WWYD: WDW or US/IOA Christmas week?

molly2004

DIS Veteran
Hi, there. Thought I'd turn to the veterans for help. :-)

We will be in the area Christmas week for my dad's 80th. Between family activities and lost travel days, we will likely have 3 days left for the parks. Not sure which would be the better use of our time. We will not be staying onsite for either. We'll have a car so transportation is not an issue.

Kiddos have never been to US/IOA and I thought this might be where we go, especially with Harry Potter being there. However, DSister tells me that when they went at the same time two years ago, the place was mobbed! They couldn't even move.

I know we'll be mobbed anywhere we go, but thought that WDW's Fastpass would alleviate the perpetual waiting. I don't want to pay another couple hundred bucks just to get front of the line at US/IOA.

Which park would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, there. Thought I'd turn to the veterans for help. :-)

We will be in the area Christmas week for my dad's 80th. Between family activities and lost travel days, we will likely have 3 days left for the parks. Not sure which would be the better use of our time. We will not be staying onsite for either. We'll have a car so transportation is not an issue.

Kiddos have never been to US/IOA and I thought this might be where we go, especially with Harry Potter being there. However, DSister tells me that when they went at the same time two years ago, the place was mobbed! They couldn't even move.

I know we'll be mobbed anywhere we go, but thought that WDW's Fastpass would alleviate the perpetual waiting. I don't want to pay another couple hundred bucks just to get front of the line at US/IOA.

Which park would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Given this consideration, WDW. But as you say, both will be absolutely mobbed.

I probably should have also asked whether there might be a time of day when either of these parks would be less mobbed. Like in the evening?

Also, would Fastpass even help? Or will they be out by 9AM in the morning?

Personally, if you want to avoid lines, I'd go for Universal - and stay on-site! Staying onsite at US gives you access to all express lines as often as you like, whenever you like. You won't have to collect Fastpasses, you won't have to be at a certain ride within a certain window, you'll have a lot more freedom.

Universal onsite hotels are on par with Disney deluxes, and once you factor in the cost of buying express passes for everyone, they start to look very reasonable, cost-wise.

If your sister was there two years ago, she was there the first holiday after the Harry Potter attraction opened. It was definitely mobbed! However, on-site guests get to enter that area of the park an hour before everyone else, so if you get up early and know your priorities, even during that week you could still stay ahead of the crowds.

I probably should have also asked whether there might be a time of day when either of these parks would be less mobbed. Like in the evening?

Also, would Fastpass even help? Or will they be out by 9AM in the morning?

FastPass will certainly help. Many there will not know how to maximize it or that it's even included with admission. Understand how it works well and you'll be in a better position than most.

As with any other time of year, the least crowded times in any park are the first hour or two and the last hour or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter