Yard/Garage Sale Pricing Help

redsaid

Earning My Ears
I am going to have a yard sale on June 5th. I have SO much stuff to get rid of. I think with books/clothes I am ok with pricing. My questions though are furniture related. For reference we are in northern NJ.

I am going to have multiple dressers all in at least ok condition. Some are missing knobs/handles. Is it worth it to get some? If you were selling a dresser how much would you ask?

We have a dining room set also. Table, 6 chairs, hutch & another buffet piece. Older set & I think there is some damage to a few chair legs & a heat mark on the table top. Fair price?

Little Tykes red&yellow buggy still in the box (we just never even opened it).

Hanging stained glass light with white glass bulb (was the dining room fixture). In good condition (pretty good size not small)

I would like these things to sell but I would like to make some money at this sale as well. I am wondering what you feel fair prices are?

Finally ~ I have a lot of 'crocks' (my mother used to collect). Do you think it is worth going some place and trying to have someone see if they are worth money or just pick a price and sell them?

Obviously, I need help :confused: any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I do more buying than selling at yard sales, but I would be looking for about $10 on the dressers. Maybe $5 if they really needed work.

The dining room set will be rough to get rid of unless there is something special about it. If it were antique, unusual, or a nice wood like walnut it might do well. Otherwise, I would suspect it will be hard to sell at any price.

I'd be tempted to try to return the unopened Little Tykes car if they are still being sold. I know after my mother died, we found a couple of unopened tool sets. Returned them to Sears. Happened to have the receipt in the bag. It was about three years old and they didn't bat an eye. They gave me a gift card for the full amount.

Good luck.

Sheila

I'd research the crocks before I just sold them for next to nothing. You can look for similar ones on ebay or go to the library and check out books that list collectibles. Perhaps there's a reputable collectibles store in your area where you could take some of the crocks for valuation.

As for the furniture I'd clean it up as much as possible with polish/cleaner, perhaps add inexpensive knobs. I got $20 for an entertainment center yesterday and $25 each for good living room tables. We made $300 total and were thrilled just to clear out space in the basement. The $300 is mad money for our trip next week.

If you can, I would invest in a few cheap knobs from Home Depot and put them on yourselves. It might make a difference in them selling. It just an illusion, I know, but if you have to do something to it yourself, alot of people will walk on by.

Julia

Thank you for the replies, i appreciate them.

Unfortunatley I have a lot of furniture that needs to go.

The little tykes was from etoys when they were going out of business so i can't return it.

thanks again

If its brand new and in the original box you might start with half of what you paid and if someone offers you less you can decide to take it or not. If you're have a sale for two days you can always lower the price the second day.

I'd start the dressers on the higher side -- you can always negotiate down. We donated one to a sale (co-worker of DH's sick w/cancer -trying to raise some $ to help) and it sold for $45!! Dressers are expensive new and if they are in good shape, I'd at least be in the 20's.

I agree w/ the other posters -- do an ebay search on the crocks...

Good luck! I'm having a sale next weekend.

Remember though-- a yard sale isn't ebay. I too hold one sale every few years. But I frequent them all the time!!! If you want high end dollar then invest the time to sell the items on ebay. Otherwise remember us buyers are coming to a yard sale for a true bargain. Each dresser that is in good shape I'd start at $25-30 w/ maybe a little wiggle room for the hagglers. If they are more on the rough side I'd still go $15. Dressers go fast. The dining set will go, but it's gonna have to be marked to go. I sold a 4 chair small table set for $35 2 yrs ago. Had it started at $50, then down to $40, let it go for $35 because in the end I really wanted it gone. The Little Tykes coupe will go--- brand new-- I'd say $15 ish.

We always go 50% off the last 2 hrs. I've never had any big items left at the end of the day. Also, everything that is put out, is going whether it sells or not. The no being brought back in rule!! So something was always better than nothing.

Originally posted by kilee

We always go 50% off the last 2 hrs. I've never had any big items left at the end of the day. Also, everything that is put out, is going whether it sells or not. The no being brought back in rule!! So something was always better than nothing.

This stuff is not coming back in. Most of the stuff is duplicates. I have a dining room set in my house this one is in the garage.

The dressers seem to multiply in my house as well.

I like the 50% off idea for the end of the day. The rest is either going to a charity if I can find one to pick up or big garbage pick up is that next wednesday (planned that one).

Thanks again for all the help!
:sunny:

We put a couple of lamps and two rickety little tables at the curb after our sale and put "Free" on them. They were gone by dark. The rest of the clothes and small stuff we took the a local outreach center for them to sell at their store. Nothing came back inside. It was great. I can actually walk around in the basement and garage now.

Good luck on your sale. I hope you have fair weather and make a fair profit!::yes:: :wave:

I would list the Little Tikes car on ebay. It's still in the box so would be easy to ship! Start it at $15 and see where it goes.

I too got a little carried away when etoys went out of business and thursday am selling a Little Tikes Snacks and Snocones cart. (It's not in the box anymore, but not put together either.)

The other stuff, I think is good advice. I have a couch that I am thinking of offering to PAY someone else to take away at my sale! I really want it out of my garage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter