Xolair for allergies or asthma??? any experience??

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
My son went to the allergist yesterday. He had developed an allergy to foods, that we couldn't identify. Turns out there aren't many foods he is not allergic to. Out of the 120 pricks they did, he was allergic to all but a few. The allergist mentioned Xolair. It's a once a month injection that blocks ige responses. Has anyone here had any experience with it?

No experience with it but I am wondering how old your son is. Has he had blood testing done? While the blood testing isn't perfect, I found that it helps in tracking my dd's numbers as she gets older.

The Xolair website says it's recommended for kids 12 and older.

The FDA also just issued a warning that some young children are experiencing anaphalexic (sp?) reactions to this injection. I would be very leary of it!

He is 13. He carries and epipen. He is allergic to latex, so we have to check with the manufacturer if there is any latex in the packaging. (some injectible stoppers are made of latex rubber). The doc said it's been associated with cancer and anaphylaxis. He said the FDA now requires the patient to stay in the office for 2 hours after injection.

They did the skin tests on him. The allergens do cause an asthmatic reaction. They also said they would need to do blood work. Also, trying to get insurance to cover it might be tricky.

I just want to get as many facts as I can before we start him on it. I'd really like to talk to someone who is using it now.

My son was taking xolair shots twice a month for the past 6 months. He has asthma and has allergies to fire ants so severe that he went into anaphylatic shock from the prick test. She said it would take a while before we would know if the xolair was effective. After about 3 months he started to swell on the area where he got the shot and then he started getting viral infections at least twice a month. She has since taken him off of the xolair since the warning came out that even though you have been taking the shots for a while you can all of a sudden get anaphylaxis from it. I would be very careful taking it. My son is 10 but they felt that it was ok to start him on the xolair because of the severity of his allergies. If your child has that many allergies I would definetly be careful and do alot of research before letting him take it.

Thanks for posting. I think we will definately try all other treatments before we consider xolair.

I am 20 now and have been on it for over 3 years. I have very serve asthma and allergies to mold dust dogs and many others. Xolair has changed my life i am not as senstive to smoke and perfumes anymore. I never have a reaction. When i used to get allergy shots i have to repeat most of them for huge reactions. I get it every other week and only have to wait half an hour after getting it. I do have 2 epi pens though now. The first time i got it I had to wait 4 hours. If you have any other questions pm me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter