• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD If You Found Money in a Theme Park???

If you turn it in to lost and found most likely it would never get logged.

I can guarantee you that it would be logged. And in most cases, when someone loses $100 or more, they do come to Lost and Found to inquire about the money. Money is returned daily. Just an FYI, at Universal, you as a guest can put a claim on the money and if the rightful owner doesn't claim it in 90 days, you will get it. Otherwise, after 90 days, the money goes to charity.

Any time some-one in my family finds money I report it to customer service. I do not leave the money or tell the attendants how much I found. Instead, I leave my name and cell # and tell them to call if anyone shows up looking for lost $. So far, no-one has ever called.

Yep. This is exactly what I would do. I've heard that often when you turn in cash, the worker simply pockets the money. I'd figure I'd return it to the rightful owner or keep it. Maybe do something nice with it for someone?

I once found a wallet at Disney Quest and I almost wish I'd kept it. When I found it, I detoured to tell my child where I was going, before I went to the front desk. I'm sorry. I wasn't going to leave where I said I would be for anything. I just don't do that. Then I hurried to tell them what I had found and the man who it belonged to was standing at the desk. I was going to give them his name and my cell number...wanting to get it back to the correct person. I thought I'd just put it in my purse until he called as I didn't want anything to happen to his cash...there was a lot in the wallet. When I saw him (and recognized him from his ID) I simply asked him if he had lost his wallet. He snatched it angrily from my fingers, searched inside to see if his money was still there (which of course it was) and stalked away. No thank you. No wow, I appreciate your honesty. He didn't even smile at me. Like I did something wrong by picking it up and returning it to him? Made me almost wish I'd helped myself, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the money knowing it belonged to someone else.

"WWYD If You Found Money in a Theme Park???"

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in [Disney World] anymore."

I thought of another time. When my kids were young, we went to Galveston and spent a day at the Moody Gardens. While we were there I found a camera bag with a really fancy camera. No ID. I went to the desk and showed them what I'd found and asked what they did to get lost/found items returned to the righful owner. They said they log the information and if unclaimed for (I can't remember the exact length of time), it's returned to the finder. They took my name and phone number. All day, I watched people around me, hoping to see someone using the camera. As we passed the desk a few hours later, I stopped and asked if it had been claimed. The girl at the desk was different. She looked at the log and said no cameras had been logged in that day at all. My info was not there either. So I feel sure that girl that I talked to the first time pocketed the camera. It made me suspicious of all lost and founds.

Buy me some extra souveniers!!! YEE HA!!!! :banana:

I have found money - a few times ...a wallet in CB food court, an entire purse at AK, and then that same day - a diaper bag, filllllled with other stuff, (wallet, camera)

So, I sold it all on eBay.

Kidding (im feeling goofy tonight) - turned it all in.

And the wallet one had $600 cash in it... I was so worried maybe the CM would be dishonest (Im from the city,...forgive me) I even took down the guys name, called the resort, was transferred to his room and let him know I turned it in and to whom. :rotfl:

Well, seeing as how I lost my wallet with all my cash and credit cards at Disneyland in June (on Indiana Jones) and it was all turned in and all there, I would return the favor. I would have been in big trouble, as it was a vacation for just me and my daughter (I'm a single mom) and that was ALL I had on vacation.

I can guarantee you that it would be logged. And in most cases, when someone loses $100 or more, they do come to Lost and Found to inquire about the money. Money is returned daily. Just an FYI, at Universal, you as a guest can put a claim on the money and if the rightful owner doesn't claim it in 90 days, you will get it. Otherwise, after 90 days, the money goes to charity.

OK, so here's my story.

After a minute or two of soul searching, I remembered that DD14 and DD19 were looking at me to see what I would do, and I was compelled to DO THE RIGHT THING. So, we asked the attendant at Shrek where we should go to turn in money we found. His suggestion was for us to keep it. He suggested it twice, but when I said I'd really rather turn it in, he directed us to Lost and Found. Along the way, we got lost and when we explained to another employee where we needed to go and why, he suggested we keep it, too. Actually, what they both said was, "You can just keep it if you want." Anyway, I digress. We got to Lost and Found, logged in the money, and were told the same thing as above - after 90 days it's yours if no one claims it.

So, in October I called and left a message, which wasn't returned. I called again in November and talked to an emplyee who told me that it probably had been donated to charity, but someone would call me back. A few days later, I called and left my name and number for a manager to call me back. No one ever did.

So, this week I'm thinking I'll give it one more try just to follow up so I can come on the DIS and tell the whole story, and voila!!! in yesterday's mail was a check from Universal for $100!!!!!!

So, we did the right thing and DD14 has a hundred bucks burning a hole in her pocket. Because after all that, I told her if we did get it back it was hers to keep. I think she is planning a major assault on the shopping center tomorrow, and good for her!!!!

Of course, I'd be ticked off if I hadn't gotten it back, but all's well that ends well. I just couldn't get the picture of some dad realizing he had lost his cash and couldn't do something for his kids out of my mind - that's really why I turned it in, hoping he would go to Lost and Found and get it back right away. But, since that didn't happen, I'm glad we got to keep it!!!!

How come DD14 gets $100 and DD19 gets zip? It's a rude question to ask so if you ignore it I won't be offended in any way.

I was wondering if you were a saint or going to hell (because it all hinges on this, you know ;) ) but I figured you had to be a saint or you'd have had a death wish posting it here. :rotfl:

That's about right on the timeline. After 90 days, a form is submitted for the check to be sent. It usually takes about 6 weeks for the check to be mailed as it goes through another department (not lost and found). Christmas holidays may have slowed the process down somewhat,

I would always turn the money in, no matter how small of an amount it is. I see too many upset people. One girl lost a ziplock baggy with her money. She was there on a school trip and had no money for food or drinks. The money was turned in by another guest who had carried it around all day and turned it in on their way out of the park that night. That poor girl had come to lost and found crying at least 5 times that day hoping her money was found. She did get it back though but it would have saved a lot of heartache if it had been turned in when it was first found.

In August 2006 a wallet was turned in to us at Guest Relations at Typhoon Lagoon. We opened it and found over $1,200 in cash in it. It also had a photo ID. We contacted Base Operations and they paged the person on the Park PA System. He came to us and was not even aware he had lost the wallet. He thought that his wife had it but apparantly it had been in the back pocket of his trunks and been knocked out in the Wave Pool.

How come DD14 gets $100 and DD19 gets zip? It's a rude question to ask so if you ignore it I won't be offended in any way.

I was wondering if you were a saint or going to hell (because it all hinges on this, you know ;) ) but I figured you had to be a saint or you'd have had a death wish posting it here. :rotfl:

DD14 gets it because she was the one who found it, and also because DD19 is usually pretty flush with cash, between her allowance and her part-time job. I'll have to ask her whether she thinks it should be shared, but I know DD19 will say her sister should have it all.

If it were an issue at all, I'd make them share it, or I'd spend it on something the family wanted and could use together. They are both pretty well stocked with material possessions after birthdays and Christmas, though, so I'm pretty sure DD14 will just spend it on clothes. Plus, DD19 is on a school trip right now to Spain and she got cash for her trip, so she's doing her part to help the Spanish economy while her younger sister is keeping the mall in business...

I've had over $17,000 turned in by a team member who cleaned the restroom. It was in a fanny pack. The family had already left the park before they realized it was missing.

I've had over $17,000 turned in by a team member who cleaned the restroom. It was in a fanny pack. The family had already left the park before they realized it was missing.

SEVENTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN CASH???????????:scared1:

SEVENTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS IN CASH???????????:scared1:
Yes, cash (all $100 bills), passports and a cellphone. They were in the parking lot leaving before they noticed. We did try to contact them via their other cellphone but the other cellphone wouldn't accept international calls (they were from Holland.) I had already called their hotel and left a message. Luckily they and their money were reunited.

Yes, cash (all $100 bills), passports and a cellphone. They were in the parking lot leaving before they noticed. We did try to contact them via their other cellphone but the other cellphone wouldn't accept international calls (they were from Holland.) I had already called their hotel and left a message. Luckily they and their money were reunited.

Oh, my God!! You'd have been able to locate me, all right - I'd have been the one down on the ground in full cardiac arrest as soon as I noticed it was missing. Haven't those people ever heard of a safe?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter