WWYD Car accident

I would give them the $500 instead of filing a claim with my insurance that will in turn raise my rates. I've seen it done before. Little fender benders. I live in NJ where insurance rates are sky high. I prefer to handle it without insurance.

I just find it strange they want won;t give us any info or want a police report. If it was me I would.
Who knows why?
The great thing about insurance is you don't have to be (and shouldn't be) in contact with the other party. I thought @NHdisneylover said it perfectly at the end of her post #16. Best way to handle it if they show up again. ::yes::

Most of the time folks do what works for them. There is likely a reason they don't want to share info or involve the police.
That said, the great thing about insurance is you don't have to be (and shouldn't be) in contact with the other party. I thought @NHdisneylover said it perfectly at the end of her post #16. Best way to handle it if they show up again. ::yes::

They probably don't want their rates to go up. That would be my reasoning.

You call your insurance company. They pay for the repair. You pay the deductible.

However, your rates will most likely go up.
not necessarily. It depends on many factors - the company, your driving record, if you have any other claims, your credit rating, if you have other policies with them etc etc.

I had an issue where I hit the mirror of someone. Got the police report. Submitted to insurance. No issues. Rates did not go up. In fact we still have our good driver deductible waiver.

They probably don't want their rates to go up. That would be my reasoning.
I edited my post because I wasn't clear. The other party has already mentioned taking them to court. That's a big thing to bring up.
That's different than 2 parties who mutually decide they'd like to exchange cash and call it a day.
I wouldn't do that, but it's a personal choice.

It sounds to me like they have something to hide. Most people would want you to call the cops, when it's your fault. Occasionally, you meet a nice person that won't require it, but they don't run when you mention calling the cops. The fact that they won't give you any contact info & will only accept cash makes it even more suspicious. Do you know an insurance agent (not yours) that you could ask about your situation? When you report it, your premium may go up, even if they don't file a claim. I think @Klayfish works in auto insurance. Maybe, he could give some advice. Regardless, I wouldn't expect to see these nameless, police dodging, cash only people in court.

If they want cash it's possible to get it. I've mentioned my situation where my car was hit and the other driver took off. The damage is cosmetic, but fairly extensive.

I've taken the car into the insurance company's local service center, and they came up with an estimate of repair costs. I was told our uninsured motorist coverage applies, and we can ask for a check if we want.

I don't see why they couldn't do the same with your insurance company unless there's something they're trying to hide.

Oh and police reports are worthless. Last I heard, unless someone has been injured or killed, the police don't even want you calling them for fender benders.

When I had my little crash (a non-injury hit and run) I called the police in the city where it happened. I was told that if insurance required it, I could walk into any police station in the city and ask for a report to be taken. It wouldn't have been the detailed reports that I've seen for injury or more serious crashes. It would also have been pretty useless other than to include my name and vehicle info in some official document. There's no way they would have sent anyone to the site though.

They realize that some people need pro-forma police reports for insurance purposes and will oblige. I know one city that barely responds to burglary reports and has an online self-reporting form that will result in a report within a few days. They don't really do much though.

Oh and police reports are worthless. Last I heard, unless someone has been injured or killed, the police don't even want you calling them for fender benders.

This may be true in your state, but not in mine. And it may "look" like a fender bender, but there could be hidden damage. And don't ever take a cop or anyone word about how much damage it looks like, leave it up to the body shop.

This may be true in your state, but not in mine. And it may "look" like a fender bender, but there could be hidden damage. And don't ever take a cop or anyone word about how much damage it looks like, leave it up to the body shop.

Most police around here won't show up. I've tried and was told they wouldn't if there were no injuries - even though it was clear the damage was over the statutory minimum to require a collision report.

My son backed into somebody. A little dent was over $1000 estimate at the body shop. We had thought about just paying cash, but not that much. Also, the person who was sitting in the car was not the owner (her mom was) and was a pain to deal with. Much easier to say, here is our insurance, you can talk to them! Our rate did not go up, thank goodness!

This might be long. Please bear with me.

Okay, the weekend of Halloween my husband backed into someone parked directly behind him. He just didn't see them. It was a guest of one of our neighbors. So he went over to tell them. He told them he was going to call the police get an accident report. They took off before he made it back home. So fast forward to last Friday. They came knocking saying they would turn it in to their insurance but they wanted 500 to pay there deductible. Once, again okay lets get a police report lets exchange info. They don't want the police involved and don't want us to have their info name or number nothing. They said if we don't have the 500 they would take a predated check. That a heck NO. So they came back yesterday same song and dance. They want their deductible paid, I told them I want some estimates or something showing there is damage. I mentioned lets call the police lets get a police report and I will call my car insurance while they are there and we can be done with it. Once again the they turn to leave saying see you in court. Should I call the police and file an report on my side of the accident? Should I call my insurance tell them what's going on. Go talk to neighbors and see if I can get there info to contact them? Or just wait and to see if they take us to court. I know I'm not giving them a postdated check and I'm not going to give them cash for a deductible. I'd rather go through my insurance. Thanks in advance.

They didn't turn it into their insurance because if they had, either you or your insurance would have been contacted. So that $500 isn't covering any sort of deductible. They're just wanting to get $500 out of you. I wouldn't pay a dime without estimates. Note that he doesn't have to actually fix the car. But he does have to prove his damage amount. I hope you took some pictures. And truth be told I think there may be a reason he doesn't want the cops involved the most likely of which being he doesn't have insurance. He left when you mentioned the cops. So if he's afraid of the cops, how likely is he to actually sue? And if he does, he'll have to get estimates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter