'll have more peace of mind if they decide to split up and explore the parks with out you. Teens at this age sometimes ask for more "off the family leash" time and having those two parks right there makes that much easier.

When going to AK or MK it's just a short bus ride away so that is just as accessible as though you were staying at any other resort.

The second reason would be the pool (Storm Along Bay or SAB) at the BC/YC. If you look at the layout on Google earth or even Robo's map http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=45719955&postcount=2 You will see there are lots of places that teens and adults can hang out and enjoy, like the lazy river for example. Storm Along Bay also has a long slide which older kids seem to prefer. SAB is not at all like those concrete ponds you find at other resorts.

Another reason is the access to all of the dining options at places like the Boardwalk or the countries in EPCOT.

If you stay at a MK area resort you'll have easy access to that park but if you stay at YC/BC you have easy access to two parks and the boardwalk area, more easily accessible dining options and a killer pool.

This is why my family decided to try the Beach Club with our teens.

A great place for comprehensive information about the Beach and Yacht clubs is located here. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2970473 This is a very welcoming group and it's where I found the best information to help make my decision. Feel free to join in the discussion with your questions about the resort. Be sure to read page one of the above thread link as it will answer MANY of your questions.

Good luck with your planning!

~NM

The first time we stayed at the BC our kids were age 16, 13 and 11. Everyone loved it and we stayed there many times since. It is a given that the kids will love it. But even more importantly, the adults would really enjoy BC/YC, too. The Boardwalk is a wonderful place for adults to relax and enjoy something besides the parks. And our kids never minded not being right next to the Magic Kingdom because there was always plenty of time for that park, too.

H and I just came back from the Contemporary, and I could not recommend it to anyone. If you want to go to MK only, it's good for the monorail, but that's about it. Bus service is terrible to the other parks, you have to stop at multiple places on the way, and I really don't think the food options are good for teens, either. The pool is nothing to write home about, either. General service at the hotel was awful. Not worth the money we paid.

If you insist on the monorail, I'd choose the Polynesian, but it is a spread out resort. It has an awesome pool, and I think the food options are better, too. Don't do the luau!

I think the Boardwalk would be fun for teens. We took the boat to Epcot one night, and it was like the French Quarter on the Boardwalk.

I agree that the proximity of Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club to Epcot and Hollywood Studios would be a better choice for your teens.

In addition to the great reasons listed for YC/BC October will have the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot which offers great food options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter