• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD? Yes another teacher issue. Update pg. 5

Is today the first day back from holiday break? Perhaps the teacher should get cut some slack. Expecting an immediate email when the teacher probably has other classes is unrealistic. I'm sure that some constructive conversation will take place when the teacher has time. You have the email from before the holiday break give it some time to work out.

Your son did not participate, right?

I just want to be sure that he did not feel pressured to participate in any way.

If that is true, then at least the urgency factor is not there.
Plenty of time to work out the alternative assignment, grade, etc.

I can say that there is no way that my kid would be given a zero, docked, or anything else, when a valid Dr.s excuse was provided.

Freshman year of college, my wife (who was not quite my girlfriend at the time) had a severe allergic to penicillin that was being grown in the classroom where she was taking a Botany class. She wasn't even doing the lab, it just so happened the Petri dishes were open on a table behind her.

Her throat started to close us. We took her to the closest emergency room where she was given a breathing treatment and I think a shot of Prednisone, and then she was fine.

Having seen her reaction first hand, I would have a big issue with this and more make as large of a stink as possible to anyone who would listen.

However, as others have said, this is the first day back from a long vacation. I'd give it a day or two.

Is this DE class at his actual high school or does he take this class at a Community College? Is his teacher an employee of the high school or other school? I ask because if this is an employee of a CC or University teaching classes at his high school, he would need to go through the CC or University to document this, not the actual high school. The principal may not have any control over this. If the teacher is an actual high school teacher, employed by the high school, I'd call the principal and not wait for an email. The principal might simply be busy with other things and not checking emails. If you call, you should at least be able to talk to the secretary and explain the situation and get some answers.

One thing that jumps to mind is that first and foremost your son's life is known to be at stake. So fair or not, worst case scenario, I'd have my son take the zero versus dying . . .

The grades are a secondary issue. And thus are possibly not as urgent and I'd hold tight and wait and give the chance for the principal and teacher to get things straightened out. Just as long as your son is not in imminent danger.

He took the zero. I told him to leave campus if the teacher would not let him go somewhere else. He left school for an hour and went back for his next class.

I have attempted to call the school and was sent to the principal's voice mail. Still waiting on return of phone call or email.

The teacher is a teacher at the high school. He is a first year teacher.

If I have no response from the principal by morning, I will accompany the boys to school and meet up with him that way.

I do have all of the emails stored from before Christmas. I thought I was crazy for storing all of the email conversations I have had with teachers this year about one or the other of the kids.

Place a call to the school and request to speak to the principal. If I placed the call and was brushed off after actually speaking to a live person, absent receiving confirmation my message would be passed on immediately and a response would be forthcoming within X timeframe, my next phone call would be either to the attorney I know acts as counsel for the school district or to the administration to inquire as to their legal counsel's name.

The teacher should be reprimanded, disciplined or dismissed if your facts are correct. Check the online grading system to see if the grade has been entered yet also.

Inexcusable decision from an adult in a supervisory role.

I am glad you and your son made the right decision. I hope the teacher is made to understand the severity of his ignorance. Keep us posted!

I'd just skip the principal and go for the Superintendent at this point. What about the school nurse? Ours got involved when my son couldn't do a lab because of his peanut allergy. The science teacher in that case was happy to change the assignment.

The labs that my kids do in their science classes are state mandated so if that is the case in your state I would look up alternatives through your state's education dept. Go in armed with all the info that the teacher obviously doesn't know, or care to learn.
Your son should not be penalized for having a medical excuse, I'm sure that your state will agree :thumbsup2

Wowzers. The teacher reminds me of the idiot my son had last year for science. My son wasn't ever put in danger, but the teacher lacked common sense. So glad the district didn't renew him. Hope your kids teacher doesn't have the last name "Baldwin"....

I have an aversion to blood ( like i'm passed out on the floor from a paper cut) - let alone disection for freshman HS biology.

My parents met with the teacher and they offered to have me do an assignment on each of the animals that would be disected during the semister.

Maybe go in with some alternative assignments to suggest to the teacher?

I would also involve the school nurse in this discussion. As the mom of a first grader with food allergies she is my primary contact about all things allergy related. If nothing else it puts another adult at the school with some medical knowledge into the mix regarding what is happening in classes that involve something students are allergic to.

I will say my first thought was "Did he leave the class?" Happy to hear he did.

My experiences dealing with the school and a serious allergy was that I needed not only a doctor's letter, but a letter from a lawyer detailing the consequences if the doctor's recommendations were not followed.

The doctor made this suggestion to me after I detailed to her the problems I was having with the school having a "whatever" attitude towards the issue. She told me that she had seen too many kids in the ER due to people deciding that allergies don't exist or worse yet, to "prove" the kid did not have an allergy. Sadly, too many people don't "believe" in allergies. (Which is like not 'believing" in gravity.) Those people will often deliberately endanger those with allergies to "prove" they are right or to "get back" at a parent who is trying to keep their kid safe.

I would also involve the school nurse in this discussion. As the mom of a first grader with food allergies she is my primary contact about all things allergy related. If nothing else it puts another adult at the school with some medical knowledge into the mix regarding what is happening in classes that involve something students are allergic to. I will say my first thought was "Did he leave the class?" Happy to hear he did.

Not every school has a nurse.

Not every school has a nurse.

That's the truth. We have a "nurse" at the school, but she's not allowed to take temperatures or hand over feminine hygiene. (off topic)

OP, I'm not sure if you had already been asked this. Is the lab online (youtube or other science website)? If my daughter misses a lab due to excused absence, she can watch the experiment online and then do the lab worksheets. They also make this available to the kids who can't participate in certain labs due to personal belief systems.

There is a requirement to do the pre-lab paperwork. The pre-lab is usually due the day before the lab (or some labs; same day)

I heard back from the principal. He said the teacher told him that neither me nor my son let him know about the allergy and the extent!!!!!! I told the principal that this was a bald faced lie and I had emails to prove that we had discussed the issue at length and that a dr's note had been sent in detailing that my son had a severe allergy and could not participate. The teacher said there is no alternate assignment available.

The principal wanted me to send him all of the emails exchanged between me and the teacher, so I not only sent him the emails between the teacher and myself, but also between the teacher and my son.

The principal said there is no way my son will get a zero and will not get in trouble for skipping class either. We have a meeting with the principal and the teacher in the morning. I'm bringing hardcopies of all emails.

I too am highly allergic to Penicillin. I do not have an epi but probably should. I would not participate in any such activity. (My face swelled from eating aged cheddar) Your so did the right thing and I can not imagine what that teacher was thinking....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter