X box questions

sdjen

DIS Veteran
I am going to be getting my DD an Xbox for Christmas (she is almost 8).

Any advice on which one to get? I want to get one of the older versions (not the new one that just came out). There seem to be two sizes and I dont know which one to get?? I think i need the Kinect also, right??

She will be getting a couple of games (minecraft & just dance). What controllers do I need to make sure she has?

What else can the Xbox do? I think i read that you can watch netflix through it? If we already have a netflix account set up, will that work?

Thanks for your help!

Any advice on which one to get? I want to get one of the older versions (not the new one that just came out). There seem to be two sizes and I dont know which one to get?? I think i need the Kinect also, right??

She will be getting a couple of games (minecraft & just dance). What controllers do I need to make sure she has?

What else can the Xbox do? I think i read that you can watch netflix through it? If we already have a netflix account set up, will that work?

Thanks for your help!
You've decided on the XBOX 360, which is probably what I would do right now also. There should be two sizes available... 16G(?) and 250G. If you can afford it, get the 250G. You can download games (both trial and purchase), and that's where the storage comes in.

I believe Just Dance will require the Kinect, but even if it didn't, I suggest getting one. My kids like 'Kinect Party' which we downloaded for free last year. It's just a goofy way to show off what the connect will do.

As far as controllers, the console should come with one controller. If you expect two people to play at anytime, you'd need to get a second controller.

Netflix can run through the 360, but I have no experience on that.

If you join XBOX Live (added cost of course), she can play games (including Minecraft I know) online. She then might want an XBOX headset that allows her to talk to her friends. You can set things up so she can only play with 'friends', and you need to enter a password for her to 'make' friends.

Thanks for your help!

I'd get the biggest hard drive available.

If you're getting Just Dance for the Xbox you would need the Kinect. If you have a Wii I actually prefer the Just Dance game on that wholeheartedly. The Xbox should come with at least 1 console controller which is all you need to play Minecraft at the like. I don't know if you want her online to play with friends (or if that's even possible with Minecraft?) but if you do you'll need a subscription to Xbox Live. You can get that at any time.

For Netflix, you basically just get an app on the Xbox main screen (called the dashboard) and you input your account information. Voila. It's a pretty straightforward system.

Thanks for your help!

when you say two sizes, im guessing its the different hard drive sizes? Its better to have a bigger hard drive so you can store some games and files onto it. this can be upgraded later on though.

If you want any of the dance games, you will need a kinect. The xbox comes with a controller so you should be fine there unless other people will be playing it, then u need more controllers.

Yes, the Xbox can do netflix, but you need to have a xbox live gold card to be able to get to it(i think, i dont recall). xboxlive gold is like the online functionality of the xbox. You can find these online as cheap as $30, regular price is like $50(i think).

I'd get the biggest hard drive available.

If you're getting Just Dance for the Xbox you would need the Kinect. If you have a Wii I actually prefer the Just Dance game on that wholeheartedly. The Xbox should come with at least 1 console controller which is all you need to play Minecraft at the like. I don't know if you want her online to play with friends (or if that's even possible with Minecraft?) but if you do you'll need a subscription to Xbox Live. You can get that at any time.

For Netflix, you basically just get an app on the Xbox main screen (called the dashboard) and you input your account information. Voila. It's a pretty straightforward system.

:thumbsup2

Why an X-Box? For a 7 year old? While not all X-Box games are violent first person shooters, that is one of their big things.

Have you thought about a Wii instead?

I have two girls, and have wii and xbox. We all like xbox with kinnect much more, although we like the mario kart on wii for driving games. I don't like violent games and just stay away from them. Our fav's our Disneyland adventure which is walking through the parks we all love this. Love the just dance, and my dd had an excerise one she likes.

I would get the kinnect, it makes it even more fun. We've had ours for a year (or 2 can't remember), I'm getting the Xbox live and headphones this holiday for them.

Why an X-Box? For a 7 year old? While not all X-Box games are violent first person shooters, that is one of their big things.

Have you thought about a Wii instead?

Probably because the xbox is the only gaming system that will play minecraft.

You will need a live gold account if she wants to play with friends on minecraft, and Netflix requires a gold account.
Another thing if you have the Kinnect then you do not need headphones to talk to friends in the games.

Probably because the xbox is the only gaming system that will play minecraft.

You will need a live gold account if she wants to play with friends on minecraft, and Netflix requires a gold account.
Another thing if you have the Kinnect then you do not need headphones to talk to friends in the games.

Op here. That is exactly right. Only the Xbox has Minecraft. I will not be letting her be online with others for a long while though.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Anyone have any other kid friendly games to recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter