• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD - Playground Altercation

jensen

DIS Veteran
What would you do in this scenario? Your child is playing tag with a group of boys during school recess. He tags one of the kids and the other kid gets angry. Your son is grabbed and shoved to the ground. In the altercation, his quite new, very expensive jacket has the zipper torn.

You contact the other parent and they offer to pay for repairs to the zipper. You've already decided that out of simple vanity that you'd rather purchase a new jacket than have it repaired. There's a chance the new zipper won't match exactly and this was a REALLY expensieve jacket.

So, they offer to pay for half of the new jacket.

But, you think they should pay for the whole thing. Their kid basically attacked yours. Shouldn't they pay for a new jacket?

What would you do in this scenario? Your child is playing tag with a group of boys during school recess. He tags one of the kids and the other kid gets angry. Your son is grabbed and shoved to the ground. In the altercation, his quite new, very expensive jacket has the zipper torn.

You contact the other parent and they offer to pay for repairs to the zipper. You've already decided that out of simple vanity that you'd rather purchase a new jacket than have it repaired.

I don't understand how vanity leads to not repairing the zipper.

I'm also not sure I understand the q. - what's to do? If you're not repairing the zipper, there's nothing for the other parent to pay for. They offered, you declined, I don't see what's left.

I don't understand how vanity leads to not repairing the zipper.

I'm also not sure I understand the q. - what's to do? If you're not repairing the zipper, there's nothing for the other parent to pay for. They offered, you declined, I don't see what's left.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had accidentally sent this before I was finished. Will you look at my edited question and respond?

You contact the other parent and they offer to pay for repairs to the zipper. You've already decided that out of simple vanity that you'd rather purchase a new jacket than have it repaired. There's a chance the new zipper won't match exactly and this was a REALLY expensieve jacket.

So, they offer to pay for half of the new jacket.

But, you think they should pay for the whole thing. Their kid basically attacked yours. Shouldn't they pay for a new jacket?

No. I think them offering to pay for half was above and beyond actually.

The kid who did the shoving was absolutely wrong for doing so. I'd think he should be made to apologize *by his parents, and his parents should have offered to pay for a new zip to be put in.

They did. If you want a new jacket instead, that's on you, imo.

I mean if someone hit your car in an accident and dinged the side panel and then said they'd pay to have that fixed, you couldn't charge them for a new car - even if they'd dinged a Rolls Royce and you were afraid it'd never look perfect again, if you see what I mean.

In my opinion, they should have (and did) offer to pay to repair what their child damaged, provided it's reasonably repairable. It's a broken zip. That's repairable.

Same as dinging the side panel. If they trash the entire car, they pay for the car. If the kid had ripped the jacket open and scattered the stuffing to the wind somehow, then they replace. Broken zip? Repair. :confused3

I don't believe they should pay for a new jacket. First you asked for the zipper and they agree, next you ask for 1/2 for a new jacket and they agree.
You may end up taking 1/2 for the jacket and only get the zipper repaired.
Good grief
What ever happen to the days when children played and clothing got torn and ripped?

I think it was more than generous to offer to pay half. Get the zipper repaired or eat the cost of your own vanity. The other parent should not have to buy a whole new coat when a new coat is not necessary. It was nice of them to offer half.

I think that the other parent paying to repair the zipper is fair. Repairing the zipper fixes the damage that the child did. Anything more than that is an excessive request, in my opinion.

What ever happen to the days when children played and clothing got torn and ripped?

I don't remember those days, as my mom couldn't just replace clothes easily if they were torn, so we were careful. But we also didn't play tag in very expensive coats.

My kids have always worn yard sale or thrift store coats to school because they get lost, torn, or stained. It's just part of going to school. If they had expensive coats, they would have worn them on weekends when I could oversee them. I think the parents were very generous to offer either the zipper or to pay half.

Sheila

I think that they were more then generous in offering to pay for half of it. I'd consider myself lucky, thank them, and get on with things.

It may be their child's fault that the zipper ripped, but it is not their fault that you are vain.

Repairing the zipper is more than fair. If the jacket is that expensive, don't wear it to school.

Their kid basically attacked yours. Shouldn't they pay for a new jacket?

Were you there to witness exactly what happened? Are you sure there wasn't more to the altercation than your son is telling you?

I'm not trying to make excuses for the kid who grabbed and shoved your son, of course that's not OK. Maybe he did just go off on your son, it's possible. But isn't it also possible that your son wasn't as completely innocent as he'd like you to believe? Just sayin'

Doesn't really matter though, because either way... NO, I don't think the other parents should pay for a new jacket. I don't think they should pay for 1/2 of a new jacket. I think their offer to pay to have the zipper replaced was all that was necessary.

As far as the WWYD part of your question, I probably wouldn't even have asked them to pay for the repairs, but that's just me.

Remember, you asked for opinions. I have a feeling you're going to get them on this one.

The way the OP is written, I'm guessing the poster is being asked to pay for the whole jacket.

Pay for zipper repair and that's all. You pay to fix your mistakes but victims don't get to cash in as a result.

I probably would have even declined the offer of paying to repair the zipper, but I do think it was a reasonable offer. Kids are playing at recess, clothes get torn, things happen. Your child could have just as easily gotten their zipper caught in the chain of a swing or something. Next time I would save the expensive coat for when they're out of the "recess" age.

Plus, while I'm assuming you bought and therefore could afford the expensive coat, what if the extra expense would actually be a hardship for the other family? In these times you never know and the holidays are coming, I wouldn't want to do that to another family.

Yeah, I really wouldn't call a game of tag getting rough an "altercation."

I think they're being pretty generous in offering to pay for 1/2 the coat or fixing the zipper. If your vanity requires a new coat, why not take the 1/2 the coat funds and then fix the zipper and sell the old one? That should cover a good portion of the replacement cost.

and get the jacket fixed. How do you know how it will look before you try? If it's not "perfect" enough for you then donate it. I'm sure someone would love a new warm coat. Or keep it home for a spare.

Then if need be I would buy a new one.

I agree that your son probably had more to do with it then he's letting on.

I'm assuming it was a North Face? If it's LLBean or LE they will replace it for free.

I wouldn't have asked either. Honestly, I have good kids, but I would have had trouble believing that he was completely innocent. You're very lucky that you are dealing with parents that are admitting thier son isn't blameless.

There are three sides to every story, your child's side, the other child's side, and the truth. I would look at it as 'boys being boys' and not take a penny from the other family.

There are three sides to every story, your child's side, the other child's side, and the truth. I would look at it as 'boys being boys' and not take a penny from the other family.

ITA!!!! might be a good idea not to have kids play at recess in expensive jackets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter