• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

This week has been so surreal to witness. A week ago, I started madly watching dining reservations for nervous travelers to cancel and for me to switch some things around. Now I'm sitting here feeling crushed that we're in this waiting period. We had a Disney cruise cancelled due to a hurricane back in 2016 and this is like watching that in slow motion. Fingers crossed that this social isolation works as we all hope!

My only hope is that with virtually the entire country beginning to shut down that hopefully the virus starts to slow it’s progression over the next month and there are less cases around the country by the time May rolls around. Hopefully in a month the country will be in a better place than we are now. I will be making my FastPasses+ selections this morning as I mentioned earlier but not feeling very optimistic about the possibly of actually going on the trip.

I am trying to be upbeat and hope my mid May trip will still happen. We are not cancelling until forced to by Disney. If there is an extended closing, we will reschedule for the end of August or the beginning of September and hope for no hurricanes. What I really wished last night to my hubby was that Disney would take this opportunity to do the mini rehab on Big Thunder early so it could re-open for the trip in May(if parks are open of course). He burst my bubble by pointing out that they are probably using an outside contractor who most likely couldnt move up a job by 2 months. I don't know if the closure also means all the construction, painting and maintenance comes to a halt or if that can continue,

I am staying hopeful for my May trip too :goodvibes Just booked my fast passes yesterday. If this trip gets cancelled I'm trying for June. We'll see, haven't activated my AP yet so that's a plus. I feel so bad for all the people who have their trips cancelled. Hope it all works out and you are able to reschedule and get points back etc.❤

Here’s hoping they move BTMR refurbishment to start Monday! Though, I hope they don’t start spaceship earth early, but it’s probably be better if they did.

Sad times we’re living in. Stay safe everyone and hope for the best.

I really feel for everyone that has to cancel. It's a tough and scary situation though.

As of now we are going to be hopeful and optimistic with our May plans, but if we can't go and it's for the good of everyone, then so be it. Disney will be there on the other side waiting for all of us once this is over :)

I really feel for everyone that has to cancel. It's a tough and scary situation though.

As of now we are going to be hopeful and optimistic with our May plans, but if we can't go and it's for the good of everyone, then so be it. Disney will be there on the other side waiting for all of us once this is over :)

This is exactly what we are planning as of right now too.

I rented points for our May trip so I'm just staying hopeful. We did buy insurance (thank goodness) but I really just want to go, dang it. :tiptoe:

We are on rented points too... that's the only thing I am worrying about. Although over on the TPAS Coronavirus thread people are reporting that there might be some flexibility...

For now I am trying to stay optimistic for my birthday trip 5/7-5/11. I am also supposed to be going to Italy in June.. both of these trips for my 40th and both with non-refundable components. What are the odds, haha. But what can you do... there is no way anyone could have predicted all this. With the parks (not to mention everything else in my hometown) shutting down now, I am hoping that we get over the worst of this now and by May it is smooth sailing!

One thing that also cheers me up is that in the event we have to cancel or reschedule, I told my kids we would plan an even BETTER trip. More time to save = a longer stay, maybe a hotel upgrade... :) Disney isn't going anywhere so as disappointing as it might be to not actually be there ON my birthday, I know we will find a way to turn this into a positive.

When I booked this trip a year ago, there were several factors that I knew might possibly make me have to cancel:
I might lose my job and not be able to afford it
My older son might not get the time off from work
My younger son had the possibility of having a final on our arrival day

I was so grateful that none of the above happened and so far we are good to go...never imagined in a million years the possibility of a new virus potentially closing the parks...I guess as much as I am a planner one can never plan for every contingency. Still have our fingers crossed for going in May. If not there's always next May.

When I booked this trip a year ago, there were several factors that I knew might possibly make me have to cancel:
I might lose my job and not be able to afford it
My older son might not get the time off from work
My younger son had the possibility of having a final on our arrival day

I was so grateful that none of the above happened and so far we are good to go...never imagined in a million years the possibility of a new virus potentially closing the parks...I guess as much as I am a planner one can never plan for every contingency. Still have our fingers crossed for going in May. If not there's always next May.
Strange things are happening. I hope we never have another virus like this again in our life.

With schools shutting down, sporting events, concerts, kids' performances, we have to still have something to hope for and be positive about. I'm praying for WDW to do everything it can while it's closed to make sure our families are all healthy and happy to enjoy when it is our turn to go. Planning gives me something to do with my time and craziness.

With schools shutting down, sporting events, concerts, kids' performances, we have to still have something to hope for and be positive about. I'm praying for WDW to do everything it can while it's closed to make sure our families are all healthy and happy to enjoy when it is our turn to go. Planning gives me something to do with my time and craziness.
Actually it was planning for this trip that helped me survive my most challenging year professionally in a 25 year career. Those trials are behind me and I'm looking to celebrate hopefully this May but maybe next.

What’s the weather like at the end of May? How hot is it and how much rain is there? I wanted to go in March due to the weather but I’m forced to reschedule now.

I’ve been trying not to get worried about all of this, but it’s hitting pretty close to home for me. My younger brothers roommate tested positive. Hes one of 14 in Rhode Island. My brother is self quarantined, he isn’t showing any symptoms which is good news but it’s a little terrifying, my mother is a worried mess she’s been with him almost everyday for the past week.
everyone stay safe!!!

I’ve been trying not to get worried about all of this, but it’s hitting pretty close to home for me. My younger brothers roommate tested positive. Hes one of 14 in Rhode Island. My brother is self quarantined, he isn’t showing any symptoms which is good news but it’s a little terrifying, my mother is a worried mess she’s been with him almost everyday for the past week.
everyone stay safe!!!

Sending well wishes (from this fellow Rhode Islander). I hope that both your brother and mom don’t catch it.

geez guys, what the heck! When I started this thread in Feb 2019 (oh my gosh) I never even imagined we wouldn't be going. Then some unthinkable stuff happened and we had to postpone to next year.
I've been quietly still checking in to see how fast passes were going for everyone and it seemed so great and now this happens. :(

I sure hope you guys get to go. I feel so bad that all the excitement is now tempered by this.

Fingers crossed for all of you (the whole planet quite frankly) that we see the light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter