Wyndham Bonnet Creek FEE now $5 PER PERSON, PER TRIP -- see Post #147

For those who are just brokers however, It's no guarantee they are really even seriously contributing to the health of the overall system. Around here you'll constantly hear about how ruthless Wyndham sales weasles are, and how you should NEVER buy retail because people are literally giving away Wyndham contracts to get out from under the MF's. The problem is, You can't give away, or sell your Wyndham Contract until it's paid off.... So there are a LOT of people out there still paying off a retail contract, some who could not afford to utilize their points, and are still forced to also pay their MF's. So you run into some brokers who will approach these underwater Wyndham owners and tell them, "Hey! We'll pay you $4 Per 1k of your points and rent them out for you.". The owner is still forced to pay their $13 Per $1k purchase price, plus the $6 per 1k MF.... but they figure that the $4k per 1k this company will pay them to use their points is better than nothing since they can't use them, and can't get rid of it.

So these brokers are pooling points from different owners, right? I thought that wasn't allowed. What's the difference between that and us two pooling our Wyndham points and renting a four bedroom Presidential at National Harbor?

Or are these brokers making sure that they don't mix owners (making sure that each week's rental is from the same owner's points)?

(And for the record.... It was actually DVC who helped start these non-owner fees within the industry with it's $95 /wk "Transportation fee" for exchanges into DVC Properties at Disney. Prior to that most Timeshare resorts treated exchange company exchanges into their resort just like their own owners based off the idea that their owners would get the same owner-treatment at the resort they exchanged into. Disney changed the equation by charging non-owners an additional fee. )

I know DVC is one of the first. I also know there is another Wyndham resort that charges an outragous fee for use of their water park (although I think we would be exempt if we exchange through Wyndham). Who else does this?

So these brokers are pooling points from different owners, right? I thought that wasn't allowed. What's the difference between that and us two pooling our Wyndham points and renting a four bedroom Presidential at National Harbor?

Or are these brokers making sure that they don't mix owners (making sure that each week's rental is from the same owner's points)?

I know DVC is one of the first. I also know there is another Wyndham resort that charges an outragous fee for use of their water park (although I think we would be exempt if we exchange through Wyndham). Who else does this?

Wyndham owners can no longer transfer their points to another owner (or rent them to another owner). So these brokers basically take over and utilize the owner's account to make each reservation and ensure that each reservation fits within the points available for each account. Vacation Strategies even has a link on their page soliciting Platinum and Presidential owners for their "excess points". http://vacationstrategy.com/owners-agreement/ There are other companies that do the same thing and maybe aren't as generous to owners as VS, or who even utilize some somewhat questionable tactics to solicit owners. (I probably receive on average 20-30+ calls per month from people trying to sell, rent, or help me 'get out' of my Wyndham ownership.... many of which are potential scams).

I'll be honest and say that I don't do a lot of RCI exchanges, so I'm not extremely familiar with the other ownership systems and their hidden charges. Within Wyndham I know one of the other big ones is the Smugglers Notch resort in Vermont. Wyndham Owners get a free "Smuggs Pass" while non-owners have to buy one or get the items ala-carte...... which is MUCH more expensive that the $84/week we are talking about here. http://www.smuggs.com/pages/universal/wyndham/

This July will be our 5th stay at Bonnet Creek. I am hoping the $12 a day fee isn't enforced as staying for 22 nights so alot of money. However, even with the extra $12, I consider staying at Bonnet Creek to be an absolute bargain. We only have 3 of us in a 2 bedroom but when I think we could have 5 more people for less than £100 (we are from England) a night it still amazes me. You would never find anything like this resort in England or other popular holiday spots like Spain for this price. It would be so much more expensive. We have stayed at SSR 3 times and whilst you dont have to pay a resort fee, you are paying so much more for a much smaller unit, then really you are paying for the buses, amenties etc.
As a side note, it always surprises me that there aren't more people from the UK staying at this resort. I don't think I have ever heard another English accent.

Just received the following email:

Dear Owner:

As an owner at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort or CLUB WYNDHAM Access owner, you are probably aware that the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Richard Scinta, Resort Manager
On behalf of the Board of Directors of
Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc.

Just received the following email:

Dear Owner:

As an owner at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort or CLUB WYNDHAM Access owner, you are probably aware that the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World® Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Richard Scinta, Resort Manager
On behalf of the Board of Directors of
Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc.

I just received that exact same email. Although I am a WBC owner, it is still upsetting to see that fee for shuttles. What about those who drive and never use the shuttles? They shouldn't have to pay the shuttle fee.

I just received that exact same email. Although I am a WBC owner, it is still upsetting to see that fee for shuttles. What about those who drive and never use the shuttles? They shouldn't have to pay the shuttle fee.

I agree! We will be driving so have to pay the $12 to subsidize others shuttle use :sad: Thankfully we are AP holders so at least we won't have to pay to park there.

I'll be staying at WBC for 7 nights this coming April. While I'm somewhat disappointed that this change was enacted, my overall feeling on this is that it is pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

I've stayed at plenty of hotels and timeshares that charge resort fees, parking fees, and numerous other charges and fees. As long as you know about them up-front you should just factor it into the cost of the room so you can make a reasonable comparison. This coming April, my effective rate per night at WBC for a 2BR is $89.00. So now it is $101.00 with the $12 fee factored in. That is still an amazing rate for a 2BR unit ON Disney property. Heck, I've spent 2-3 times as much as that for a plain old hotel room before in various locales.

Comparing rack rates at a Disney value resort for the same time period is $109 for weeknights and $134 for weekends. I'd still rather pay the $101.00/night for the 2BR at WBC.

I think a lot of people's gripe right now is the lack of information over what this fee really covers and whether they use those amenities or not.

By way of comparison Westgate charges a $9.95 + Tax/night resort fee when staying in their units at Lakes. I've stayed their plenty of times and never used their amenities beyond the basic pool before and still had to pay the fees (plus their Internet access fee on top of it!).

If you have a reservation in the system prior to today (the official "transportation fee" announcement) I would consider protesting the fee. The reason being is the fee was not officially disclosed to you at the time of making a decision to make a reservation at the resort.

Regardless if you made it through Wyndham or a third party such as a seller on ebay, Vacation Strategy, etc. the fee was not known about or disclosed, so therefore you should not be liable to pay it since it did not exist at the time you made the decision to stay at Bonnet Creek. You made a decision based on the price that was given to you and the policies and procedures instituted by the Resort and the board, which was free transportation to the park.

Wyndham and the Resort board should have planned and communicated this fee better. They should of announced that a fee was coming starting on a certain date giving everyone plenty of time to communicate and plan accordingly.

Also, it is standard in the industry to not charge newly established fees to those who have existing reservations prior to the fee launch date/ or communication date of the new fee. The fee should only impact new reservations after the communication date.

This seems like it was rushed, not well thought out and in bad taste.

And can I just make it clear that as a WBC owner, I had no idea about this fee until the email I got today. I'm going to start getting involved on the HOA board and try to understand where this fee is coming from...

I had requested a quote from VS for our stay there in 2014. They are now telling us that the fee will be $12 a day and collected at check in. I know some were asking a few posts back specifically about what VS is doing.
Here is a copy of what they sent me:

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to quote on your vacation. At this time we show availability and are happy to offer you a total price of $1,044.00 which includes all taxes and fees with the exception of a $12 per day resort fee collected at the resort effective Feb 1st of 2013. This is a savings of 30 to 50% from Wyndham's Extra Holidays, Orbitz, Expedia or Travelocity prices. We believe our prices to be the lowest available. However, if you find a better advertised offer we will match it with our Best Price Guarantee.

It also says Feb 1st where the Wyndham email is reporting Feb 15th.

so now it is a "resort" fee. will they stop charging $25 rental fee for pool towels then? :(
i barely use anything more than the pools and now this fee. Well i guess ill get my moneys worth now. :(

big303842 said:
so now it is a "resort" fee. will they stop charging $25 rental fee for pool towels then? :(
i barely use anything more than the pools and now this fee. Well i guess ill get my moneys worth now. :(

Sorry to go off course, but they charge a rental fee for pool towels? How does that work?

When did they start charging for pool towels? I was there last May and there was no charge. I'm assuming this is something new?

So...after reading some emails people have received on this thread and the TUG thread....both from rental agencies and management at WBC...it seems official that the fee will be imposed on all guests (who do not own at WBC or are Club Wyndham Access owners) regardless of parking a car or using a shuttle.

I am not happy with this change.

I took the shuttle 2-3 days on my last trip to save on parking. Each time we tipped the driver a few bucks there and back. Does this new fee mean they will be paying the driver more and I don't need to tip? I doubt it!

Does this new fee mean that the buses will come more frequently? I doubt that too.

It seems like Wyndham just wants to make it more difficult for owners to rent their points out, as WBC has become a resort that has a ton of people there who are renting points and aren't owners.

I am not happy with this change.

I took the shuttle 2-3 days on my last trip to save on parking. Each time we tipped the driver a few bucks there and back. Does this new fee mean they will be paying the driver more and I don't need to tip? I doubt it!

Does this new fee mean that the buses will come more frequently? I doubt that too.

It seems like Wyndham just wants to make it more difficult for owners to rent their points out, as WBC has become a resort that has a ton of people there who are renting points and aren't owners.

The fee makes it less likely, but not impossible, that WBC will reduce the present shuttle service. Most offsite resorts with shuttle service have a very limited schedule. The shuttle buses offered by WBC are much more frequent then any other offsite property, even when comparing them with resorts which charge for shuttle service.

Most offsite timeshare condo resorts don't offer any shuttle service and the ones that do charge around $10 per day/ per passenger for a relatively limited schedule.

This isn't about curtailing rentals---the Bonnet HOA Board does not care either way. It is simply a way for the Board to keep fees down for owners, who would otherwise be the ones who pay for the shuttle service. I'm not a fan of doing things this way, but I can see why one would.

Sorry to go off course, but they charge a rental fee for pool towels? How does that work?
There is no fee for using pool towels.

You do have to check out pool towels now as opposed to in the past when they had them by the pool in a giant bin. The check-out system is used at a lot of resorts and was no doubt put in place to reduce theft.

When did they start charging for pool towels? I was there last May and there was no charge. I'm assuming this is something new?

i was there spring break of '12 and they were charging for pool towels. if you lost yours you were charged 25 bucks! you have to sign them out.

i watched one woman frantically searching last year for her towel as it was taken from her. she was very upset knowing she had to pay 25 bucks for it!

as a guest i clean up after my messes i do the dishes etc.... i do not use the shuttle at all but now will be charged for it? seriously i will be getting my monies worth this trip and will be staying elsewhere next spring. :(

btw i hope WBC is reading this thread. because they will be very empty next year with alot of ticked off owners.

btw i hope WBC is reading this thread. because they will be very empty next year with alot of ticked off owners.

Not sure how upset the owners will be (me being one of them), because high use resorts have higher maintenance fees which must be passed on to owners. As an owner I really don't care if the resort has a lower use ratio.

However, I would care if I were an owner who frequently rents out stays at this resort.

Most mega renters own their points at low mf resorts and then use these low mf points to reserve units at higher mf resorts for rentals. So therefore, non-renting owners are subsidizing the renting owners businesses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter