Xmas/New Year trip report - Day One!!!

maleficent_man

DIS Veteran
Okay folks - here goes for Day One! On the trip are myself (Nick) and Mum. If you have any questions/comments please feel free! I'll hopefully get some pics loaded over the next couple of days!

Wednesday 28 December
Up at 3.15....shattered doesn’t even begin to cover it. Only having three hours sleep isn’t the best way to start!! Had some coffee and got ready. Was really icy outside and my wiper blades decided they wanted to remain stuck to the window....nice! Drove down to Prestwick and arrived in good time. Left the car at Watson’s Ayr Park - took a while to check in but eventually got on the bus and over to check in. Was quick and hassle free - through to departures and grabbed some more coffee to keep myself awake.

Flight was busy - Mum managed to sleep for most of it and we arrived in a chilly Beauvais 15 mins early. Grabbed the bags and our tickets for the bus and off on the next leg of the journey. Mum slept again! We got dropped off at Porte Maillot and walked to the Metro. Along just a couple of stops to Charles De Gaulle Etoile and picked up our RER tickets. Within minutes we were on the familiar train to Disney - it might be a strange way to get to the parks but it worked really well for us.

We arrived in a chilly resort to see all the Christmas stalls set up in and around the entrance to the Disney Village - it was great to be back. A bus was waiting to take us to the Kyriad were we checked in quickly. They had a room ready for us and we left off our bags, sorted some stuff (including tidying the burst bag of crisps in my bag....) and got ready to plan our attack - lanyard on, Maleficent ears...on!! Got the shuttle to the parks and decided we would get something quick to eat before heading into the park as we were ahead of schedule. We couldn’t make it to lunch without a quick look in the shops though!! We went to the McDonalds for something fast and easy - they got my order wrong but it was so busy I couldn’t be bothered waiting - we could still eat it and it was simply something to fill us up!

We walked up the Disneyland park and made our way to our traditional entrance to the right hand side (by Salon Mickey). The joy of using my AP again.......we went into the park and had a look around Town Square where Santa had just come out to have his piccie taken. I was on the hunt for pins so we had a look in the Emporium. I got them in the China shop on the right of Main Street (Tink pin, Maleficent LE and Bonne Annee pin). We walked in and around Main Street for a little bit and back down it to Emporium and then City Hall where I made a booking for Plaza Gardens. We went straight up Main Street this time taking everything in and saw Eeyore, Baloo, Dum and Dee out. Had a look at the Info Board at Central Plaza and thought it might be an idea to see the Carollers - so off we went back down Main Street.....I was starting to think we may never leave it!! We watched the Carollers who were excellent and then grabbed a spot right at the start of the parade (which was strange as when we were here for Halloween/start of Nov it went the other way...!).

It was nice to see the parade again, especially with lots of real snow falling (it was so cold today....little did I know it would get worse!!). We watched the parade and then followed it to Central plaza where we then broke off. We went up the side of the Castle into Fantasyland and over to Belle’s Village. We watched Belle’s Musical Medley - it was stunning and I was to fall in love with this little show. There is just something really lovely about it being out in the open and the cast members involved were fab. I took lots of pics!

We went over and had a look at the menu in Toad Hall (more to do with the fact that it was indoors and had heating than a desire to really see the menu!!). We did come out and grab some crepes (not for the first time a CM asked if I worked at WDW - I have a WDW guest of honor name badge on my lanyard!). We saw the Beast out for his character meet and greet (and a queue for it as well....what a difference this makes!!). We looked around the shops in Fantasyland for some heat and Mum got a Mickey ear muff hat type thingy.....We went and did Pirates which was awesome as ever (as others have commented, the swinging pirate was obviously taking a Christmas break!!).

The park was looking stunning with all the snow everywhere. The icicles from the waterfall at the entrance to Adventure Isle where incredible. We headed over to Colonel Hathi’s which was nice and quiet and had a lovely pizza. We came out and had a short queue for Indy - it looked stunning at night with snow over the attraction and queue area - including the track! This was unreal in the cold of night.....I thought they would need a chisel to get us both out of our seats - it was hilarious though! We headed down to Fantasyland and grabbed a spot at the start of Fantillusion - Mickey was in place a few minutes before it started and you could see him over the fence - he was waving and dancing away!! Got lots of pics and vid....Maleficent was simply awesome! No transformations tonight though. We followed Maleficent for a bit and then stopped while the rest of the parade came through.

We then went back and did It’s a Small World - it wouldn’t be a trip to Disney without a go! We came out and headed down to Central Plaza. The Castle and the lamps on Main Street looked stunning (I prefer them to the Arches, Mum doesn’t). I had wanted to get some of the red snowmen photo albums and was delighted to see them reduced to 5 euros - I got three of these, some other Xmas stuff and a Halloween lanyard - plus my AP discount of course!!! Mickey was waiting to wave goodbye to us from the station - what a guy!

We headed out of the park and had a quick look at the Xmas stalls - we were kinda tired by this point having had an early start! We did stop and get some of the yummy choc marshmallow and strawberry sticks though!! We got a bus no probs back to the Kyriad - it was so nice to get into the room and get warm. We sorted ourselves out and I found the Arsenal v Portsmouth game on the telly - bonus!!! A great first day in the park! More to come shortly!

Great report - and lots of detail.

Re the Belle Christmas Show, we videoed it in Dec 2004 and can copy it onto DVD and send it to you if you would like it? Jason filmed it well, ie not too many heads in the way etc and the sound is very good.

Great report. We all loved the shows at Christmas season last year :)

Joanne anyway to upload the video as I'd love to see it too.

Joanne UK said:
Great report - and lots of detail.

Re the Belle Christmas Show, we videoed it in Dec 2004 and can copy it onto DVD and send it to you if you would like it? Jason filmed it well, ie not too many heads in the way etc and the sound is very good.

Joanne - thanks for the kind offer. I have it videoed myself so I wouldn't want to put you to all that trouble - thanks though!! Gald you enjoyed the report - I enjoyed doing it!! :wizard:

Cyrano said:
Great report. We all loved the shows at Christmas season last year :)

Joanne anyway to upload the video as I'd love to see it too.

Reid,

Jason said yes he'll upload it - hopefully tonight but the quality won't be as good as it would be if he converted it to DVD.

That was a brilliant first day Nick - full of lots of lovely details - it really brought it all back to me from our trip in November. I've never seen the park in the snow - must be beautiful!! I have got to see a photo of you with your Maleficent ears on!!!!! :earseek: :teeth:

A great day Nick, we came home on the 28th and I've not even started writing up my trippie yet. :blush:

Ware Bears said:
We came home on the 28th and I've not even started writing up my trippie yet. :blush:
We don't mind Elaine - we know it'll be well worth waiting for!!!! :Pinkbounc

Hi,

Can't believe this trippie was loaded yesterday and I have only seen it now!!!! What a great start to your holiday, sounds like everything just fell into place. Did you fly Ryan Air? We still haven't booked our Paris flights leg of the journey - only the ones to Mainland Scotland with BA, we had thought to fly BMI baby from Aberdeen - London then onto Paris but just before I confirmed I remembered Ryan Air - .......Did you get a good price for your tickets? Anyway away to read the other days of your trip now.........

Thanks very much, for writing it up so quickly
Kaye :goodvibes

bonhoga said:
Hi,

Can't believe this trippie was loaded yesterday and I have only seen it now!!!! What a great start to your holiday, sounds like everything just fell into place. Did you fly Ryan Air? We still haven't booked our Paris flights leg of the journey - only the ones to Mainland Scotland with BA, we had thought to fly BMI baby from Aberdeen - London then onto Paris but just before I confirmed I remembered Ryan Air - .......Did you get a good price for your tickets? Anyway away to read the other days of your trip now.........

Thanks very much, for writing it up so quickly

No worries Kaye! Yeah we flew Ryanair - we went 28 Dec came back 2 Jan....the whopping cost for an adult return fare was £34 taxes included! It was the reason I went. I have been stung with them before in terms of missing flights and stuff and apart from the cattle market style tent lounge coming back at Beauvais, it worked out great - factor in the extra cost for the bus and train - but it was still a great bargain!

Thanks,

I think its going to have to be Ryan Air again! I found flights with BMI baby for £7 return each [Aberdeen - London and London - Paris]but there are 7 of us and once you add in double sets of taxes, I think one set of flights to Paris Beavais will be cheaper...........but I know what you mean about Beauvais!!!!!Never mind it just makes DLRP look even better when you get there!

I really enjoyed reading about your first day Nick, you did loads, especially considering how tired you must have been. Would love to see photos!

Brilliant First Day- and what a lot you packed into the day!!!!!
princess:.

GREAT report, Nick !!! Loved each word !!!

We would have liked to listen to the Carollers ... but they were found nowhere during our visit ! :worried:

I'll look for other trippies of yours !
Laura :flower:

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter