Yacht club or SSR...pool question

taylor1293

Do you want to build a snowman?
I have the Yacht club booked for August. We are doing 3 night stay, arriving early on a Thursday to make that day mostly a pool day.

I haven't stayed at the YC or BC yet, so we have yet to experience Stormalong Bay. I was thinking this would be the perfect place for a pool day. However, do they only have the one slide? I couldn't tell if there was another, smaller one.

This is why I'm asking. When we went to POFQ in Feb my 6 yr old fell in love with the slide. That's all she cared about at the pool...the slide!

Anyway, I saw pictures of the SSR pool and thought maybe that would be better.

So, if anyone has stayed at both, I'd love your opinion.

there is a small slide, as well. SAB is amazing. we all loved it (kids 4, 2, 2). I even went on the big slide and I'm a big chicken. the big was was wonderful, but the small one was appreciated by my kids.

LOL, I'm a big chicken too, especially of the enclosed slides!

Thanks, do you happen to know where I could find a picture of the smaller slide?

there is a small slide, as well. SAB is amazing. we all loved it (kids 4, 2, 2). I even went on the big slide and I'm a big chicken. the big was was wonderful, but the small one was appreciated by my kids.

The enclosed slide burned my back! And it pours water on your face twice--I didn't like it for those reasons. And the line can be LONG to get on the slide. The small slide is small. It's a little kid slide. No fun for kids over 4. My kids liked the AKL slide better. I wasn't that impressed with SAB--it is too spread out to keep an eye on your kids. (you mentioned 6 yr old). And to get on the big slide, you have to get out of the pool and cross a walkway to get to the steps of the slide. I didn't feel comfortable letting my 8yr old go alone, because I couldn't stay in the pool and keep an eye on her-so eithier me or DH had to go down the slide with them. I liked AKL that we could stay in the pool and see them go down the slide.

Thanks! I had considered AKL, but not availability.

My other dd is 13, so I would be okay with her going to the slide alone. However, I am concerned about SAB being so spread out.

The enclosed slide burned my back! And it pours water on your face twice--I didn't like it for those reasons. And the line can be LONG to get on the slide. The small slide is small. It's a little kid slide. No fun for kids over 4. My kids liked the AKL slide better. I wasn't that impressed with SAB--it is too spread out to keep an eye on your kids. (you mentioned 6 yr old). And to get on the big slide, you have to get out of the pool and cross a walkway to get to the steps of the slide. I didn't feel comfortable letting my 8yr old go alone, because I couldn't stay in the pool and keep an eye on her-so eithier me or DH had to go down the slide with them. I liked AKL that we could stay in the pool and see them go down the slide.

I stayed at BC on my last trip (in August) and my sister stayed at SSR. While we LOVE SAB, it is a very hot pool and in August, it is not very refreshing. The water is about the same temp as the air and the lifeguard told me that the pool can't be cooled. However, apparently, since the pools are newer at SSR, my sister said that they are cooled and in fact were refreshingly cool. It also doesn't help that SAB is very croweded, with alot of hot bodies, warming the water. We found ourselves swimming in the quieter pool of the BCV. This was a little bit cooler.

I've stayed at both. The pool at SSR is a great pool, but SAB is just the best and no resort pool is better. Here are the good things about SSR: zero entry, which is good for kids, a small water slide, a big water slide, good hot tubs off to the side, a real nice sprinkler area. In other words, if you weren't comparing the two, SSR has a very nice pool. But SAB is the absolute best pool - the slide is great, the sandy bottom is really nice and the lazy river part is relaxing and fun. My pick is SAB no contest.

I wonder if I missed the lazy river--is it not a very long one? What I thought was the lazy river was near the sinking sands just under the bridge. Does it go in a small circle? Oh and AKL has zero entry pool.

FYI regarding the lazy river. It is quite deep (8 foot I think???) - only pointing this out because I only learned of the depth after reading it on the Dis. May not be a concern for the OP just wanted to point it out.

SAB is wonderful at night!! We could see the higher fireworks from Illuminations. And with the Epcot being so close to BC, you can just stroll over to watch Illuminations.

I agree with a previous poster about the food court - that is the only thing I didn't care for at BC.

Enjoy!!

Oh I forgot about the food court--we didn't like it eithier. But Beaches and Cream was good.

We never got in to Beaches & Cream. It was always an hour wait or so - we tried mid-afternoon and evening. Just bad timing I suppose.

We did go to Hurricane Hannah's one afternoon, but the line was very long and it took a while to get your food (it was blistering hot that day so maybe it just seemed like forever!)

Thanks for replying everyone!

I saw a picture of the small slide at SAB and it's really too small, but the big one is too big for my youngest. Also, I wouldn't see my oldest most of the time because she wouldn't want to play in the little kids area. So....

I ended up changing my reservation to the WL, lol. It wasn't showing earlier as having AP rate availablity but today it did. They have a perfect size slide and I'll be able to see both kids at the same time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter