wwyd.... supermarket and expired items....

njcarita

DIS Veteran
Everytime I go to our local Weiss supermarket I find tons of expired products....and I mean everytime ... today I was in the store trying to buy soup mix and the ones I was looking it had all expired in 2009.....

In the past I have informed Customer service ... but the next time I go to the store the expired items are still on the shelf....

Its not the main store I shop in.....but I usually run in to buy a few things once a week or so.... But I never buy anything that does not have a date on its package....

Do I call corporate office???? I really worry about those people who don't check dates ( like my husband).... because I have seen expiration dates over 2 years old..:scared1:

I would talk to the store manager first. If the problem continues, escalate to corporate.

I don't understand: Why do you keep shopping there if the quality is so poor?

It's not illegal to sell food past it's due date (except for one product: infant formula), but it's a practice that will hurt customer satisfaction. It would hurt mine.

I don't understand: Why do you keep shopping there if the quality is so poor?

It's not illegal to sell food past it's due date (except for one product: infant formula), but it's a practice that will hurt customer satisfaction. It would hurt mine.

I actually do 99% of my food shopping at ShopRite.... I just pop in to pick up and item or two maybe once a week... cause there is never a line..... today I ran in for pancake syrup and onion soup mix.....

Everytime I go to our local Weiss supermarket I find tons of expired products....and I mean everytime ... today I was in the store trying to buy soup mix and the ones I was looking it had all expired in 2009.....

In the past I have informed Customer service ... but the next time I go to the store the expired items are still on the shelf....

Reading that you shop mostly at ShopRite but hit Weis occasionally for things, I wonder if we go to the same market?

I've only had one experience buying food that had an expiration date that had passed, but it means I always stop & check dates before I buy anything there. I've never mentioned it at customer service, just been more careful in the future.

Reading that you shop mostly at ShopRite but hit Weis occasionally for things, I wonder if we go to the same market?

I've only had one experience buying food that had an expiration date that had passed, but it means I always stop & check dates before I buy anything there. I've never mentioned it at customer service, just been more careful in the future.

Haha, same thing I was thinking, and since I see your from Hardyston, now I'm pretty sure we're talking about Franklin NJ

Eww, is it really legal to sell expired food? I know sometimes it's just a taste issues but there are times when it could create health problems. Personally, I'd call corporate because if there are as many products expired as you say, the mgr probably knows already & chose not to address it. If someone works for a store & wants to explain why that might happen & not be corrected, I'm honestly puzzled & curious now.

At the store where I shop, they mark stuff down once it starts getting close to expiration. They are very on top of exp dates & keep the stock updated.

Ugh! This was happening at our Genuardi's. Milk still on shelf with date expired. :sick: Dh does grocery shopping :-)lovestruc) and first told the stock boy, next week different milks but still expired so he got the dairy manager. Next weekend, same thing so he told the store manager. It got better but only for a short time and then started happening again.
Switched to ShopRite. It's a little farther away but no issues.

This has happened to me a few times at our local food co-op, I'm sure because they don't have as fast a turnover as a larger store would. I try to be careful about checking dates there while I'm shopping, but the few times I ended up buying something that was expired, I just took the unopened package back & they've exchanged it for me.

Our Shoprite has a $ 1.00 bounty on expired items, so they're pretty good at not having any. But I have found expired vitamins, dairy products and a pie crust mix.

If you're finding expired items on a regular basis, I'd contact the board of health and a newspaper. Food banks won't accept anything expired, so why should you pay for expired products.

Ugh! This was happening at our Genuardi's. Milk still on shelf with date expired. :sick: Dh does grocery shopping :-)lovestruc) and first told the stock boy, next week different milks but still expired so he got the dairy manager. Next weekend, same thing so he told the store manager. It got better but only for a short time and then started happening again.

It's not illegal in most states to sell expired food. Milk, eggs, dairy and any other products (meats. fish, chicken etc) that can make people sick are another story. I would report that store with the expired milk to your state Health Department.

Haha, same thing I was thinking, and since I see your from Hardyston, now I'm pretty sure we're talking about Franklin NJ

We have the same problem at our Weis here in PA. That's why I now shop at their competitor.

We must shop at the same Genaurdi's... happens all the time at the one near me as well.. I've stopped going there at all. I can get to Wegmans and Shoprite in about the same time.

Call the health department. I've done this several times. Once I bought and accidentally fed Mac N Cheese to my DD that was 18 MONTHS outside of its expiration date. Thankfully she didn't get sick but there is just no excuse for that. And yeah I called the health department. The woman there even said when they have issues with expiration dates they usually have issues in other areas (like meat freshness:sick:).

I worked at a grocery store(NOT Weis) for 7 years through high school & college and it was rare to get complaints about expired items. When we did it was mostly unusual stuff that we didn't have to restock much of or people didn't buy much - and never any dairy items. If I got a complaint, I would go to the shelf and pull all the items that were expired so no one else got them.
If you've already tried customer service, I would ask for the department manager and if they aren't available then the store manager or manager on duty. IF that doesn't get you anywhere definitely try corporate, while I am not sure of the legality of it all, I know it is not the "normal" practice to leave expired food on the shelves.
I do think there is something legally about selling expired foods, that is why I don't mind buying food at Big Lots and the Dollar Stores,etc because they are required to be in date by law - per my BIL who was a manager for both the grocery store I used to work for and for Dollar Tree <- but I am speaking only from what he has told me not from any official source.

I found yogurt at one of our Wegman's that was more than a month past the sell-by date once. Organic BABY yogurt. :scared1: I notified the manager of the store. When I went back, found more expired yogurt, same brand. Called the yogurt company and shared what I had found with them. Also called Wegman's corporate. At that point, with a perishable item intended for very young children, it was time to make sure that something was done.

That particular Wegman's is a lower-volume store and honestly, I rarely shop at it any more. The irony is I have to drive right *by* it to get to the next-nearest store, but I do it. :confused3 I will occassionally stop at the scary-store (what DH and I now call it) if I only need an item or two, but even their produce seems to be lower-quality - again, probably a volume issue where it sticks around longer so it gets bruised and battered. :sad2:

So, if you consistently find expired product, make it a point to contact the product manufacturer as well - sometimes it is an outside vendor, not your store, that stocks those items. If the vendor isn't pulling the out of date product, the company needs to know!

The CVS next door to where I work had a bunch of expired items so I stopped shopping there. A short time later the NY Attorney Generals office announced a crack down on CVS for the same thing state wide. Last time I stopped in at this CVS everything I looked at was up to date. I think this was last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter