WWYD... Deluxe or DVC 1BR with toddler?

Belleandbear

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am planning a trip for Marathon Weekend in January with DH (who is running the half and full marathons) and 2yo DD. [Edited to add: we are planning to stay 6 nights] I booked a room at POFQ, thinking that we will either stay there or upgrade to a deluxe if a discount comes out for our dates. I think we'd be happy with POFQ even if we can't upgrade. We have friends staying at BC, so we'd probably move to the Epcot resort area if we were able to upgrade.

I keep second guessing whether we should instead rent DVC points for a 1BR. It would probably have to be OKW or SSR as we are coming up on the 7 month mark now and I don't expect there will be many other choices in our budget. The extra space would be nice to have because DD still takes naps and DH will be waking up at 3 AM two days in a row for his races. On the other hand, I have read that you really need a car if you stay at these resorts (we will not). And there's the whole "no cancellations" thing, which is dicey when traveling with a toddler.

WWYD? I think I would really like to stay at a Deluxe and that's why I'm reluctant to book with DVC. But there is no guarantee of a discount coming out, and the extra space is compelling. Is the transportation from OKW/SSR really that bad?

Last edited:
If you stay at OKW or SSR, you can take the bus to the start of the race. You just have to get the bus around 3AM though. And you have to walk to the check in area to catch the bus. It won't go around the resort like the Disney buses do. And if you stay at the BC or another Epcot resort, you'll still have to take a bus to the start. You cannot walk from there to the start.

For the rest of the time, the bus systems are pretty good at SSR and OKW. They don't go to any other resorts, just the one. They enter the resort, make a few stops and then exit the resort. I've never had a problem with a bus at OKW or SSR.

The washer and dryer in your villa to wash those stinky running clothes will be a big perk. You don't have to go home with smelling clothes in your suitcase. And with the baby, that is also a perk.

WWID? I would rent the points and get travel insurance! That will cover your no cancellations concerns.
If you don't think DH's early AM would disturb DD too much I'd go with a deluxe. My kids were super light sleepers and I wouldn't want them to be disturbed! Not sure how you'd work it out though? Have DH sleep on the couch in the living room on his race days?

1 bedroom because you'll have a kitchen and washing facilities. Plus you can put the tot in a different room to sleep.

With your short stay, I would stay at POFQ or a Deluxe if that becomes available with a discount.

I would recommend the Swan or Dolphin. It's in the Boardwalk area but at a lower price point. No Disney Magical Express so you might have to rent a car. We stayed at the Swan for the Princess Half a few years ago and loved it. I know it wasn't in your list of hotels, but it might be worth a look.

Good luck!

What about a standard view studio at the Polynesian? It's still available for Marathon week and it's about 102 vacation points for 6 days or $1326 for 6 nights. That's a comparable price for your POFQ room at rack rate.

Hi! I am planning a trip for Marathon Weekend in January with DH (who is running the half and full marathons) and 2yo DD. [Edited to add: we are planning to stay 6 nights] I booked a room at POFQ, thinking that we will either stay there or upgrade to a deluxe if a discount comes out for our dates. I think we'd be happy with POFQ even if we can't upgrade. We have friends staying at BC, so we'd probably move to the Epcot resort area if we were able to upgrade.

I keep second guessing whether we should instead rent DVC points for a 1BR. It would probably have to be OKW or SSR as we are coming up on the 7 month mark now and I don't expect there will be many other choices in our budget. The extra space would be nice to have because DD still takes naps and DH will be waking up at 3 AM two days in a row for his races. On the other hand, I have read that you really need a car if you stay at these resorts (we will not). And there's the whole "no cancellations" thing, which is dicey when traveling with a toddler.

WWYD? I think I would really like to stay at a Deluxe and that's why I'm reluctant to book with DVC. But there is no guarantee of a discount coming out, and the extra space is compelling. Is the transportation from OKW/SSR really that bad?

I would keep your current reservation at POFQ and watch for a discount for the BC. Plus, as PP suggested you could check out the Swan/Dolphin rate for your time to see if it is as good as the rate at POFQ for your dates. (Be sure to look at discounts that you may be eligible for.) If the Swan/Dolphin is as good as POFQ, then I would switch to the Swan or Dolphin. You still need to check for discounts for the BC/ YC or BWI as these provide DME and a few other perks not available at the Swan/Dolphin. Also, keep checking the Swan/Dolphin website as discounts sometimes appear there and can be applied to your reservation with a simple telephone call (1-800-828-8850).

I am not a fan of the restrictions on renting DVC points. Stuff happens and reservations have to be changed. I am uncomfortable with unchangeable / non refundable situations. So, if I were booking DVC, I would be paying through WDW reservations with a RO discount.

I think having a 1BR depends on your needs more than anything else. Race transportation will get you where you need to be, and with a race weekend you may be finding the adults are ready for sleep at the same time the kiddo is. I'm not as familiar with those resorts, but we have had very specific reasons for wanting a 1BR in the past. First, we were traveling with one, and then two, very small children. We liked having the bedroom to put them to sleep while we stayed awake later at night in the living area playing games or watching TV. Second, we used cloth diapers 100% of the time, so having a washer/dryer in the room was important. It was also nice that we didn't have to pack as many clothes since we could just wash and re-wear. Third, when we traveled with another couple the 1BR and 2BR were the only options without getting separate rooms. The kitchenette was handy, but we usually spent full days out at the park, so the kitchen was only useful for quick breakfasts and baking a tray of cookies for dessert (and when we ordered groceries it was a roomier fridge than a regular hotel fridge).

Now that my kids are a little older (and out of diapers) we don't have as much "need" for DVC properties. We all come back to the room at night completely pooped, so everyone is going to bed at the same time. We don't need to wash any clothes, and we didn't use the kitchen heavily anyhow...so we go with what works/where we want/price we want.

Renting DVC points can really save money and in some cases costs less than a regular room reservation booked the traditional way. Typically we like renting DVC, but we usually can't make plans so far in advance anyhow because of restrictions involving work...We end up checking for point rentals within 2 months of travel. Sometimes the points exist; sometimes they don't and we have to book the "traditional" way. If you are worried about them being non-refundable you should be really sure about it, or maybe have a friend who can take your reservation if you are unable to make it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter