WWYD: Ebay Item Listed As NWT Reeks of Cigarette Smoke *UPDATE 8/24*

Open a SNAD (significantly not as described case with ebay). The seller will have a week to respond. If he still won't resolve it to your satisfaction, you then have ebay decide the case. Usually in SNAD cases, they find in favor of the buyer and they will usually give you a pre-paid shipping label to send the item back. Once delivered you will get your total cost (price plus shipping back).

Based on my old EBay buying experience (mostly dolls, some clothes) if the listing doesn't specify "non-smoking home", I presume the item has been exposed to tobacco smoke of some type - even if it's in the original box or new with tags. Even when it's described as perfect, since the seller can't reasonably be expected to be responsible for or even aware of buyers' medical issues.

So it sounds like this transaction wouldn't qualify as SNAD. I've been wrong before, though :).

I don't equate "new" with not having a smoky smell. An item can be brand new and sit in a home that has heavy smokers. That being said, if you have an issue with cigarette smoke, it should be a question you ask a seller. I would hate receiving an item with a strong smoke smell, but if I had a problem with scents, I would ask ahead of time or only chose sellers that clearly state a non-smoking home.

As far as that seller is concerned, there is no such thing as non-returnable on Ebay. If you sell on Ebay, you are forced to take returns via Ebay's/PayPal's policies. And any seller that says otherwise are not too bright or are uniformed.

You can file a SNAD complaint and get a refund. But you will have to return the item to the seller. A smart seller never lets it go that far because each complaint filed on their selling account counts against them as a seller.

Something new from Macys could reek like perfume, would you feel the same way if it was perfume instead of smoke?

First, perfume is different, because even the worst perfume doesn't smell as bad as stale cigarette smoke, nor does it linger as long. Second, I've never actually bought anything at Macy's (or any other department store) that I could say "reeked."

I guess this is a lesson learned! I always ask a seller if the item is from a smoke free home if it is not listed on the listing.

I would simply wash the item. If washing does not remove the odor put the shorts in a bag and add to the bad a couple of charcoal lumps. But put the charcoal in an empty butter containor with holes pooked in the lid. Tie the bag shut and leave it for a few days. Rewash and the smell should be gone.

Sorry OP, but I think the seller is right. New means unwashed and unworn.

I agree with this.

I really still don't understand why you didn't just wash it. Cig. smell goes away with washing.

He probably just agreed to quit dealing with you and am glad you are happy, but I think he was right.

First, perfume is different, because even the worst perfume doesn't smell as bad as stale cigarette smoke, nor does it linger as long. Second, I've never actually bought anything at Macy's (or any other department store) that I could say "reeked."

but for some, perfume is a very quick and deadly trigger, which certainly does linger. also, you may personally feel "even the worst perfume doesn't smell as bad as stale cigarette smoke" but for some, that statement doesn't hold true. i find many perfumes are not only offensive, but will cause an attack quickly (especially on clothing in a closed box, as OP's item was).

btw, i've often found clothing (at macy's, L&T, ann taylor, gap, and other retailers) that "reeked" from perfume (and heavy cooking smells - yuk). so yes, i agree with PP that smoke and perfume are comparable - maybe not for you, but for others. :)

but for some, perfume is a very quick and deadly trigger, which certainly does linger. also, you may personally feel "even the worst perfume doesn't smell as bad as stale cigarette smoke" but for some, that statement doesn't hold true. i find many perfumes are not only offensive, but will cause an attack quickly (especially on clothing in a closed box, as OP's item was).

So you've smelled a perfume that's worse than stale cigarette smoke? I must know what it is!!! :eek:

btw, i've often found clothing (at macy's, L&T, ann taylor, gap, and other retailers) that "reeked" from perfume (and heavy cooking smells - yuk). so yes, i agree with PP that smoke and perfume are comparable - maybe not for you, but for others. :)

It's still not a good analogy unless you walk up the cash register at Macy's and say "I'd like a pair of khaki shorts please" and they hand them to you in a bag. If you're shopping and you find a pair that reeks, you can move onto the next one (and you can probably smell them long before you get to the point where the odor is strong enough to be offensive or physically harmful).

If you were happy with the price of the shorts, I also don't understand why you didn't try washing them (maybe a couple times). Back in my younger days, I'd go out to bars with friends and would come home REEKING of smoke (as would all my clothes). A simple trip through the washing machine pretty much took care of it.

In fact, I'd wash and THEN hang outside to dry.

So you've smelled a perfume that's worse than stale cigarette smoke? I must know what it is!!! :eek:

them, not it :)
again, it is personal - not everyone finds the same things offensive - i personally find most cheaper perfumes significantly worse (since i don't know what you and/or someone else might own or wear, i will not name a specific brand). and note the "personally" (just as that you have your personalopinion), although i know others that feel/have the same physical reaction as i do.

and i would not (nor would anyone i know) walk into any store and ask for any item to be put in a bag :confused3
btw, this is about ebay, not a B&M :rolleyes:

Sorry OP, but I think the seller is right. New means unwashed and unworn.

To me "new" and "perfect" means it doesn't stink really, really bad. I wouldn't buy any 'new' items at any store that stank.....

I'm glad you are satisfied OP. You are nicer than me, I would have asked him to pay shipping. But, again really glad it worked out.:thumbsup2:)

I opened a SNAD about 2 weeks ago - package arrived ripped open and 40% of items missing. Ebay gave me a pre-paid label - it cost me nothing to ship back.

that must fall then under the unusual circumstances that ebay states on the link provided

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to strong smells - and some perfumes almost make me feel as though I am going to pass out. I'm not joking, or being overly ridiculous, I promise.

FAKE smells are the absolute worst!

Sensual Amber from Bath and Body Works is the quintessential definition of a FAKE smell.

Typically fruit, spice, or natural smells do not bother me - however Midnight Pomegranate is another smell that is so fake that it has almost made me vomit before.

Stale cigarette smoke is one of the WORST smells on the face of the earth. It smells dirty, earthy, and downright rank.

I think the onus is on the SELLER to label their products for sale as being from a home/business and the products that come out of their home/business as having been exposed to odors (tobacco, perfume, cooking odors etc)

The majority of Americans do not smoke, bathe in cologne, or deep fry every meal in their home..... right next to the items they sell on e-bay!

Smokers do not understand how offensive their odor is to others. The fact that it clings on clothes, hair, accessories is lost on some people. Just like people that walk to work in hot weather don't understand that they don't smell of body odor, they just have a smell about them that is not fresh - or neutral. THEN, there are the ones that bathe in AXE or similar body sprays.

For people with a very acute sense of smell, it can be absolute torture to go to the mall, out to eat, to the movies etc.

Powdery perfumes give me an instant headache - and sometimes a migraine at that.

Oil based perfumes are FAR worse than alcohol based perfumes. The alcohol evaporates very quickly - in less than two hours - leaving behind only a very slight scent. Oil based perfumes cling for HOURS - DAYS.

No lie, there are some perfumes that are so strong I can taste them instantly.... and for tobacco odors - it is the same, especially if something has been closed up or stored.

If I were the OP I would either provide very negative feedback - with very justified statements - and soak the garment in a light vinegar solution, and wash them twice! Be sure of warning others that things smell horrible from the seller!

He will automatically get his Paypal fees back when he issues a refund as long as he processes it as a refund from the original transaction and doesn't send you money in a separate transaction.

Actually, I've had a different experience. I had a negative account balance for sending a refund once....and I didn't send it as a second transaction I just clicked on the refund button. Paypal now says that someone has to pay the fees....so they will take them from his account.

Not siding w/ the seller who is a smoker but this is an experience I am in the middle of currently as the Ebay SELLER. I sold this item about a month ago: New NWT Brighton 2005 Power of Pink bracelet watch. The bracelet was new in sealed packaging that I haven't even broken the plastic to check the bracelet watch inside the tin. My description stated: "This item is new in box with all wrappings and tags from a no pets/non smoking household. The plastic wrap around the tin is also included. It has never been used or tested so the watch may need a new battery."

People are so lazy.....she should have just had the battery replaced and then if it still didn't work she could have contacted you. You plainly stated that it probably had a dead battery.....ugghhh, I don't see how anyone puts up with buyers like that.

I have a few things listed on Craigslist right now and I get the same questions day in and day out....do people not read? It has a full description in the listing, and it's not even that long...maybe 50 words LOL so it's not like it's a HUGE novel or something. One lady asked me 5 questions yesterday, all of which were plainly listed in the Craigslist post.....so irritating. Then after all that they offer you less than you listed it at....heck for having to repeat myself over and over and over because you can't read I should charge you more...not give you a discount LOL

To me "new" and "perfect" means it doesn't stink really, really bad. I wouldn't buy any 'new' items at any store that stank.....

I'm glad you are satisfied OP. You are nicer than me, I would have asked him to pay shipping. But, again really glad it worked out.:thumbsup2:)

But this item was not bought at a store. It was bought from an individual on Ebay. If you want to be sure you don't get an item that smells or has pet dander then you need to ASK about it or buy it at a store.

But this item was not bought at a store. It was bought from an individual on Ebay. If you want to be sure you don't get an item that smells or has pet dander then you need to ASK about it or buy it at a store.

Guess we have to agree to disagree - I consider Ebay a form of a store and expect basic decency. As one poster said, is itnow 'buyer beware'? Do we have to ask if they spilled soda on the 'new' item with tags? Same difference to me... it IS still new and DOES still have tags, but now has a big 'ol stain.

And I agree that it is common sense to ask if you have a specific sensitivity but for many of us it's just an issue of wanting an actual 'like new' item when someone advertices such.

If the item was simply unworn and unwashed, they should have advertised it that way. "Like new" means comparable to what I'd see hanging on a rack in the store. And maybe I shop at better stores than some of you, because I've never found clothing reeking of cigarette smoke or anything else at a store.

Actually, I've had a different experience. I had a negative account balance for sending a refund once....and I didn't send it as a second transaction I just clicked on the refund button. Paypal now says that someone has to pay the fees....so they will take them from his account.

In the refund I just processed last week (but this was within the timeframe-maybe 30 days?) I clicked on the refund button. I had a zero Paypal balance so had to have some bank funds transferred over in the exact amount of the refund I needed to give. I can't remember the exact refund given but say it was $35 and I was surprised that after the refund was sent, I had a Paypal balance of $1-something and the amount added to my account was labeled "Fee Reversal from Paypal". Not sure if things were done differently before but this is what happened to me last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter