WWYD: Ebay Item Listed As NWT Reeks of Cigarette Smoke *UPDATE 8/24*

The odor of cigarette smoke will come out after one or two washings.

I'd consider it a lesson learned, and move on. Neutral or negative feedback will get his attention, and he should list things more honestly going forward.

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority on this one but the item was as described - it was unworn and still had its tags on. The seller didn't misrepresent anything, you're just upset that what you read between the lines wasn't the case, and he's right in stating that most sellers that are smoke (and pet) free make a point to advertise that in their item listings, making them very easy for the sensitive to seek out. And it isn't as though you're out the money and holding a useless item. There's a pretty simple remedy for clothes with odors... The washing machine.

Wash the shorts and enjoy them rather than spending your time trying to run down a seller for not specifically stating in each and every listing that someone in his household smokes.

WOW!!!
I'm in shock from reading this thread.
I'm usually super nice but ...

I'm making an exception and putting on "my angry eyes". :mad:

Two things -

One-

I guess that unless you've had an asthma attack, you can't imagine what it feels like. What it feels like when your lungs start to constrict in your chest. When you can't catch your breath. It brings whole new meaning to second hand smoke. And an emergency inhaler is not always able to fix the problem.

Opening that box alone would do that to me.

I have asthma too, and smoke and perfume are huge triggers along with several weird things (bleach, new carpet, bar soap).

If there are smoke filled places I know of, I avoid them. No problem, I won't eat at that restaurant or go to that bar. Plenty of other people will. And there are plenty of other places I can go. I also try to avoid the perfume area in department stores.
Sometimes I can't avoid smoke or perfume (school auditoriums:headache:) and its frustrating & it can be dangerous for me and painful.

I have 3 pet peeves!!!
This is #1. Its #1 because it is my health, and if I don't stand up for myself, who will?

TWO-

As for ebay
So basicallly some of you are saying ebay should be considered buyer beware now???
WOW I don't shop there much, I guess I've just been lucky so far!

He put the word "Perfect" in the description. That should mean something. Does it anymore? IMO its misleading!
The fact that he is aware that some sellers list their home as smoke free means he should be aware that many will think a smoky item is NOT perfect.

Stuff like that turns people away from e-bay & hurts ALL sellers.

What if it smelled like skunk?
Would that be ok or would you be horrified?

Oh wait skunk only washes out with tomato juice, so that would be wrong to call perfect.

This is only cigarette smoke so no big deal, it just contains loads of toxic chemicals, no big deal. Hey, only 60 or so of them are carcinogenic.

Personally if I had to verify that every NEW / PERFECT item was
- not going to reek of smoke, or perfume, or anything else
- or have a mark, or pulled seam, or pet hair on it, or anything else, even though there is a tag
- or been crushed, bent, folded, tied in knots, etc.

then I'd be wary of buying on ebay & stop.

And personally if I were selling something & received a query like that from every potential buyer I wouldn't bother to sell on ebay (not that I list more than a few things a year - and being overly honest, I usually list a little less than I think the item is).

I would definately leave feedback. I'd probably leave neutral & be very matter of fact. As is obvious from reading this thread some people are happy to buy new clothes that smell. The rest of us could make an informed decision. Since the seller won't bother to inform us.

And if I saw something I loved in the store, and there was only one left, and it was an amazing never to be repeated deal and it smelled of smoke or perfume, I would NOT buy it.

Good Luck resolving your issues. I hope you get your money back and the smelly shorts out of the garage. :eek:

I'm thinking you should have asked the seller if they were from a non-smoker house. I would be ticked off as well, as ex smoker with asthma I cant stand the smell of cigarette smoke but would chalk it up to lesson learned. I would wash them a couple times the smoke smell should come out...

WOW!!!

Two things -

One-

I guess that unless you've had an asthma attack, you can't imagine what it feels like. What it feels like when your lungs start to constrict in your chest. When you can't catch your breath. It brings whole new meaning to second hand smoke. And an emergency inhaler is not always able to fix the problem.

I do have asthma and had an attack so bad as a child, I was hospitalized. So I do know what it is like to have an attack and I do understand what it feels like.

And I still stand by what I said. Ebay sellers use the smoke free and pet free designations if they want people to know that information. If someone does NOT use that designation, then one should assume that the household may contain those items. This designation is above and beyond what is required.

WOW!!!

O

If asthma is so bad that opening a box with an odor can cause an asthma attack that I would highly suggest someone not buy from a private seller.....OR specifically ask if they have pets or cigarettes in the home.....if I have a pot pourri smell in my house and the items that I am selling happens to have that scent are you saying that my item is not as described when it's new/never worn, etc.??? That I should loose out on money because it happens to be a scent that you don't like?? :confused:

I agree that the smell of cigarettes on clothing is awful, but it will wash out. I don't know if it would be worth making a big deal about it. I would leave feedback that stated, "Item was new with tags, but came from a home with a smoker. Needed to be washed before wearing."

White vinegar in the rinse cycle gets the smell of cigarette smoke out of clothes. I have horrible allergies and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, so I have to be very careful what I breathe in. Several of my loved ones are smokers and I'm so sensitive that I have to change my clothes as soon as I leave their homes, and put my hair in a ponytail or under a hat so I can't smell the smoke lingering in it until I can get home to shower. It's gotten to the point that we try to meet in public places or outdoors so I don't have to be near the smoke. (unfortunately, I can't always avoid going to my mother's house!) While I do my best to avoid situations where there will be smoke/perfume/chemicals in the air, it's impossible to avoid everything. I didn't even think to check to see if my most recent Ebay purchase was from a smoke free home. If it does arrive tomorrow smelling funky, into the wash it will go.

I think you got what was advertised...new with tags.

As the seller indicated, he never said it was from a smoke-free home.

Just go ahead and give them a good wash or two, and they will be just fine.

You might indicated on his review that they were very smoky, but you can't really say that he didn't give you what was indicated.

I think you got what was advertised...new with tags.

As the seller indicated, he never said it was from a smoke-free home.

Just go ahead and give them a good wash or two, and they will be just fine.

You might indicated on his review that they were very smoky, but you can't really say that he didn't give you what was indicated.

I totally agree.

I have severe asthma. Before I buy any NWT clothing (actually every listing as smoke permiates so badly) I ask if they have cats or smoke... period! If they say yes to either/both, I move on! I have never had anyone lie. Smoke triggers wheezing, cat dander an ER trip as breathing becomes an issue so both of these items are quite important to stay away from for me!

I would not give a negative nor would I expect a refund... the seller did send you NWT clothing as described. I would check "About Me" pages and/or directly as before every purchase from now on if I were you... it helps to avoid surprises!

As for ebay
So basicallly some of you are saying ebay should be considered buyer beware now???

He put the word "Perfect" in the description. That should mean something. Does it anymore? IMO its misleading!
The fact that he is aware that some sellers list their home as smoke free means he should be aware that many will think a smoky item is NOT perfect.

Oh wait skunk only washes out with tomato juice, so that would be wrong to call perfect.

This is only cigarette smoke so no big deal, it just contains loads of toxic chemicals, no big deal. Hey, only 60 or so of them are carcinogenic.

- or have a mark, or pulled seam, or pet hair on it, or anything else, even though there is a tag

And personally if I were selling something & received a query like that from every potential buyer I wouldn't bother to sell on ebay (not that I list more than a few things a year - and being overly honest, I usually list a little less than I think the item is).

I would definately leave feedback. I'd probably leave neutral & be very matter of fact. As is obvious from reading this thread some people are happy to buy new clothes that smell. The rest of us could make an informed decision. Since the seller won't bother to inform us.

And if I saw something I loved in the store, and there was only one left, and it was an amazing never to be repeated deal and it smelled of smoke or perfume, I would NOT buy it.

Good Luck resolving your issues. I hope you get your money back and the smelly shorts out of the garage. :eek:

I've always considered EBay to be a buyer beware site. Anytime you purchase something off the internet, you run some sort of risk. :confused3

But besides that... Sellers advertise if they are smoke/pet-free and if you are that sensitive to those smells, it's your responsibility to inquire. When you shop on EBay, you aren't buying from retail stores. For the most part you are buying from individuals.

Lastly, I won't wear items without washing them first even if they are purchased from a large retail establishment. If you're going to wash them anyway and whatever odor is in them will wash out (we're not talking about skunk here)... what is the problem?

This is why I refuse to waste my time with Ebay. I stopped shopping on Ebay YEARS ago because I was tired of the fights with the sellers.

I would wait to see what the seller responds back with. If the seller won't refund you (and you are being too geneous offering to pay for the shipping), then I would just wash them a few times and not waste another second with Ebay again.

I say wash it and just chalk it up as a lesson to always make sure the auction states "SMOKE FREE HOME"....if it doesn't, contact the seller and ask. Smoke smell will come out in the wash, my mother used to send all my children stuff and she was a smoker and we'd wash it or air it out and voila....smoke smell gone.

This is why I refuse to waste my time with Ebay. I stopped shopping on Ebay YEARS ago because I was tired of the fights with the sellers.

I would wait to see what the seller responds back with. If the seller won't refund you (and you are being too geneous offering to pay for the shipping), then I would just wash them a few times and not waste another second with Ebay again.

SAME here. Never shop on ebay now. Too many bad transactions.

If the item came with tags still attached---it was as described. New means still with tags or unused. That is what you got. Seller never mentioned it was from a smoke free home and you failed to ask, your mistake if it was that important to you--you knew the item was NOT coming from a store, but from a persons house. I have severe asthma too, however, I've found washing items fixes the issue. I would hope you were planning on washing them before wearing anyway. :scared1:

I think you are making a huge deal out of something that could be easily remedied. It would be different if the seller advertised it was from a smoke free home, he didn't. So he really hasn't done anything wrong, you just didn't do your part and check on something that bothers you. Now you know what to ask future sellers.

I think I'd check out his feedback. I'm guessing there are other people who have posted feedback, maybe even positive feedback, that still lists the items as smoky. Always good to check the past feedback.

I wouldn't pursue with the seller. I received a huge toy castle set once that was no joke - a shade darker and a than the other exact set I owned. It also had a horrible gritty feel to it. Not even a soak in bleach would get it out. I chalked it up to lesson learned and now I ask the condition every single time. Ebay's feedback system at the time was very vindictive - you leave negative, you get negative back. If it's improved, maybe a neutral feedback to indicate the disapproval of the term 'perfect' to describe smoke-damaged clothing would be a course of action to help other bidders.

I list all my ebay items as 'from a non-smoking home'. But I don't mention anything about pets and never thought to even mention I have cats. I think I've had one or two messages asking if I had pets, and I always respond truthfully. But I don't think you're going to find anyone on eBay who is going to add negative points to their listings.

Update:

He agreed that I had a point about the item not being "perfect" as listed and will accept the return and refund the purchase price.

He gets his merchandise back, which he can re-sell. Just adding $1 to his Buy It Now price will pretty much recoup his Ebay and PayPal fees.

I will pay the shipping and told him I'd provide him with positive feedback for his excellent customer service. I figure the cost of the shipping will fall under the category "lesson learned" and serve as a good reminder to ALWAYS ask about the smoke situation.

Oh...and I also learned that for future shopping excursions, I will also always, always remember to shop with merchants who have liberal return policies!

Not siding w/ the seller who is a smoker but this is an experience I am in the middle of currently as the Ebay SELLER. I sold this item about a month ago: New NWT Brighton 2005 Power of Pink bracelet watch. The bracelet was new in sealed packaging that I haven't even broken the plastic to check the bracelet watch inside the tin. My description stated: "This item is new in box with all wrappings and tags from a no pets/non smoking household. The plastic wrap around the tin is also included. It has never been used or tested so the watch may need a new battery." Buyer's reponse was: "received watch today, however it does not work! Item is not as stated. I am requesting my money back." I wrote:" I'm very sorry the watch does not work. I did state in the description of the item, " It has never been used or tested so the watch may need a new battery." As you know, the plastic was sealed so I never opened the item to test. Have you had the battery replaced and it still does not work? I do state "no returns" in the auction however if you truly want a refund I want a happy buyer so if you mail the item back insured I will refund after receipt less all shipping charges." Buyers reply: "Ok.I will leave bad feedback. You sell item doesn't work. You reap what you sew." I ended up chatting/calling Ebay b/c even after I offered the refund, they were threatening me with bad feedback. Maybe they wanted me to pay the shipping both ways too? My item was as described but perhaps the buyer did not read the description closely and when they saw it was NWT/New it was working like it would be if it was from the store. This item is new but is 6 years old so the battery might no longer work. I sold an identical item to another buyer and they had no issues with it. This buyer did return the item with a slightly dented tin on the corner but maybe it was like that when I sent it. I issued the refund (less shipping) and some days later the buyer sends me another message saying that they haven't gotten the refund. I ended up calling Paypal and all was fine on my end but since she paid by credit card it could take 10 to 15 days to process. So hopefully this is the last I hear from this buyer. I haven't gotten bad feedback from her but she hasn't left good feedback either. I can see her side where if she expected the item to be in perfect working order (since it was new) then she doesn't want to go through the trouble of getting the battery replaced. And she is probably not happy about having to pay shipping to/from for an item she returned. But from my point of view, I did accurately describe the item. Some Ebay sellers may state that they are not smoke-free or pet-free but I believe that would turn many buyers away so I bet more leave it out. For a $20 item I would probably keep it and be done w/ it. The seller could have been nicer about it but they did state, "No returns."

Just read the update that the smoker decided to accept the refund. Glad to hear about it. He will automatically get his Paypal fees back when he issues a refund as long as he processes it as a refund from the original transaction and doesn't send you money in a separate transaction. If he files a case w/ Ebay and requests to cancel the transaction and the buyer agrees to the cancellation, Ebay fees will immediately be refunded. The buyer is only out his time and trouble to re-sell the item.

WOW!!!

Two things -

One-

Opening that box alone would do that to me.

I have asthma too, and smoke and perfume are huge triggers along with several weird things (bleach, new carpet, bar soap).

If there are smoke filled places I know of, I avoid them. No problem, I won't eat at that restaurant or go to that bar. Plenty of other people will. And there are plenty of other places I can go. I also try to avoid the perfume area in department stores.
Sometimes I can't avoid smoke or perfume (school auditoriums:headache:) and its frustrating & it can be dangerous for me and painful.

I have 3 pet peeves!!!
This is #1. Its #1 because it is my health, and if I don't stand up for myself, who will?

TWO-

As for ebay

I'm very sorry that you have this issue to deal with, but to me it seems you would want to be assured that you would not buy from a smoker. I am a former smoker and have become sensitive to smoke (no where near an asthma attack, but it does cause burning in my eyes, nose, and throat). I always check listings from private sellers. If it doesn't say smoke free, I assume it is not and move on.

Ebay is ABSOLUTELY a buyer beware site. Fraud is committed by people everywhere. Fake merchandise and event tickets that aren't valid are sold every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter