• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD - offsite or a value

MrsDanielle

Mouseketeer
Trying to get some opinions here!

Going to WDW with my mom (first holiday we’ve taken together since December 2019) for a week in March.

I’m a DVC owner, so I booked six nights at my home resort (SS), but unsure of what to do on our arrival night.

We land at MCO at 9:00 pm, so I didnt want to waste DVC points on a partial day. I currently have a hotel on Hotel Plaza Blvd booked, but I’m debating whether we should stay onsite that first night at a value. I did a price comparison, and that offsite hotel is pretty much the same price as All-Star Music.

Would there be an advantage to staying onsite? That offsite hotel is so close to SS that I wonder if I should just keep it…

For now, we don’t have anything planned for our first full day, so I’m not concerned with EE.

Thoughts ?

When I travel with my older parents what has turned out to be one of the more tiring things for them is luggage hauling, so I vote All-Star Music so you can have Disney transfer your bags to SSR.

If you want to haul your own bags/don't want to wait until 5pm for your bags I would go with whatever is the nicer room.

Would you or your Mom want to sleep asap after landing? We usually stay at the airport Hyatt if we are arriving on a later flight, and just grab an Uber to our Disney hotel the next day.

Otherwise it sounds like the on site and off site are about the same. I’d go with whichever one you like better, whether that’s amenities or cost.

@gottalovepluto and @SleeplessInTO Ty both for your responses !

I checked out the prices for the Hyatt airport and they’re a bit high (over 500 Canadian for my night). Hoping to stick to a budget of around $200 USD for that night, but definitely thank you for that tip!

Good question - not sure how tired she’ll be after our flight! It’s a direct flight from Canada, and I splurged for business class to ensure she’s as comfortable as possible. Hopefully the extra room and comfort will provide her with the rest she’ll need so she’s not completely exhausted the following day. Even if she’s tired, I’m completely fine spending the day relaxing.

Things to think about for sure. Thank you. :)

I'd stay onsite, like @gottalovepluto said, they will transfer your luggage for you if needed. Much easier than doing it yourself. Plus, some of the hotels on Hotel Plaza Boulevard have resort fees they don't always tell you about. May make it almost the same cost. And you can take direct transportation from an All Star to a park or DS while waiting for you room at SSR to be ready. Get into "the bubble" as soon as you can! 🤣

Are you both the type to be okay with moving hotels? And are okay with not unpacking it all but getting just what you need out of the luggage for the night?

My husband and I would totally stay where the cost and location worked out but we'd also have a rental car in this situation so we wouldn't have a problem staying at either place. I'd lean towards staying closer to SSR if your goal is to get to SSR early the next day to settle in or at least drop off luggage to be retrieved earlier in the day than Disney luggage services would. I'd lean towards All-Star Music if your plan the next day is get up and get to the parks early and what luggage you have isn't vital for getting into and you're okay relying on luggage services to do that switch and delivery to your room.

I would book SSR for the arrival night and save the trouble of moving in the morning. It’s worth the extra money and points for me. Arrive to SSR, unpack, get to sleep and wake up ready to hit the parks without dealing with packing back up and moving.
I just looked into this option, but I’m out of points for 2023 and 2024 (had to borrow for this vacation).

I would book SSR for the arrival night and save the trouble of moving in the morning. It’s worth the extra money and points for me. Arrive to SSR, unpack, get to sleep and wake up ready to hit the parks without dealing with packing back up and moving.
The more I think about this, the more I think you’re right. Especially with an elderly person on board.

We brought my mother on her first WDW trip when she was 92. (In fact, we stayed at SSR!) It was a lot of work, and a different type of vacation than with just the kids or just adults. Make it easy on yourselves.

The cash option is definitely something I thought about, but the cost is way out of budget. So it’s really either offsite or a value for us.

Unfortunately, I’ve used my one-time points allocation, so it’s not an option.

Can you try renting points on the rent/trade board? You’re within 7 months so you can usually get a good deal on SSR points.

I’ve read reports of folks having two separate reservations on points and being able to stay in the same room.

Thank you guys for your input. The more I think about it, the more I think we’ll just stick to the offsite hotel. As much as I’d love to add another night at SSR, it’s just not in my budget.

That first morning, we will sleep in, and enjoy the day lounging at the pool or whatever tickles her fancy. We can check into SSR at her leisure, I am not concerned if we do not hit a park on that first day.

She is a healthy 71 year old with no mobility problems, but I plan on doing activities based on her energy level and speed. But to be perfectly honest, she often tends to outlast me! :)

The cash option is definitely something I thought about, but the cost is way out of budget. So it’s really either offsite or a value for us.

You can also check Priceline. Sometimes they have extra rooms to sell and you can get a good deal.

Can you try renting points on the rent/trade board? You’re within 7 months so you can usually get a good deal on SSR points.

I’ve read reports of folks having two separate reservations on points and being able to stay in the same room.

I just checked the DVC availability site, on the night of our arrival (March 3) only preferred studios are available. We are booked in a standard studio for the 6 subsequent nights. So even if I booked SSR that first night, we’d still have to switch rooms from a preferred location to a standard.

Thank you for the idea though!

I would either rent points from someone on this sight or look into either the Coronado or POFQ.

Sorry, but the value and off-property just aren't my thing....

I used to use lots of Hilton points at the BV tower, but I watched the property decline,
even before Covid. I haven't been back since,

Maybe if the price was right, it would be worth a try....

I think you’ll be absolutely fine! While it’s nice to land where you’re gonna stay it’s not always the best choice. I arrive later in the evening from CA to WDW (don’t do overnight flights if I don’t have to!) and paying hundreds of dollars for the hotel I really want for our trip is usually not stomach-able for arrival night even when traveling with parents (granted they are not 90+ yet).

Funny, I recently found out starting with a pool day turned out to be the ideal way for my parents to start a WDW trip! It gives them a chance to try to get into vacay mode & give their bodies a break from travel.

Last edited:
I'd stay offsite. It fits your budget the best. If you have to check out by 11am and your room at SSR isn't ready early, throw everything into the car and have a leisurely lunch at Disney Springs or one of the resort hotels. Eat, roam, shop... and your room will be ready for you to check in!

Hopefully you know that parking/resort fees are added to the cost not mentioned in the room cost. I have a real aversion to paying these costs. I found a Fairfield Inn/Suites with great reviews in LBV that charges neither for the night before we check into OKW next month. I tried so hard to find something onsite, but the prices are quite high, even for a Value, so close to Christmas. Have a wonderful time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter