XPost- Bridgeport-Port Jefferson Ferry/Islip

Thanks everyone! We have a reservation- for the car and driver. They said we pay for passengers once we're on the ferry. So, the girls and I walk on as soon as we're allowed and DH waits in line and drives on. Then he can go and pay for the rest of us? I'm so excited about our trip! I have to get all of our reservation/confirmation #s in one place and organize our schedule and then I should be all set.

Goofygirl

I also need to order our photopass CD and get Pirate and Princess party "clues" for the girls to open en route. The last will be the printable map for the pirate and princess party princess: pirate: Any budget friendly ideas for clues or costumes (accessories really)?

Goofygirl

we booked out of islip too because of the airfare savings-we saved over $1000+ for our april break flights & we got nonstops at civil times. we live in danbury, ct & usually fly out of bradley too. We have an 11:15 am flight on a Friday.

We did a dry run to see if there was any construction going down, see the airport & how everything was set up. It took us 1 hr. 45 min with moderate to heavy traffic & construction on the Throggs Neck Bridge. So we figure we will budget 2 hours to get there. Leave at 7am to get there by 9am- 2 hours ahead of our flight. If it takes a little longer, we'll still be ok. The airport is really nice, much smaller than Bradley & very easy to navigate. The long term parking is 11.50 a day & not that far, even without a shuttle. The short term parking is 12.50 a day & is a little closer to the terminal. Curbside checkin is available, but all members of your party must show id to check bags. If your husband drops you off & parks the car, he will need to come back to check his bags. Security lines looked liked they moved very smoothly.

To calm your fears why don't you do a weekend excursion/dry run on the ferry with your family before the trip. It could be fun. Visit Port. Jeff on the way home. It's an adorable little town. You can get a sense of where you are going, the roads will be familiar & you can get a general idea of timing. The Friday afternoon ferrys are almost as busy as the weekend ones. Yes, it will cost you a ferry trip back & forth, but with the money you are saving on air & the peace of mind you'll get knowing where you are going may be well worth it!

Good luck!

Did you do a dry run on a weekday? Or a weekend?

If it was the weekend don't forget to add in rush hour traffic.

I grew up in Trumbull & have driven over the Merritt Parkway at 6:30 am & seen back up's on the Trumbull/Fairfield line at that time.

BTW, we are flying out of Westchester in August for an 8am flight. I am staying at my parents in Trumbull (I live next door, as in town to the OP) so it's a 35 min drive there.

We are leaving at 5:45 just to be safe & I know we won't have any traffic at that time & will be at the airport by 6:30-6:40. Yawn..

Originally Posted by Goofygirl17
luvmarypoppins- The directions they gave me are:
rt 112 to County rt 83 to the LIE (495) toward NY, exit 57 Veteran's Hwy (south) and the airport entrance is on the left.

Another one: 112 get off at 347 east to county rt 83 to sunrise hwy to vets hwy. (Is sunrise highway the LIE?)

Bren's Mom- that's what I got from mapquest too.

5 for WDW- That's great advice- Thanks! I hadn't thought of that since I've never been on a big ferry!

Thanks everyone! Please feel free to add any and all advice!

Goofygirl

112 to 83 to the LIE is your best bet. During 5pm rush hour I can make it from the LIE and 83 (I work there) to my house in about 15 minutes. Avoid 347 at all costs. I travel that route frequently and the traffic lights are horrendeous.
i was the person who suggested taking 83 straight down to sunrise then Vets to the airport -that's 'cause I hate the LIE and i don't like where it takes you in relation to the airport - but either way,
112 is one of the worst roads ever conceived and I would get off of it as soon as you possibly can.
112 to 347 EAST to 83 is a very quick hop - not filled with lights like heading West - i wouldn't stay on 112 all the way to 83 - it's only one lane and it's right at the time schools are letting out.
good luck with whatever you decide.:wizard:

Islip is the best airport and I do whatever I can to go out of there! I normally only show up about 45 minutes ahead of time (although I don't recommend it, lol) - there is usually no one on the security line, I can't imagine waiting more than 5-10 minutes there. You don't really need a shuttle once you park, you could just drop off your luggage and kids and hubby could park the car. Even the far spots are closer than the close spots at JFK!

There isn't much to do there though once you are there, so you don't want to be there for more than two hours if you can help it.

It sounds like you have plenty of time to get from the ferry to the airport, it's really not more than a 40 minute drive at most. The ferry is great and saves the chance of having major delays on the bridges, you can never plan enough time for that :eek:

I haven't taken the Port Jeff Ferry but I take the Orient ferry all the time. Can you actually stay in the car on that ferry? You definitely can't on Orient and I would not recommend it at any rate, there have been a few accidents. :sad2: Getting a table is awesome, that way you can play cards or something to keep busy in the trip across. So much more relaxing than driving.

Thanks LSchrow! I wasn't being critical of anyone so I hope I didn't sound that way. I appreciate all of the advice I've gotten. I think it's great that everyone is helping a complete stranger plan a trip to Disney :) Part of my problem is that I have to work a half day (I'm really not supposed to leave early but I am anyway) and that DD has anxiety so we can't have too much down time either or she will get more and more anxious the longer we wait. So... I'm trying to weigh all of my options and make the best plan I can.

Thanks again!
Goofygirl

PS- I've also had trips that took a lot longer than planned- a 9 hour ride home from VA Beach took almost 14 :eek:
not at all :flower3:
half the fun of any trip is the planning anyway (i figure if i plan spend 2 weeks planning for each day on vacation, i won't have to think about anything else the entire year! :lmao: )
btw, you are going to love ISP. it is probably the most "civilized" airport i've ever used; we always end up chatting with ppl on the check-in line, in the waiting area, in the stores/eateries (this is long island, y'know: land of the "chatters" ;) ), with the TSAs, etc. it is difficult, if not impossible, to get lost, & everyone moves at a less harried pace (totally different than JFK, LGA, or any large airport), ppl will stop to help you if needed.......we're thrilled to have ISP so close, it feels like our vacation actually starts there:thumbsup2

just remember that if there is an accident on the Q-Bridge,long wharf, or any where in west haven your plan is going to be "out the window". i know there is still all that construction in new haven and you are leaving westbrook right in the middle of the day......than there is bridgeport....that is whole story by itself......my advise b/c i was on a fire department in the area and know quite a few state troppers...they all say LEAVE EARLY FROM WESTBROOK AND SPEND TIME IN MILFORD AT THE MALL or TAKE THE EARLY FERRY AND SPEND EXTRA TIME IN PORT JEFF>>>just my opinion.

also i have left from tf green in ri three times and have payed less than 900 on southwest 3 seats and a lap .....r/t ........fyi providence is the easiest!!!!

I take the ferry once a week if not more, to go between home and college. You'll get to the ferry terminal, and they will put you in a lane. This is where you can get out and go wait in the walk on line to get a table. Your husband can then go over to the bursars window and check in. They have a snack stand on board, with pretzels and french fries, hot dogs, yogurt, bagels, cereal...a ton of stuff. I like the pretzels :thumbsup2 . It takes an hour and 15 minutes to cross, and they have it down to a science. When there is approx 15 minutes left in the crossing, they will tell you to go down into your car. The boat will dock, you'll drive off, and be in port jeff. Theres signs with directions as to where the roads are. Its really pretty easy!

Hope that helped you a little :)

lisa on LI- Thanks for the directions!

Thanks Queenie- I wouldn't stay in the car even if they let me- I would get major seasick:sick: I'm hoping we get a table so the kids can play, draw, etc.

LSchrow- It sounds like a great litte airport. I look forward to it after going through Bradley and MCO!

macfinn- I'm going to listen to the traffic report in the morning and check it online from work so if there is a problem we should be able to leave earlier. Also, I checked Hartford and Providence first. Hartford was $255 per person one way and Providence was $244 per person one way. It never went down and there were no dings except for midweek which doesn't help since we have to follow the spring break schedule for the kids. Thanks for the advice about traffic.

Fraggle551- Thanks! Sounds like a much better way to spend 1.5 hours than on the highway praying for no traffic or delays!!

Goofygirl

GG17:

Glad to help. Another thought-
You may want to send in a note/advise/call-ahead to the school on your way to pick the kids up. If you let them know you'll be picking them up at a certain time, they will more than likely make sure the kids are ready and waiting for you. You sure don't want to arrive at the school to find out one of your kids needs to change out of their gym clothes!:scared1:

I defnitely have to send a note and then I'll probably still have to wait in the office while they call the kids. I'm going to leave as early as I can from work (without getting in trouble) so I might be able to get to the school a little early.

Thanks again
Goofygirl

monorailsilver~ yes, we did our dry during the week at the approx time we would be going. I agree, the weekends are different indeed from weekday rush hour traffic! We are shooting to arrive 2 hrs. before, but based on what we saw & have read in this thread, even if we arrive an hour before I think we'll be fine going through security. The hardest part for us will be getting 3 teens up & out the door by 7am!! :)

Goofygirl17- if your school is anything like our old elementary school, it will take forever to get the kids to the office! lol! Put in your note that you are on a tight schedule due to your flights, etc & you would like your kids waiting in the office by a specified time for pickup. I agree with the other posters. It really helps!! 10 days to go! yay!

Dianthus- Hooray only 10 Days :cool1: :cool1:

I had to drive through the New Haven construction traffic this morning and it wasn't bad at all (around 8:00) so I don't think it should be an issue at 11:30 next Friday.

Have a great trip!

Goofygirl

Dianthus- Are you all ready to go? I still need to cancel a rental car reservation (found one cheaper), order my photopass CD, make a hotel reservation for the night we arrive, and a bunch of other stuff! Guess I should make a complete list and get it done!

Goofygirl

i think I'm ready...:yay: :yay: :yay:

i ordered a bathing suit & I'm going through my summer clothes this evening to see if I need anything. Hotel, rental car, some dining ressies, photoshare etc.. all done. I did a general itinerary for each day based on the park hours. All I need to do is start packing, get my travel docs/stuff together & wait. lol!

i looked at the 10 day forecast & it looks like it's going to be in the low 80's!!!:goodvibes hopefully sunny!! i think we are as bad as my DD & her 2 friends. We want to go now!

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

Originally Posted by Goofygirl17
luvmarypoppins- The directions they gave me are:
rt 112 to County rt 83 to the LIE (495) toward NY, exit 57 Veteran's Hwy (south) and the airport entrance is on the left.

Another one: 112 get off at 347 east to county rt 83 to sunrise hwy to vets hwy. (Is sunrise highway the LIE?)

Bren's Mom- that's what I got from mapquest too.

5 for WDW- That's great advice- Thanks! I hadn't thought of that since I've never been on a big ferry!

Thanks everyone! Please feel free to add any and all advice!

Goofygirl

i was the person who suggested taking 83 straight down to sunrise then Vets to the airport -that's 'cause I hate the LIE and i don't like where it takes you in relation to the airport - but either way,
112 is one of the worst roads ever conceived and I would get off of it as soon as you possibly can.
112 to 347 EAST to 83 is a very quick hop - not filled with lights like heading West - i wouldn't stay on 112 all the way to 83 - it's only one lane and it's right at the time schools are letting out.
good luck with whatever you decide.:wizard:

Lisa, I agree with you. The only route I would take going from Port Jeff to the airport is taking 83 south (Nicolls Rd) to Sunrise Hwy (27 West) to Vets (454). Then the airport will be on the right side a few miles down. Route 112 is a nightmare (worked in that area for 15 years!) as is 347. If the OP took the LIE to exit 57, she's passing the airport by two exits and doubling back - way out of the way). The best exit from the LIE for the airport is 59 south. But that can be confusing for visitors as the road forks and changes names.

Good luck, OP and have fun!! We always fly out of Islip, it's a breeze!

Thanks Sunkat! I love hearing what a nice airport it is and that "it's a breeze"! That's what I need!

Only 9 days left! Yikes! I better get moving!
Goofygirl

So now that I feel pretty good about my schedule for making it to the airport I get an email saying I have a meeting from 12 to 1 on the day I leave. I was planning on leaving work at 10:30 and told my supervisor that about 2 months ago! I also reminded him today and he said not to say that to people because I'm not supposed to leave early. I was going to take 1/2 sick day. Now I guess I'll have to call in sick for the whole day! Guess I shouldn't have been honest in the first place.

I can't wait to leave!
Goofygirl

Not sure if this was mentioned already as I didn't read thru all the posts. If you are a member of AAA, I believe you can get a discount on your Ferry tickets. Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter