• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD - Re: Verandahs

tink_n_pooh

<font color=darkorchid>my TP isn't going anywhere.
We are looking to book a 3 night cruise for DH & I and we can't decide between a Cat. 7 navigators verandah or a Cat. 6 with a regular verandah. Now that we are really debeating we are even considering a Cat 8 or 9 :confused3 We aren't great with decisions :rotfl:

Anyway since it's just the 2 of us and it's only a 3 night cruise we are wondering how much we are even going to use the verandah and if it is worth it to go with a regular over a navigators. When you are sitting on the navigators verandah can you see outside or can you really only see out when you are standing?

And how much does the deck that you are on make a difference? On the DCL website it says something about the verandah rooms being situated on higher decks away from the noise of the lower decks. How noiser are the lower decks?

We have only been on one other cruise which was on Celebrity for our honeymoon (12 nights) in which we had a balcony room. We used the balcony just about every night but it was also a much longer cruise.

FWIW we are also cruising on points so we aren't super concerned about 'price'

We've been on decks 5, 6, 7, and 8 and I do not get the higher decks are better thing at all. :confused3

Personally I prefer decks 5 and 6 to decks 7 and 8 location-wise. In fact we noticed more noise from deck 9 above us when we stayed in the more expensive cabins on deck 8 than we ever noticed in the cabins on lower decks. (except for noise from inconsiderate neighbors, which can happen on any deck) That's just our personal experience/opinion though.

You can see the sky, listen to the waves, and enjoy the fresh air while seated on a navigator verandah; but yes, you will need to stand up if you really want to watch the ocean go by.

We've always felt the extra cost for a verandah was worth it, but we've never sailed on a 3 night cruise either. I can't imagine you'd log too much verandah time on that short of a cruise, but it sure is nice to have that option.

Good Luck with your decision!

Hubby & I did a 3 night cruise this past March. We had a verandah in 2003, but went for a porthole to save a few dollar on this one. With the cruise being so short and no at sea days, I can honestly say that I didn't miss it at all. There just wasn't a lot of time to sit out there because we stayed busy with other cruise activities (from the Navigator, of course!! :lovestruc )

Just keep in mind that Cat 6 cabins that are aft of the Navigator Verandahs will have solid white wall railing, not a clear plexiglass railing like the Cat 6 cabins forward of the Navaigator verandahs......so you would have to stand to see the ocean in the aft Cat 6 cabins as well.

You will see what cabins have a solid wall verandah on the deck plans...they are marked with an *.

See link......

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-deckplans.htm#

Also, there are 4 cabins onboard the Magic and Wonder that are priced as Cat 7's and are shown on the deck plans as Cat 7's but are really reclassified Cat 5's and 6's with open, clear rail verandah but have a very slight obstruction in the upper corner of the verandah opening. We have stayed in these cabins several times and you get a full verandah at a Navigator verandah price.

They are 6634, 6134 on Deck 6 and 7620 and 7120 on Deck 7.

MJ

If price isn't a concern, then go for the verandah. If you'd rather save a few bucks on the room and enjoy it elsewhere, go for the porthole. We've stayed in each one, both on deck 5. Although we really looked forward to the verandah, I'm not sure we would do it again. It was nice to sit for a bit here and there but we never stayed that long in the cabin. We got a great Florida Resident's deal for the verandah due to parents being with us so thought it was a good time to splurge. Unless we got another great deal, I'd book a porthole or even an inside on deck 5 or up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter