WWYD- Tired of Best Friend's Lame Excuses- Update Post #50, Final Post #76

CarolJ

Mouseketeer
My daughter is getting married Saturday. My dear friend of 25 years did not go to her shower or even acknowledge her shower 4 weeks ago. I received a text the day before the shower from my friend saying she could not go since she didn't feel well. Her sister ended up spending $30.00 for her meal. I did not say anything. I did not want to be petty.

Fast forward 4 weeks later. I just received a text stating that she can't come to the wedding. She's saying she smashed her car and can't drive it at night, she was going to camp, but the camper has water damage, she can't afford a hotel, she can't sit for that long (she lives an hour and a half from the hotel), life is kicking her ***. It’s too late to cancel her meals for the reception. It's a buffet so we can't bring the meals home with us.

Her husband was supposed to come and he has a vehicle. They did not even try to book a hotel. The camper has had water damage for months. If these were issues she should have told us months ago so we did not include her in the wedding. Meanwhile she is posting on Facebook that she is going out every night and has at least 4 to 5 people come over on the weekends for entertaining.

Her and her husband have no mortgage and a household income of $90,000. They told their nearly adult children they are not going to pay for college since they have no money and only paid for their property taxes for one of the past 5 years. She is always stating she has no money. However, she also knows that if she came and brought a small gift that we would not care less. I’m just frustrated that we are basically throwing $100.00 away and money is an issue for us right now.

I'm upset with both the fact that she came up with such lame excuses and the lost money. We kept the wedding small for financial issues and my friend knows this.

I am ready to text her and state did you realize that your inconsideration costs us over $100.00? I know how this sounds, but I am steaming. Please advise me on what to state in a text. I can't call- she won't answer her phone until after the wedding. I know I may be petty, but how do I get over feeling this way? Thank you for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Post a comment on one of her Facebook posts? Much as I cringe saying this, let it go. Both the wedding issue and the friendship.

You say she's your best friend. However, this doesn't seem to be how she values you. In her FB postings about all her weekend get-togethers, you seem to read about them but not attend them. I would back away from her "friendship" and focus on others who show true interest in you. There's no need to text her or even respond back -- she's sent you at least 2 loud-and-clear messages about what your friendship means to her.

You most certainly can tell the caterer or the hall to pack up the leftover buffet food.

As far as everything else goes, text and FB is not going to help the situation. Sit down with her after the wedding face to face and talk things out if you feel a need to. Personally I think she would just stay in my rear view mirror...it's done.

Before I answer - I'd like to know how you respond or would respond to her in perso of age can't do things you expect of her.
She might be making lane excuses. You might expect too much of her and she tries now to avoid confrontation.
You may know her income - but just because she makes that much and doesn't pay for college doesn't mean she's rolling in money. You really don't know what her financial commitments are and its one of your business. To be offended that she's not spending money on that isn't fair.
However, I can see where it would be annoying to see the types of posts she puts on Facebook.

Our son was married a few weeks ago and the reception was buffet style. There were leftovers which the caterer encouraged he and his wife to take. My husband, DDIL's mother, and I took them home to freeze. DS and DDIL were so happy to get home from their honeymoon and know they did not have to cook for a few days.

I would have no problem spending the money if she came. I am helping to pay for the wedding. I hate the thought of throwing away the $100.00 since I work so hard for it. I agree it should be none of my business about her financial problems, but she is the one whom is constantly moaning and groaning every time I talk to her. I am having medical problems, along with my husband, and spent over $5000 out of pocket last year. I didn't say a word until she cried that she had a $20.00 co-pay for her doctor visit. I don't want to hear how she has to go to the food pantry and put food back on the shelf because she can't afford it. Meanwhile, they just bought their 5th brand new tv, new IPAD, Keurig machine, 4 laptops, hot tub, 2 cars with every option, etc. in the past year. I guess that is what is irritating me and I need to know how to get over feeling this way. I tried to tell her nicely I did not want to talk about money, but she doesn't get it.

I'm also upset about her lame excuses. I have known her 25 years and thought of her as a sister, but now I wonder if I even know her. It really hurt me that she did this. I appreciate your thoughts as I don't want to rant and lose a friend, but I'm tired of being quiet all of the time.

I would have no problem spending the money if she came. I am helping to pay for the wedding. I hate the thought of throwing away the $100.00 since I work so hard for it. I agree it should be none of my business about her financial problems, but she is the one whom is constantly moaning and groaning every time I talk to her. I am having medical problems, along with my husband, and spent over $5000 out of pocket last year. I didn't say a word until she cried that she had a $20.00 co-pay for her doctor visit. I don't want to hear how she has to go to the food pantry and put food back on the shelf because she can't afford it. Meanwhile, they just bought their 5th brand new tv, new IPAD, Keurig machine, 4 laptops, hot tub, 2 cars with every option, etc. in the past year. I guess that is what is irritating me and I need to know how to get over feeling this way. I tried to tell her nicely I did not want to talk about money, but she doesn't get it.
Okay - yeah - I'd be pissed. But looking at this as an outsider - I'm telling you to not take it personally. I'm sure she treats all her "friends" this way.
I have a few "friends" like this and I admit - I try to let it go in one ear and out the other - but it oftentimes annoys the snot out of me!

I'm also upset about her lame excuses. I have known her 25 years and thought of her as a sister, but now I wonder if I even know her. It really hurt me that she did this. I appreciate your thoughts as I don't want to rant and lose a friend, but I'm tired of being quiet all of the time.
You know what - it might make you feel good at the moment. But they probably won't care and/or they honestly see NOTHING wrong with their behavior!

So I have a question for you? Why would you be friends with someone that does such extreme questionable actions? It sounds like that isn't your moral radar line. If you don't call her on that kind of stuff, I guess she thinks she can feed you the same line as she does others. I understand you have been friends a long time but is it really the same quality that you were getting?

I had a friend who was pregnant when I was. I miscarried and told all my family and friends that I needed a few weeks to recover in private. When I called this friend to get together a month or so later, she and her 2nd DH told me what a horrible friend I was. They said she was left alone to worry that the same thing could happen to her and I wasn't there for her! We had been growing apart and I had worked hard to maintain our friendship up to that point despite the fact that I felt like her morals (rampant adultery) weren't in line with mine. Well, I didn't call her and she didn't call me after that. Sometimes it's best just to let old friendships die a natural death.

It actually sounds to me like your friend could have some mental health issues- poor decision making, overspending, and general disorganization and chaos in her life. She sounds a lot like my sister.

OP, congratulations on your Daughters upcoming Wedding. Please try not to let this bother you, and just enjoy this special occasion :flower3:

Two things jumped out at me in your posts. These people that she is going out with, and entertaining on the weekends, are they new friends to your best friend? If so, are these people more affluent than your best friend? I only ask because you mentioned all of the big purchases in the past year your best friend has made. I almost wonder if it's a "Keeping up with the Jones'" type situation, and your best friend complains to you since your one of her oldest friends, and she feels she can be honest with you? Sometimes the new friends can really create problems with the old friends. Only you can decide if it's worth continuing the friendship.

Going back to the Wedding, it's beyond rude what she is doing. I agree with Ruthie/Luvchefmic- speak with your caterer about the leftover food. Since its a buffet, there will be leftover food that you should be able to take with you.

No matter what, enjoy the Wedding and deal with this minutiae a few days later.

Find someone else who might appreciate a night out. No gift required. Just come and enjoy and bring their good wishes for the happy couple.

This is what we did. At the last minute friends of ours found out their closing date on their house was on our wedding day so they couldn't come. I had two coworkers that I had just become friends with. I was honest with them and told them we just wanted them to come have a good time and a free meal, no gifts required. They weren't offended because we weren't really friends when the invites went out. They did come and we had a great time!

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will definitely ask the caterers to take home the leftovers. That will make my financial concerns less worrisome. I didn't want to be judgmental with my friend, but I am realizing that some of her actions bother me. She constantly talks finances and as I mentioned it is not a topic I feel comfortable discussing. I suppose it is because I do judge her poor choices. If it was me I would pay my property taxes and not buy a fifth flat screen tv, IPAD, new car, keurig machine. I would also get a job if I were her and I've made that suggestion to her in a kind way. She says the children need her, but they both turn 18 this year. I then feel guilty that I'm judging her. I feel we all make mistakes. I do think that maybe she posts on Facebook her fantasy life and tells me the truth. However, after her flimsy excuses I don't know if her Facebook life is her real life and she's just trying to make excuses for her actions. After my Dad died recently she told me she a special surprise for me. No surprise came. She then said she tried to deliver flowers, but that the delivery was messed up. I wouldn't have minded if she hadn't sent flowers, but it bothered me that she told me she had a surprise and did not follow through. I have been going through a very emotional time this past year and a half and she knows all about it. I never say anything because I don't like confrontation, but then I just silently sit and get sad.

My daughter is getting married Saturday. My dear friend of 25 years did not go to her shower or even acknowledge her shower 4 weeks ago. I received a text the day before the shower from my friend saying she could not go since she didn't feel well. Her sister ended up spending $30.00 for her meal. I did not say anything. I did not want to be petty.

Am I reading this correctly? The guests had to pay to attend your daughter's shower? Wow.

I'm sorry for the confusing statement I made. My daughter paid for the shower and I chipped in. I meant we had to pay $30.00 for the meal she did not eat since she did not attend. I would never have my guests pay to attend any event I had and neither would either of my daughters. It's just that I dislike wasting money. Other guests have come up with flimsy excuses at the last minute, also. For example, my nephew can't come because his knees hurt- and no he did not have any type of injury or illness.

I'm also hurt by people's flimsy excuses. If you didn't want to come you should have never RSVP'd that you would be attending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter