• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

XBox help please

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It has really helped a lot! :goodvibes

I think that when we get the xbox, we will move the wii to another tv so our little one can still play those games. The xbox is really for the older kids.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It has really helped a lot! :goodvibes

I think that when we get the xbox, we will move the wii to another tv so our little one can still play those games. The xbox is really for the older kids.

Good plan! However I forgot to touch on this issue with you. You really need to hook it up to an HDTV.

For example I am playing SKYRIM and I can't see the writing clearly and some of the game is not "on screen". It is annoying to say the least.

That being said an HDTV is not in our future right now so I have to suffer for awhile.:sad:

Yes, there are definitely options. First, each player that's going to be playing online will need their own Live membership, so any children who aren't supposed to be online at all should just not purchase Live memberships. For those who are old enough to play online but not old enough to interact with strangers, there are parental controls available. When my son first started on Live, we set his account so that he could only communicate with (talk to, hear, get messages from, etc) people on his friends list. We also set it so he couldn't recieve friend requests, only send them. Then we monitored his account frequently to be sure he was only sending friend requests to people he actually knew in real life. Live definitely isn't an "all or nothing" thing when it comes to online access and interactions with other people.

I'm not the OP but I want to thank you for posting this info. My ds really wants to play with his friends but I haven't allowed him to get a Live membership. I grabbed one went they went on sale for $35 and have been saving it for Christmas and now that I know we can set controls I'll definitely give it to him.

OP, I would definitely get the one with the Kinect, we have so much fun with ours.

Definitely wait for BF to buy. Oldest DS wanted a Xbox in the worst way for x-mas last year so I was on a mission. I evaluated all the deals. I got a 250GB system with two games, LIVE subscription on Black Friday last year for $199 at Best Buy Online (actually on Thanksgiving Night). No Kinect. The Bundle was less than the system alone. I was also able to use e-bates to save even more. Target usually also has an X-box deal on BF. Depending upon the store manager you can usually buy on Wednesday and price match on Friday.

Kinect is a great system but look at the games your kids want to play before investing. We don't have the Kinect and my son doesn't care. He's on there playing the RPG games like COD and Modern Warfare and sports games like Madden NFL which don't require Kinect. Actually I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of the LIVE games don't use Kinect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter