YA anyone?

YA is my absolute favorite! Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Divergent, Matched, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, anything by Lauren Oliver... I'm always looking for something new to devour!

Just a note for all you YA lovers... Don't let anyone ever tell you that your choices are "dumbed down" or that you need to "graduate" to real books.

I read a study not that long ago that says that the vast majority of YA literature is written at about a 10th grade reading level, while most genre adult fiction is written at an average 5th grade reading level. So if you read YA, you're actually reading the "more advanced" stuff.

Any other adults that read mostly YA books? I just find that adult books tend to rely too heavily on sex and language as plot points. Some of my favorites are obvious ones like Twilight and The Hunger Games, but my absolute favorite is the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I also love the Divergent series by Veronica Roth.

I've read all of these as well! I just picked up the fourth book in the Mortal Instrument series and it's actually sitting by my laptop as I type. Can't wait to start it!
I finished Divergent yesterday and it was very good! I actually think I liked the character Tris a teeny tiny bit better than Katniss from the Hunger Games.

I read both adult and YA, but I have to admit, many of my favorites are from YA! Maybe that means I'm immature. :)

Just a note for all you YA lovers... Don't let anyone ever tell you that your choices are "dumbed down" or that you need to "graduate" to real books.

I read a study not that long ago that says that the vast majority of YA literature is written at about a 10th grade reading level, while most genre adult fiction is written at an average 5th grade reading level. So if you read YA, you're actually reading the "more advanced" stuff.

interesting!!!:):goodvibes

I loved The Hunger Games, but lost interest less than halfway through Catching Fire.

I like Carl Hiaasen's books, the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series, the Narnia series, Neil Gaiman's YA books, and, of course, Harry Potter.

I LOVE YA, especially paranormal YA!
Right now my favorite author is an indie writer named Addison Moore. Her Celestra series is just yummy! It is very teen and a little angsty, but I couldn't put them down, and read the entire series in a week. House was a mess, but I was addicted!

I also love a lot of cheap e-books on Amazon, but they can be hit or miss! I love indie authors, but the lack of proper editing can drive me crazy! Or in one case, the author chose to throw in characters with heavy accents...and decided to spell out the pronunciations of everything. I didn't get half of what was going on!

Also loved that haven't been mentioned yet:
Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, (fairies)
UnEarthly by Cynthia Hand (angels)
Uglies-Pretties-Specials by Scott Westerfield, (dystopian)
Shadow Falls series by C.C. Hunter (Can't wait for the 4th one in the fall!!) (all manner of paranormal teenagers)

I LOVE YA, especially paranormal YA!
Right now my favorite author is an indie writer named Addison Moore. Her Celestra series is just yummy! It is very teen and a little angsty, but I couldn't put them down, and read the entire series in a week. House was a mess, but I was addicted!

I also love a lot of cheap e-books on Amazon, but they can be hit or miss! I love indie authors, but the lack of proper editing can drive me crazy! Or in one case, the author chose to throw in characters with heavy accents...and decided to spell out the pronunciations of everything. I didn't get half of what was going on!

Also loved that haven't been mentioned yet:
Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, (fairies)
UnEarthly by Cynthia Hand (angels)
Uglies-Pretties-Specials by Scott Westerfield, (dystopian)
Shadow Falls series by C.C. Hunter (Can't wait for the 4th one in the fall!!) (all manner of paranormal teenagers)

I LOVE the Uglies series! It's really good, but I thoroughly enjoy dystopian future kind of books.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Especially for the dystopia genre?

I LOVE the Uglies series! It's really good, but I thoroughly enjoy dystopian future kind of books.

A GREAT YA dytopian series is The Declaration trilogy by Gemma Malley.

A very teen one is Bumped and the followup, Thumped by Megan McCafferty. It is very similar to Uglies in making up its own slang. Very light read, but entertaining.

iheartdisney said:
A GREAT YA dytopian series is The Declaration trilogy by Gemma Malley.

A very teen one is Bumped and the followup, Thumped by Megan McCafferty. It is very similar to Uglies in making up its own slang. Very light read, but entertaining.

Ooh, I will have to look those up! I need to make my way to a Barnes and Noble, I bought a nook and they give you a free hour of reading anything a day with it. It used to be super awesome when I lived 5 minute walk away, but not so much anymore!

Maybe amazon has them for cheap though....

If you liked Uglies, you'll also like anything else Scott Westerfield has written. I have yet to pick up a book of his and be disappointed.

There are SO many dystopian YAs out there right now, some say the market is glutted with them, but I wouldn't say that as I love them too!

My favorites (a lot of these were mentioned above):

(These are more like Uglies, with a "new" society of the future):
Lauren Oliver's Delirium and Pandemonium
Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series
Veronica Roth's Divergent series
Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien
Feed by M.T. Anderson
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Cinder by Marissa Meyer

These are apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic (my personal favorite!):
Ashfall by Mike Mullin
Ashes by Ilsa Bick
Susan Beth Pfeffer's The Last Survivors series

Someone already mentioned Matched. I'm reading the 2nd book, Crossed right now.

I also like the House of Night series

If you liked Uglies, you'll also like anything else Scott Westerfield has written. I have yet to pick up a book of his and be disappointed.

Agreed! I love his books.:thumbsup2

There are SO many dystopian YAs out there right now, some say the market is glutted with them, but I wouldn't say that as I love them too!

My favorites (a lot of these were mentioned above):

(These are more like Uglies, with a "new" society of the future):
Lauren Oliver's Delirium and Pandemonium
Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series
Veronica Roth's Divergent series
Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien
Feed by M.T. Anderson
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Cinder by Marissa Meyer

These are apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic (my personal favorite!):
Ashfall by Mike Mullin
Ashes by Ilsa Bick
Susan Beth Pfeffer's The Last Survivors series

That's kinda my problem. Once I pick up a book, I HAVE to finish it. I have never not finished a book, and want to keep that record. ;) So I really don't want to start one that is either a rip off of something else, or horrible. I'd rather spend my time on something good! :laughing:

I almost forgot, I love the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series by Rachelle Mead. Something about the Moroi/Strigoi/Dhampir dynamic is so intriguing.

I liked the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. Alt history/steampunk. I also liked the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, and the followup, Heroes of Olympus.

One reason I read YA, is that I am REALLY not into vampires or zombies, and for a while, it seemed like that's all there was in sci-fi. I started looking in the YA section to get away from it.

I love YA! The Mortal Insturments are some of my favorites along with her other series Infernal Devices! YAY! :)

I also enjoyed The Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness, Beautiful Chaos). The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa series is awesome too!

Oh my it goes on:
Hush, Hush series Becca Fitzpatrick
Fallen Series Lauren Kate
House of Night Series P.C. Cast

I love reading!! :lmao:

Take a look at any and all of the Richelle Meade series - The Vampire Academy series (the Bloodline series is a spin off of the VA ones), the Georgina Kincaid series and the Dark Swan series. Loved them all.

I also like the Hunger Games series, Twilight, Harry Potter, the House of Night series and The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is really good too.

I love YA books! I loved the Hunger Games series and the series by Jenny Han (The Summer I turned Pretty, It's not Summer without you, and We'll Always Have Summer) so good! Right now I am reading the last in the Secrets of My Hollywood Life series called There's No Place Like Home. I love Lauren Oliver and just finished Before I fall which was amazing and have Delirium that I need to read. So many books so little time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter