• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Xbox one or Playstation 4

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
My DH mentioned he wouldn't mind receiving one of these for xmas. I haven't really been paying attention since he hasn't mentioned it before but now that I'm looking it looks like they are both being released this month. I am going to guess that leaves me pretty much no chance of finding one unless I want to pay double on ebay (which I won't)

Should I even bother checking the stores when they are released or just assume it will have to wait until his birthday later in the year?

My understanding is that holiday availability will be extremely slim and if you haven't pre-ordered you might be out of luck. We are sort of considering it as a Santa gift for the whole family and if I stumble across an Xbox One I may pick it up, but since I'm not going for midnight release parties and such I may end up waiting until next Christmas (which I'd actually be more comfortable with because it would give a chance for the bugs to be worked out - DH, DS, and older DD would like it sooner, but I tend to shy away from first-release consoles)

There is always slim pickins the first year its released. If you come across one, that's great. But for us, I wouldn't hold my breath. I really think an Xbox One would be cool. We have a Wii and PS3. I like the Dead Rising 3 game. But I will wait till next Christmas, maybe in a year the bugs will be worked out and maybe next year there will be more deals like gift cards with purchase, like they did the second year of the PS3. We'll see.

There will be limited numbers available at stores that aren't pre-sales. You have to be willing to go very early and wait in line, and you still may not get one.

Too bad your husband didn't mention this months ago, when you could have pre-ordered one.

I feel your pain. My 12-yo has decided he wants a PS4 for Christmas. We've already told him we will try but it isn't likely we will find one.

My husband is also wanting an Xbox One but says he wants to wait till the first wave of consoles are out there. Last time he did the whole stand in line thing and there was that "red ring of death" glitch. Plus there isn't going to be many games out yet for the system and it's not backwards comparable. I don't use the systems other than as a glorified DVD player lol if you can't find one you can always tell him that you were making sure all the bugs were out first :)

There will be limited numbers available at stores that aren't pre-sales. You have to be willing to go very early and wait in line, and you still may not get one.

Too bad your husband didn't mention this months ago, when you could have pre-ordered one.

:thumbsup2

Let me just chime in and say I LOVE THE PS4.

I am a huge gamer and have been gaming since the atari 2600 days - and this is by far my favorite console. The controller is great , interface is wonderful , I love being able to watch live streams of others playing and giving live comments/feedback. Also PlayStation Plus is a great value to begin with plus a few download titles available at launch was great too.

Now availability..that is the tricky part. We had ours per-ordered the day it became available and our store originally only allowed 25 per-orders to say how slim it was at first , though they opened it up later.
You may still be able to find some but I would suspect after the holidays more should become available.

Check with game stores first - any preorders not paid/picked up may be available , slim chance but it does happen.
Good luck !

My teenagers loved the xbox for years. They are getting a PS4 for Christmas because of the fact that the XBOX ONE does NOT play XBOX 360 games, only the new XBOX ONE games. The PS4 plays PS3 Games and Is A blu Ray player which the XBOX ONE is not. IF one day that changes and they play XBOX 360 games , then maybe we will get one. They decided on this , it was their choice! Smart choice I think!

jsksjs said:
My teenagers loved the xbox for years. They are getting a PS4 for Christmas because of the fact that the XBOX ONE does NOT play XBOX 360 games, only the new XBOX ONE games. The PS4 plays PS3 Games and Is A blu Ray player which the XBOX ONE is not. IF one day that changes and they play XBOX 360 games , then maybe we will get one. They decided on this , it was their choice! Smart choice I think!

Hi, just want to clarify PS4 is not backwards compatible either and so you wont be able to play PS3 games. However I got a PS4 anyway !

Honestly, I would wait. I would also make my husband tell me which one he wants because that is a decent amount of money to spend.

I never buy a new system right away. Too many possible bugs and too few games at release. I wait about a year truthfully. Then you have a much better idea of the game catalog that is and will be available. The games is what makes the decision for me.

my boyfriend wants one as well. He can't decide which one. :rolleyes2
I think he wants a PS4, but all of his friends are getting Xbox ones. And he wants to be able to play with them online, so he's in a pickle ;)

Sony plans to launch a game streaming service in 2014, which will let you play PS3 games on a PS4 – and even a PS Vita. Its works in a similar manner to OnLive, perhaps the best-known game streaming service.

All the processing will be done ‘in the cloud’ by Sony’s servers, with just the video transmitted to your actual console. First your controller inputs have to be sent to the Cloud, then the resulting action transmitted back – it’s a two-way process.

However, reports on the technology behind the feature have been very positive.

Probably a fee though

Hi, just want to clarify PS4 is not backwards compatible either and so you wont be able to play PS3 games. However I got a PS4 anyway !

There is an upside to it though. Several games are being ported over to the PS4. Plus new games that are being released on the PS3 will have an option to upgrade to the PS4 version for $10. Many of those games will be on sale for black friday. Gamestop is going to have the PSPlus cards for $30 on BF.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/19/how-to-upgrade-select-ps3-games-to-their-ps4-versions/

Sony is setting aside a large percentage of their stock for the holiday sales. That's why the pre orders were so limited. There were some stores that go upwards of 200 additional consoles besides the pre orders. On average there seemed to be about 30-50 additional consoles sent to the stores for launch day in my area.

We got ours yesterday morning without issue. We got it from Target, bought 3 games (buy 2 get 1 free), an additional controller, and still got the 5% discount for using the Target Card. It came in just under $600 for all of it. We already have Plus, so we downloaded about a half dozen games from the store. The three free ones plus the ones that were upgraded like Sound Shapes and Flower. Dive Kick is supposed to be released soon as well.
It's an awesome system, it goes so quickly in and out of games and menu screens. It's completely integrated with the Vita. The controllers have a headphone jack that sends the sound through the headphone and not the TV. So my boyfriend can play games all night long and I don't have to listen to the tv or tell him to turn the volume down.
This won't replace the PS3, as we have a huge library, and still in the process of playing games. But I've already started Knack, and the game is so much fun.

I'd sign up for email alerts from nowinstock.net it's free and will send you an email when things become available online. I was able to snag a xbox one bundle on pre-order last week this way.

I have also seen alerts since then for it and have also seen lots of PS4s coming up. They go fast but checking online when you get an email is a lot easier IMHO than pounding the pavement checking the stores.

I think you need you do some more research. Xbox One does have a Blu-Ray player. The PS4 does not currently have backwards compatibility with PS3 games.

I'd sign up for email alerts from nowinstock.net it's free and will send you an email when things become available online. I was able to snag a xbox one bundle on pre-order last week this way.

I have also seen alerts since then for it and have also seen lots of PS4s coming up. They go fast but checking online when you get an email is a lot easier IMHO than pounding the pavement checking the stores.

Thanks for the website. I signed up for the alerts. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter