WWoHP and Spring Break

eianson

Mouseketeer
OK....so we are taking our first trip to Universal 4/1-4/3. I've read a bunch on here and think I have a pretty good handle on what to do. We are staying on-site, so we will have early entry and Universal Express (I know it doesn't apply to FJ). From what I've read, we should do Ollivander's, then FJ. Since we are at Universal for 3 days, we will probably do 2 mornings at WWoHP.

From our WDW experiences, we tend to get to the parks early, take a mid-day break and then go back in the evenings. So, what I am trying to figure out is how the evenings are at WWoHP during peak times. I'm thinking this might be a good time to explore WWoHP, beyond the rides, but I am concerned about the area being open only to those with return times. What are people's experiences with WWoHP in the evenings during a peak time, like spring break?

you are brave.

only did UO once during spring break.

never returned during the time period since.........:laughing:
i spend my time in lines for hhn.

to answer your question:
take advantage of the early hour entrance for the hotel guests.
your wait will not be bad during that time.
you can use the express lines all the time for the rides that have them.

the other time that will be beneficial is to return to potterville in the evening.
it is quite possible that the lines will not be bad during the last hour the park is open.

good luck and have fun there!!

I haven't been at peak times but just wanted to say if you have 3 days and front of the line access you will be fine even with peak crowds. FOTL will help you manage the other rides at both the parks so you'll have plenty of time for HP and HP land.

I would plan on doing FJ first one day and then Olivanders first the 2nd day with early entry. I would have that as my plan and then change it up if I see smaller wait times when you're actually at the park that morning.

Enjoy your trip! :goodvibes

Spring Break is extremely busy so make sure you pack your patience. I couldn't stand the lines before WWoHP opened and haven't been back during that time since. You are getting some really good advice from the other posters so make sure you have some sort of plan during your visit.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

you are brave.

only did UO once during spring break.

never returned during the time period since.........:laughing:
i spend my time in lines for hhn.

to answer your question:
take advantage of the early hour entrance for the hotel guests.
your wait will not be bad during that time.
you can use the express lines all the time for the rides that have them.

the other time that will be beneficial is to return to potterville in the evening.
it is quite possible that the lines will not be bad during the last hour the park is open.

good luck and have fun there!!

Bravery has nothing to do with it. ;)

My kids are getting too old to take out of school (like we've done for WDW in the past). And my wife would be miserable in the heat of the summer.

I'm figuring (or at least hoping) with 3 days, early entry and FOTL it will be manageable.

We'll have fun no matter what.:cool1:

Thanks for the info.

I haven't been at peak times but just wanted to say if you have 3 days and front of the line access you will be fine even with peak crowds. FOTL will help you manage the other rides at both the parks so you'll have plenty of time for HP and HP land.

I would plan on doing FJ first one day and then Olivanders first the 2nd day with early entry. I would have that as my plan and then change it up if I see smaller wait times when you're actually at the park that morning.

Enjoy your trip! :goodvibes

That is probably the way to do it. I'm just a little nervous about starting my almost-nine year old daughter on FJ. She is a little skittish about some rides (especially roller coasters), but she is getting bolder. She is very much into Harry Potter right now, so I'm thinking she will be OK, but I'll need to get her mentally prepared for spiders, dragons and dementors. My 11 years old son will go bananas for it, I'm sure.

Thanks!

you'll do fine.
utilize the early entry for hotel guests.
do potterville and stay until you are potter-ed out.
then hit the rest of the parks.

like i posted prior, try potter in the last hours before park closing.
many have posted they had none to little crowds during the last hour.

since you will be there during spring break, i can not guarantee the lull will be there at the end of the park day for potter.
but i will cross my fingers for you that it is.

express line will be your best friend during your vacation there.

Spring Break is extremely busy so make sure you pack your patience. I couldn't stand the lines before WWoHP opened and haven't been back during that time since. You are getting some really good advice from the other posters so make sure you have some sort of plan during your visit.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

That is one thing that is not a problem. I'm an obsessive planner. I had our WDW trips planned down to the minute. I'm sure by the time March roles around I'll have laminated cards with every step mapped out. I am a little intimidated by the Spring Break crowds, but I'm hoping good planning can overcome even that.

you'll do fine.
utilize the early entry for hotel guests.
do potterville and stay until you are potter-ed out.
then hit the rest of the parks.

like i posted prior, try potter in the last hours before park closing.
many have posted they had none to little crowds during the last hour.

since you will be there during spring break, i can not guarantee the lull will be there at the end of the park day for potter.
but i will cross my fingers for you that it is.

express line will be your best friend during your vacation there.

Thanks again. I had an opportunity to stay for free at my parents timeshare, but declined so we could stay on-site.....specifically for Express access.

That is one thing that is not a problem. I'm an obsessive planner. I had our WDW trips planned down to the minute. I'm sure by the time March roles around I'll have laminated cards with every step mapped out. I am a little intimidated by the Spring Break crowds, but I'm hoping good planning can overcome even that.
You wouldn't have to plan down to the minute like at Disney but have a general idea of what you want to do and where the attractions are located so you can have a route planned. I would also suggest eating at off peak times to avoid the heaviest crowds.

we're in the crazy crowd also!

DD wants to do WWoHP - and since we're doing WDW for Marathon - she's got Spring Break (She cant get out of school - Finals!)

Our spring break is the last week of March - so I'm hoping since Spring Break is different it wont be NYE type crowds :scared1: Crowded, wall to wall, but not scary crowded!

RIght now my plan is a Tues, Wed, Thurs, March 27, 28, 29... but I'm hoping NOT to stay in the expensive Universal Hotels...

That is probably the way to do it. I'm just a little nervous about starting my almost-nine year old daughter on FJ. She is a little skittish about some rides (especially roller coasters), but she is getting bolder. She is very much into Harry Potter right now, so I'm thinking she will be OK, but I'll need to get her mentally prepared for spiders, dragons and dementors. My 11 years old son will go bananas for it, I'm sure.

Thanks!

Hi,
This might not interest you or your daughter, as it's a massive spoiler alert, but to prepare for our upcoming trip I let my youngest watch the youtube videos of the FJ ride. She hates surprises and had already said she wouldn't ride FJ, even though she's a big potter fan. Having watched these she's very excited to ride and has a vague idea of what's in store :laughing:
Just an idea.

Hi,
This might not interest you or your daughter, as it's a massive spoiler alert, but to prepare for our upcoming trip I let my youngest watch the youtube videos of the FJ ride. She hates surprises and had already said she wouldn't ride FJ, even though she's a big potter fan. Having watched these she's very excited to ride and has a vague idea of what's in store :laughing:
Just an idea.

That is a good idea. I briefly scanned it the other day (didn't want to spoil it for myself), just to get a sense of the ride. Her main issue is that she doesn't like rollercoasters (I know it isn't a rollercoaster, but I think it simulates the speed)....I think she'll be OK, but I probably should let her watch.

We were there during spring break last year, stayed onsite and had one of the best vacations ever! Do WWOHP early or late at night. Express pass was great and made the crowds insignificant. We are total Universal converts, especially because they allow pets.

WWOHP was packed and had significant waits after the first two hours but things died down a couple hours before park closing. Your Disney strategy will work well. The Ollivander's line was long so follow the advice to do that before FJ.

We were there during spring break last year, stayed onsite and had one of the best vacations ever! Do WWOHP early or late at night. Express pass was great and made the crowds insignificant. We are total Universal converts, especially because they allow pets.

WWOHP was packed and had significant waits after the first two hours but things died down a couple hours before park closing. Your Disney strategy will work well. The Ollivander's line was long so follow the advice to do that before FJ.

Thanks! Glad to hear about your experience at Universal/WWOHP during Spring Break. If the crowds are down at night, I'm hoping to spend some time in the shops, which I expect to be mobbed the rest of the day.

We'll be right there with you! Same reason, kids can't miss school and its our only break other than Christmas, and same strategy, decided to bit the bullet and stay onsite despite the sticker shock. I think that we will all be fine, especially since there is so much less to experience than at WDW. We have done WDW at Easter and everyone said we were nuts and we have never had a problem as long as we have a strategy. Good luck and happy travels to you and your family!

we're in the crazy crowd also!

DD wants to do WWoHP - and since we're doing WDW for Marathon - she's got Spring Break (She cant get out of school - Finals!)

Our spring break is the last week of March - so I'm hoping since Spring Break is different it wont be NYE type crowds :scared1: Crowded, wall to wall, but not scary crowded!

RIght now my plan is a Tues, Wed, Thurs, March 27, 28, 29... but I'm hoping NOT to stay in the expensive Universal Hotels...

Really, really, consider one night at an on-site hotel for the benefits..... REALLY. That extra morning hour for WWoHP is worth a fair amount of money - so is FOTL privilege. I didn't stay onsite last year - third week of March - and for WWoHP - I wish I had......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter