Wyndam Timeshare

srgibbs

Mouseketeer
Does anyone here own a wyndam timeshare that would be willing to share some info with me? WE have been offered one from a couple in our church with 154,000 points per year and the home resort is Star Island. We would be allowed to book our points at any wyndam resort as long as they have availability from my understanding.Our interest would be to use our 2012 at Wyndam Bonnet Creek for May, is it to late to book that since it is not our home resort? we are trying to decide if taking this timeshare is a good financial decision? The dues are $72 a month and then closing *** but the timeshare costs us nothing else to purchase. We are now a family of 5 since we have a 9 month old so that will knock us out of our favorite resort WL shortly plus Im thinking it would be nice for other vacations as well. Anyone have any experience with this? Any assistance is appreciated!

That's not a bad deed in terms of $/MF costs---not great, but not bad. It's also a little small in terms of # of points if you are thinking about Bonnet Creek.

That said: if you are thinking *only* of Bonnet Creek, you would probably do better to rent through a VIP owner who is willing to pass along their discount in the form of lower rents. That resort is so large that it's fairly easy to get bookings at the discount window for anything other than holiday periods.

If you are looking at Wyndham *in general*, though, it's worth looking into. We are very happy with our ownership, and have used it for some wonderful vacations.

A couple of comments. First, I agree with the other posters above.

In particular, Brian's comment above about renting bears repeating. For what you will pay in MFs, you could rent a 2BR at Bonnet Creek and not have the ongoing obligation.

For a timeshare system, however, Wyndham is very good. Go to Wyndhamvacationresorts.com and click "Explore our resorts" to see where they have resorts. Concentrate only on the Wyndham timeshare resorts -- ignore the associate/affiliated resorts, because they're very difficult to get into. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I believe you'll find 80 or more Wyndham timeshare resorts. All of those are pretty feasible to get into, unless you are trying to get something in very high demand -- Daytona during race week, Alexandria during Cherry Blossom Festival, New Orleans during Mardi Gras, etc.

TUG is a great resource. Here's a link to the Wyndham forum: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Even though you're paying nothing to get in, you're accepting an ongoing annual expense to own the timeshare. Be sure you do plenty of research, so that you completely understand all the nuts and bolts of ownership before you take the plunge.

May 2012 at Bonnet Creek should be doable. We went there last May, initially making reservations in December. In February -- less than 3 months out -- we ADDED two days with no problem.

However, one thing you have to be aware of with Wyndham is that you may face an extended delay in the transfer of the account. It seems to take an inordinate amount of time. We closed in July, and weren't able to use our account until mid-December. That's longer than most, but Wyndham is slow.

Also, be sure the Wyndham transfer fee is including in the quoted closing costs. The transfer fee is now $299.

Good luck.

We own Wyndham points and enjoy them. Wyndham has lots of resorts in places where we like to travel - Destin, FL, Panama City, FL, Waikiki Beach, HI, Gatlinburg, TN, San Antonio, TX, Washington, DC, and of course Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort in Orlando.

I'd agree with what Brian and Jim have said. Included with your dues/maintenance fees on Wyndham points is an RCI membership. We use our RCI membership to book RCI's cash deals - Extra Vacations or Last Calls (greatly reduced inventory available 45 days before check-in).

I'd study the point charts and see if that amount of points will work for when you want to travel/size of units. Here's a link to Wyndham's directory. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/memberdirectory11-12/#/0

Click on the bottom where it says table of contents to guide you through the directory.

Thanks for all the great info, keep it coming. We live within 5 hours of Gatlinburg Tn. and Destin, Fl. so those locations would also be used. I didn't realize there was a 229 fee to transfer by Wyndam so that is good to know. I'm thinking Bonnet creek now but as the kids get older other things as well. Maybe even 1/2 stay at POR other half Bonnet creek. I'm also thinking as th kids get older the other resorts would be good flexiblility. What about switching to a different home resort and has anyone stayed at Star Islnad.

Another Question? Is there a place that gives last minute specials if rooms are not booked and is there ever discounted points for taking those spots? And can some explain RCI to me andif it is needed? Sooo much info to absorb.

My Wyndham points are deeded at Wyndham Smoky Mountains resort (not the one with the water park) and my fees are some of the lowest in the Wyndham system. I bought my points off of Ebay for pretty much nothing except closing and transfer fees.

There are two ways I can access RCI - through the regular RCI.com site where I can book cash deals and then through the Wyndham RCI portal using my Wyndham points. I have used my Wyndham points to book Disney Vacation Club units. There's a fixed point grid depending on season when trading Wyndham points via the Wyndham RCI portal. I just used 121,000 Wyndham points to book an April 2012 1 bedroom at Disney's Old Key West. In September of 2011 I used 74,000 Wyndham points (less points off season in September) to book a Disney Saratoga one bedroom. The trade fee was $179 online (if my memory serves me right) and then Disney has a $95 fee at check-in for exchangers. So just booking Bonnet Creek is cheaper (no extra fees for using Wyndham points within the Wyndham system).

There is a block for traditional Orlando weeks timeshare owners to book/trade into Orlando DVC units, but so far Wyndham points owners that own in Orlando haven't been blocked from trading into DVC.

My brother has stayed at Star Island and enjoyed it.

Wyndham typically discounts Wyndham point stays at their resorts in the off season. I've seen Wyndham Bonnet Creek reduced in early May down 30,000 or so points for a weeks stay. I've never seen Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk reduced, though - Hawaii must be considered "red" high season all year.

Wow I had no idea you can trade for Disney DVC? How in the world do I learn all about this? It is overwelming!!

Another Question? Is there a place that gives last minute specials if rooms are not booked and is there ever discounted points for taking those spots?
Yes. This and most questions you have are answered in some detail in the Wyndham Directory littlestar provided a link to above. That document is actually the "Wyndham timeshare owners manual," and it explains most of the details pretty well. Ignore the stuff about all the different VIP and Plus programs for now and just focus on how you make reservations, what the options are for points you're not going to use, etc.

I think if you read through the main parts of that document (the back of the book -- you don't have to read about individual resorts), that will be a LOT more beneficial to you than spinning your wheels asking questions here or on TUG.
And can some explain RCI to me andif it is needed? Sooo much info to absorb.
RCI is an exchange company. A full RCI membership is included in your annual Maintenance Fees with Wyndham (except for a handful of resorts who trade through II). RCI provides two important benefits, which littlestar explained quite clearly in the previous post -- exchanges and discounted cash reservations.

The way the system works basically is that members deposit points and weeks into RCI and then are able to use their deposits to make reservations at other RCI affiliated resorts.

Generally, the best use of Wyndham points will be to use them within the Wyndham system, but as littlestar has shown you above, you can get some very nice exchanges as well. However, be aware that RCI exchanging is an art form in itself -- and it involves learning yet another system to get good benefit.

However, be aware that RCI exchanging is an art form in itself -- and it involves learning yet another system to get good benefit.
What's more, you should NOT assume that you will be able to exchange for any particular resort at any particular time. In other words, don't buy Wyndham expecting to use it for DVC on anything approaching a regular basis.

I didn't realize there was a 229 fee to transfer by Wyndam so that is good to know.
It's $299, not $229. That may be included in the closing costs quoted, or it may not. Just know the fee exists and check with the lister to see if that fee is included in closing costs. When I purchased, it was included but it's $300 so don't take that for granted.

With regard to your other questions, nobody here can tell you whether Wyndham or any other timeshare is a good fit for your family. You have to do your own research and see if it meets your needs.

If Wyndham is a good fit, it's a good buy as long as you don't pay thousands by buying direct from the developer. But if it's not a good fit for your family, nothing else matters.

Only you can make that determination.

I looked thur ebay and have found some with 259,000 points with Wyndham fee and all closing costs paid. I know the monthly fee would be a bit more and depends on the final bid but looks to me like ebay may be a better deal in order to cover more costs and get more points? I def. think we would use the points as we take 1 or 2 1 week vacations a year and several long weekend trips. If we pay for it we will use it and also may do trips we would not normally do, so from my research it looks to be a good fit for us. I just think with 2 kids in school and needing to do at least 1 week in the summer we need more than 154,000 points? From anyones experience does it appear Ebay is a good way to get one of these?

eBay is fine; that's where I purchased my Wyndham contract. Just be sure you check the listings carefully, so you know for a fact whether the points are annual or every-other-year.

There are also some realtors who specialize in timeshare sales. You'll find them in places like TUG and Redweek.

154,000 points would be enough for a week in a lot of places, but not enough for a full week in a two-bedroom at a lot of the newer resorts especially during peak season. So in that sense, 259,000 points might be better. Or it might not.

The way to tell is to take a look at the link littlestar gave you above. In each resort's section, there is a points chart. See how many points would be needed for the accommodations you want, at the resort you want to visit, during the period you would likely vacation. 154K might not be enough, 259K might be enough or too many.

Unless you absolutely HAVE to go to a certain resort in peak periods, the most important consideration will be the cost of the MF's. (That's the reason littlestar and I both own at Smoky Mountains) The purchase price, including closing costs, is minor. The MFs are what you're going to pay every year.

Usually the MFs are shown as a monthly payment, because that's how Wyndham collects them. Multiply the monthly figure times 12 and divide the dollar figure by the number of thousands of points you have (i.e. 154, 259, etc) and that will equal your MF's per thousand points. Anything below $5/K is very good, anything above $6/K is too high for me unless there is something specific you're getting with that contract. Obviously, the larger the contract, the more difference a higher MF makes.

Keep in mind that if a resort is in current sales, the MF's may be artificially low and may increase a good bit when the resort sells out. Also keep in mind that if there is some large unanticipated expense (hurricane, fire, flood, etc), a resort could have a special assessment which could increase the MF's.

But before you start bidding on eBay, you need to take a look at several other things...especially the nuts and bolts of how your account is managed. For example, how many "Reservation transactions" will you have? What about housekeeping credits? You need to know what those things are, and how they can cost you money (not big money, more of an aggravation).

The other thing you need to study is eBay bidding strategy -- bidding on a timeshare on eBay is not like buying a cellphone...whole 'nother world! TUG is great for that kind of info.

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!! I had another question I cannot find the answer to, which makes a big difference in points while we have an infant. we have a 9 nonth old, a 7yo, and 10 year old. My question is can you get a 1 bedroom with an infant even though it says max capacity 4 or do they make you count the infant thus bumping to a 2bedroom?

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!! I had another question I cannot find the answer to, which makes a big difference in points while we have an infant. we have a 9 nonth old, a 7yo, and 10 year old. My question is can you get a 1 bedroom with an infant even though it says max capacity 4 or do they make you count the infant thus bumping to a 2bedroom?
I know the Disney resorts provide a pack-n-play and don't count children under 3, but I don't know what Wyndham's policy is. And there may not be a Wyndham system-wide answer for that. Each Wyndham timeshare property has its own homeowner's association and the rules for various things vary a good bit from resort to resort.

I suspect the stock answer if you call Wyndham reservations is the occupancy is the occupancy. But if you call an individual resort, you may find they have exceptions for infants and toddlers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter